Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2015, 04:23 AM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
I went to the Whiningdickster site to review the 986 product and wasn't overly impressed by the site or the product. There is a subtlety in design that N8S understands and Whiningdickster completely misses. Must be over their head. The geometry of their product is clumsy, and the overall presentation, particularly when lit, is in your face enough to be ricey. I prefer something a little more carefully considered, refined and subdued that draws you in with attention to detail and not how sparkly it is.
You mean, it is the Best-In-The-World

^ man do I hate myself for having used this sarcasm-ized punch line more than 10 times now :/ I'm getting the paying back slap now lol

thx J

Old 01-11-2015, 05:18 AM   #242
On the slippery slope

Garage
Fred,

You have more than earned the right to be sarcastic, even get a bit cocky if you like.( which you don't )

Your part-time "hobby" products are far and away higher quality and overal better that's the stuff others are floging from their "professional" companies
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:47 AM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
I'll have some more kits in about 2-3 weeks no worries. We need to have a few spares just in case also lolllll Got to assume they're all going to fail, blow your ashtray fuse, and catch fire during their first week (according to the latest online gossips anyway).
If you are making more then count me in for one next payday
Dualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #244
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Got your back, Fred!
No one shall stop you and your awesome work...
btw...another little idea, as ambient lights are becoming so popular:

3x3mm plastic inlays with side smd/led, maybe?
Old 01-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #245

Garage
Quote:
You mean, it is the Best-In-The-World

^ man do I hate myself for having used this sarcasm-ized punch line more than 10 times now :/ I'm getting the paying back slap now lol

thx J
congratulations, you did it! great to meet you everybody!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvaja9AE2rs
Old 01-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #246

I have been following this thread from the beginning and have wanted to order one of these for some time. If you make any more I would sure like to get one.
2011 BMW 335ix Coupe, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1960 VW Type 1, 1962 VW Type 2 Truck
AP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP328 View Post
I have been following this thread from the beginning and have wanted to order one of these for some time. If you make any more I would sure like to get one.
count me in too. I have been watching this thread for awhile. Been on vacation and come back to this... damn it! i missed out.
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by mump View Post
count me in too. I have been watching this thread for awhile. Been on vacation and come back to this... damn it! i missed out.
Don't forget you can go to Mr. SmallPenisRestriction and order one made from crappy material, with inferior engineering and get the awesome privilege of paying twice as much for it.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #249

Shipped - Tracking No. to follw shortly

All kits have been meticulously assembled, tested, and set-up to customer's reqs (design, led colors). No mistakes!

They are also out as off this morning! I now have everyone's tracking numbers in hands so I'll update the gtp site with those # at some stage before the weekend.

The usual shots

^ 17 kits for USA, CA, DE, and UK. before it leaves to the post office y'day evening. 5 others kits left in the mail using the local carrier's boxes... to add expenses to transport (nasty buggers). Those 5 kits were for some friends here in Shanghai, Beijing and one in HK. Soon 22 Porsche 986 will look pretty damn cool (eta 10~15days)

^ So this what Andy and I have agreed onto for pkg. We've spent long hours trying to find pre-fabricated 'keyboard style' boxes. Huge fail, all of what we found would have bent. So we went custom! Ordered a few one square meter of AB type carton (7mm thick) with a super hard side. Easy to bend but once dbl-rolled (15mm) it's all hard shell and ready to be trashed by our kind mailmen. Unbendable + Reinforced corners + Lightweight. Oh, and cheap!

^ When you'll receive it, no-no long scisors and blades...use a short blade to cut the corner reinforcement first

^ Bagged the hardware, your spare LED and other inside the box. Don't drop it on the floor or you may damage your spare LED strip (e.g. controller box weight falling onto the LED strip, dunno... could happen). LED strip is protected by the cabling but who knows for sure.

^ Pkg unfolded completely and the glass shows up. Clean your hands (no finger grease on the Skybreaker lol) and unwrap it onto a soft and clean surface (e.g bath towel). Use a 9v battery to let it shine for a few min, and store back in the original pkg until installation.

^ I've left the protective adhesive for assembly on the back side. I've worked on the kit from the adhesive side the whole time :/ Haven't touched the exposed/etched side a single time lol and treated your deflector the very same way I treat my Canon cam lens and other precious glasses. Hope you can do the same

^ Your LED choice #1 is already installed in the module and mounted on your win deflector. I'll document a few installation methods shortly e.g. Where to make the little hole inside your bracket for the wire to pass through and how to slide this in your existing bracket in the simplest possible way (nx week!)

^ There is the full content of your order. Cheaper than that you die lol

^ Included/additional in all of the kits is a 2mm Allen Wrench and a miniature Porsche metal badge. If you don't know where the badge goes... it plugs on the side on your racing shoes with hot glue

I'd like to thanks again to everyone who've supported this kit or shown interest. You guys are simply the coolest crowd I've had the opportunity to share stuff with. I will be eternally grateful for all of the supportive comments and kind words!

Got a few projectors orders from you guys on stand-by (apologies btw) so now we're all good and free to move onto getting those done. Making gt projectors will always remains what I like to do most and do best!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #250

Little lightwiregt observations

There is the sum up on the design's weight if anybody cares to compared it to the TUV and DOT approved standard for automotive wind deflectors. It is within its DOT regulated 5mm MAX thickness as well. Yes, wind deflectors' sizes & weight are defined by the automotive regulators... if anyone cares to know. There are safety reasons why Porsche and all other auto makers do not use thicker (heavier) materials when engineering their wind deflectors.

I personally think I've done pretty good (+20 s'thing grams, with the adhesive also lollll). The weight of a pack of bubble gum. Anyone care to call the Skybreaker a cheap kit I'll say screw steel

^ There a grab of the complete assembled kit on a scale with a 1g resolution.

^ and there is the weight our original DOT approved PC made glass from Porsche

Enjoy!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #251

Garage
Wow, just wow, Fred. Your work and attention to detail leave me speechless. Thanks so much!!
Old 01-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Wow, just wow, Fred. Your work and attention to detail leave me speechless. Thanks so much!!

I like my Englis'ish - thank god there are pictures to explain things LOL. Truly sorry about that and I'll try to improve I promise..... I often submit without reading, awful results lollll. Was late to catch a morning bus sry :/ Excuses excuses... all valid

Quote:
..... I'd like to thanks again to everyone
Old 01-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #253

Garage
Woo-Hoo!!!

Thank you so much for the update and pics Fred. I'm very much looking forward to getting the Skybreaker installed and answering the "Hey...where did you get that?" question,

I think the only concern I'll have is some thief trying to make off with it. Will have to make sure the top goes up every time.

Thanks again Fred for your meticulous attention to detail...just amazing!!

:dance:
Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 PM   #254

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Fred this project is amazing! I can't wait to get this installed and show it off to everyone!
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:38 PM   #255

gezzz.... posted in the wrong thread (ignore)
Old 01-15-2015, 04:19 AM   #256

Absolutely mind-blowingly Incredible!!! Nuff said
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:18 AM   #257

All that I can say is WOW! This wind deflector is absolutely awesome! I haven't been on the site in a while and thus missed the opportunity to order one of these beautiful creations Is there any chance that there is going to be another production run? I need this upgrade!!
doctorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #258

Garage
Looking forward to delivery Fred! Thanks for the pics and update! Outstanding work as always
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #259

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Looking forward to delivery Fred! Thanks for the pics and update! Outstanding work as always
Hey Bruce how have you been! Looking forward to the install pictures!
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:21 AM   #260

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
Hey Bruce how have you been! Looking forward to the install pictures!
Great Martin! Looking forward to yours as well!

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote