Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #221

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Also had difficulties finding pre-fabricated UV strips in those miniature sizes. I NEED to find this thing soon...

And once I do I'll offer retrofit options $8 shipped - into an letter size envelope by snail mail

got them in a 8mm format only here... it's insane. Need them to fit "Porsche" lollll
What is a UV strip?

Tony

Old 01-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #222

Garage
Now I just need to find a 5mm pcb that functions like this:

dual color flexible LED pcb:
Old 01-06-2015, 01:50 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
What is a UV strip?

Tony
Ultraviolet. We used to call this "blacklight" back home. Got those in hands but in 8mm wide strip. In fact they are 8.7mm wide... almost 9mm (huge!). UV offers a pretty slick effect on the etched part and I'm 100% convinced some would kill for that. 8mm wide is the smallest it gets when looking at (pre-fabricated) 3028 type led strips at this end :/

Like I said for your dual-color led, DIY mate. Design the circuitry yourself using those free online pcb design software and get a good 'express' PCB printing business to do the pcb for you - and just solder the LEDs yourself. Not going to run you cheap (e.g $25~50 for one pcb) but I can't see this happening otherwise, or cheaper anyway.

At the time it appeared nearly impossible to find a supplier for those pre-fab single LED in the 5mm width config already (quality-wise left alone). Had to come from Taiwan... nothing 'good' locally. I can't imagine this being easy for something that needs a larger circuit. Sure you could get away with it in that 5~6mm width but you'd need a dual layers pcb design (DIY!!!).

I'm pretty helpless here very sorry bud
Old 01-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #224

Suggestion

Quote:
Kewl - PMMA sorted, and all the AL6061T6 stocks for prototypes just came in!!!

That plate will be used for a custom fixture. Hopefully this will machine 4 (four) at a time. All from scratch.... off to the CAM work now! I'll grab a few shots of when this is cutting, chamfering and anodizing soon

(Rottie not included, sorry)
I've heard it's not safe to keep a pet in China especially a dog. how does this work for you is this your dog?

Also you should send email notifications to your previous customers when you have something as cool as that for sale. I'll take one if you are still making them
TMStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMStewart View Post
I've heard it's not safe to keep a pet in China especially a dog. how does this work for you is this your dog?

Also you should send email notifications to your previous customers when you have something as cool as that for sale. I'll take one if you are still making them
?!?! Tom, can't believe you are asking me about my now 3y/old puppy. Yes, this is my dog. One of them. I have two rotties mate (male, brothers). Hobby, serious one.

And NO, our Chinese friends does NOT eat dogs or cats. South Asians (old generation) sometimes do but that is phasing out. Happens in South China only. Mid and north Chinese (90% of pop) people does not, they are embarrassed and repulsed by this weird eating behavior. Chinese care about their pets as good as anyone else - if not better (in many of the cases I've seen anyway).

Dogs aren't safe "in Canada" man. I had one of my rottie (Prince) shot dead by the RCMP in 1997 while they were carrying a raid on a neighborhood house (summer/country house, dog was loose that day). Won't go into details - its a car forum.

Yes - there are two kits left/available. Thanks for the sugg btw (touché, and sorry)
Old 01-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #226
Beginner

Garage
um... one kit available... Better strike fast!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
um... one kit available... Better strike fast!
Nice, that came in fast. Thx man

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-09-2015 at 03:42 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #228

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I had a run in with mr wind restrictor lol ( I shared Nine8six's project on a boxster group on Facebook) He called his product cheap and to get a real wind restrictor ..... lol but he ended up deleting that comment and replacing it with this, then followed by offering a discount

That's a "DIY" light kit for the existing plastic frame screen.

This one is a real wind deflector with steel bracket system, ambient lighting, accessories and all. 3x stronger than the OEM screen. WindRestrictor® Brand.
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
I had a run in with mr wind restrictor lol ( I shared Nine8six's project on a boxster group on Facebook) He called his product cheap and to get a real wind restrictor ..... lol but he ended up deleting that comment and replacing it with this, then followed by offering a discount

That's a "DIY" light kit for the existing plastic frame screen.

This one is a real wind deflector with steel bracket system, ambient lighting, accessories and all. 3x stronger than the OEM screen. WindRestrictor® Brand.
Poor chap must be feeling very insecure at the moment, I don't blame him for running his less-than diplomatic campaigns everywhere he can. e.g. Stylish looking & CNC out of AL6061 blades, anodized, 1200DPI etching resolution graphix, OEM looking, ouch loll

I have no idea what Windrestrictor.com aka kingpennindustries.com products are like - I have never purchased one from them so its impossible for me to make a judgment. Guess someone will need to spend over $300 to find out.

RE cheap, well.... he is not far off there lol that was the whole idea and the goal when I started designing the kit that you are looking at. I could make them even cheaper and use painted sheet-metal "steel" also LOL

Thx for sharing this info Martin, very interesting....
Old 01-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #230

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Poor chap must be feeling very insecure at the moment, I don't blame him for running his less-than diplomatic campaigns everywhere he can. e.g. Stylish looking & CNC out of AL6061 blades, anodized, 1200DPI etching resolution graphix, OEM looking, ouch loll

I have no idea what Windrestrictor.com aka kingpennindustries.com products are like - I have never purchased one from them so its impossible for me to make a judgment. Guess someone will need to spend over $300 to find out.

RE cheap, well.... he is not far off there lol that was the whole idea and the goal when I started designing the kit that you are looking at. I could make them even cheaper and use painted sheet-metal "steel" also LOL

Thx for sharing this info Martin, very interesting....
haha not to mention he had his employees liking his posts haha

I can't wait to get this installed and the projectors :P I am like a kid waiting for christmas over here :P
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
haha not to mention he had his employees liking his posts haha

I can't wait to get this installed and the projectors :P I am like a kid waiting for christmas over here :P
Mr Windrestrictor is a prime follower of this DIY thread. He should have knew better that the kit he was looking at wasn't a threat to his business. I've mentioned earlier that I had no intentions in mass-producing those commercially, even less duplicating/applying the design to other convertible model/make.

Reality is... those are limited quantity and available to 986forum.com members only. I challenge anyone to find this product listed elsewhere (ebay, amazon, etc). It is clearly listed as a "Limited Collection" and temporarily advertised as such on a totally irrelevant website (one kit left for grab).

What Mr Windrestrictor failed completely is taking up to 17 years to make one for our Boxster 986 - go figure. I desperately wanted one and they were not available and the only alternative/kit I could find was from his competitor made in Japan at an exorbitant $375 excl shipping.

Therefore - I made my own. Completely different design: glass mounted, slim, ultra-lightweight, stylish, heat managed, and easily retrofitable with any commercial LED strips, etc (perfect kit, durable, versatile, affordable). And in return, for having saved tons of cash by taking advice of top quality members here, the idea was to make them available to friends only (both here on 986forum and on our local pcar forum here in CN).

My little (cheap?) way to pay back to the community.

That's what it is. (was, initially) Keep reading.....

However, and after what happened earlier in this thread (PMs, threats, etc) a lot of people here, friends, employer and family recommended me to do the complete opposite (they are all following this thread as well). My employer, who also follows this and the projectors threads, registered the int'l PATTERN for the "AUTOMOTIVE CONVERTIBLE WIND DEFLECTOR LED DISPLAY" using their pattern attorney, all-at-their-cost. (i.e. not exactly cheap). Never in a million years we thought it would have passed with the int'l IP authorities (no other countries have appealed the pending application, not even USA, officially approved end Dec 2014).

INT'L PATTERN #: 201420777892.1 (not the common 'pending' fake thing, that's the real deal i.e. paid for)
APPLICATION #: 2014121200489000
OFFERS: AUTOMOTIVE CONVERTIBLE WIND DEFLECTOR LED DISPLAY
IP AUTH REQUESTER: SIPO.GOV.CN

My employer owns the aftermarket kit... not me (if anyone ask). Clearly he's not a huge fan of undiplomatic and rude business players. And before anyone ask, I have no idea where this is going... not my call.

I'm busy finalizing those 22 kits for you chaps here this weekend. Mood is gone.... quitting this thread for a while
(That info Martin.... really got me pissed this time. Not your fault I know)

^ Anyone need this "officially" translated this into English, it cost $245. Get your legal advisor to PM me for empl contact details

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-09-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:43 AM   #232

Fred
Ignore the bs. Not worth the emotional energy. Ranks lower than cats, car flipping, gun storage, or oil choice.
I admire your work and would like to add my patronage by putting dibs on that last kit. Still deciding color & pattern.
Thanks
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #233
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Consider that last one sold! Thanks Fred!
Old 01-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #234

Me think that Mr. WindshieldRestrictor (aka Mr. No Penis) will not be selling many products to anyone on this site or to any others that we all may have influence with.

Sorry for the stupidity, Fred, we all like what you are doing.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Fred
Ignore the bs. Not worth the emotional energy. Ranks lower than cats, car flipping, gun storage, or oil choice.
I admire your work and would like to add my patronage by putting dibs on that last kit. Still deciding color & pattern.
Thanks
Can we blame my silly emotional thing on too much sniffing pmma vapors?! Ducted & fan ventilation sys or not, you still can smell & puff-it real good. I SWEAR I was looking green when I woke up last Thursday morning :/

I'll have some more kits in about 2-3 weeks no worries. We need to have a few spares just in case also lolllll Got to assume they're all going to fail, blow your ashtray fuse, and catch fire during their first week (according to the latest online gossips anyway).

Tony, Tom, keeping one for you guys as well (reserved)

That gtp site got some pretty cool features I have to admit. Lets you sign-up for an instant notification when stocks are back (see grab below).

About that gtp site, if anyone have any concerns: its conn is encrypted with quality ssl from Comodo and the platform (Magento) is maintained with the latest security patches hours after being published. Host's files & folders and given the highest possible permission and that from the server /root acc. I rent a dedicated server mainly for this purpose (no no compromised cheap shared hosting pkg for me thank you very much). Host/server is based in SoCal (InMotionHosting), and so is your data (got nothing in CN, I use offshore bankacc also lol). So.... go ahead, technically it is the best I can offer in terms of ecomm and support atm (I'm not that 'cheap' no worries loll)

Old 01-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Consider that last one sold! Thanks Fred!
Sold out indeed - Thanks x1,000 Rick! Sending you some visuals shortly (this eve)... you sign-off on what's best for you mate. Can't thank you enough man

Got my mate Andy here today helping me with packaging. Its almost fun... sunday 1030am we need to cut 60 something pieces of carton. Custom-made packaging! I'll take pics of that, worth it lollllll
Old 01-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #237
Beginner

Garage
I went to the Whiningdickster site to review the 986 product and wasn't overly impressed by the site or the product. There is a subtlety in design that N8S understands and Whiningdickster completely misses. Must be over their head. The geometry of their product is clumsy, and the overall presentation, particularly when lit, is in your face enough to be ricey. I prefer something a little more carefully considered, refined and subdued that draws you in with attention to detail and not how sparkly it is.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #238

Garage
Another round

Nine8Six if you decide to make more deflectors, count me in on the next round. I had one of horses go lame about the same time you offering the first group. If you think a 986 is a black hole to throw money into, try owning horses. Glad the forum has a member like you.
davedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:41 AM   #239

Garage
I've ordered one peace and would like to connect it to the available outlet for the back window heating. Can anybody help me with the designation/type of the connector used for that?
Old 01-11-2015, 03:48 AM   #240

Its you! wasn't sure (thx btw)

OPTRONICS A46PBP

Intel ref.: Rear Defroster help - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

* circuit could be switched, relayed, I am not an expert nor I would know how to mod but sure some here knows. Let's see