Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,308
Garage
Dash Speaker Mounting adapters

If you are looking to upgrade your dash speakers and do not want to destroy the factory speakers, I made an adapter plate so you can mount 4" speakers

I went with Infinity 4002cfx speakers as they are some of the most efficient speakers available and when I listened to them they sounded better (to me) than other speakers

The adapter plate should work with just about any 4" speaker,. Just be careful on the depth as on the right speaker, there is a bolt that sticks up and it will limit the depth available for a speaker

I also purchased from crutchfield speaker cabling adapters as I wanted to leave the speaker harness intact

Metra 71-017C Speaker Wiring Harnesses For select 1989-09 vehicles at Crutchfield.com

Here is a link for my adapter template
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jo4xvwi87e2sep3/986%20dash%20speaker%20adapter%20plate.pdf

I made the adapter out of 3/16" lexan. You will need to grind t a little to fit after you cut it out. I used a rotozip to cut out the adapter. The left and right are mirror images of each other. I also ground down the back side where the 2 mounting holes area little. It will make sense when you put it together

I used some 1/4" flat washers to act as spacers over the mounting studs on the speaker cover and also some #6 washers for the screws
You can see them in the pics below

I used silicon caulk to attach the speakers to the plates

The speaker mounting tabs will need to be removed with a grinder or dremel. I put the speakers in a baggie and poked the tabs through so the little metal bits from grinding would not get into the speakers

mounting plates




front and back of mounted speaker






attached with wiring

__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 07-20-2014 at 07:50 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Pdwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 2,076
Thanks

Very nice of you

Dwight
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
Registered User
 
rdass623's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: new orleans
Posts: 249
nice job on the plates, but when I removed my stock speakers, they were already destroyed. I just used a coping saw to cut everything away except where the plug was and slid in the new speakers soldering them to the existing connectors. having used the 4" polk speakers, I used my belt sander to grind off the mounting ears and they dropped right into place.
__________________
2005 Porsche Boxster S, 2000 Porsche Boxster 2.7L Base, 2000 Mazda Miata LS Supercharged, 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
Previous Vehicles: 2005 Ford Mustang GT, 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1971 Alfa Romeo GTV, 1999 Ford Mustang
1977 Toyota Celica GT
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:22 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Nine8Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Montreal, QC. (currently expat to Shanghai)
Posts: 3,085
Brilliant

Now We Can Dance!!! Just the inspiration I needed to get me changing my sad & stock speakers. Thanks for the template mate

__________________
______________________________
'97 Boxster base model 2.5L, Guards Red/Tan leather, with a new but old Alpine am/fm radio.

Last edited by Nine8Six; 07-21-2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: did I realy said that.... thx for that edit btn hehe!!
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 AM   #5
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,308
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdass623 View Post
nice job on the plates, but when I removed my stock speakers, they were already destroyed. I just used a coping saw to cut everything away except where the plug was and slid in the new speakers soldering them to the existing connectors. having used the 4" polk speakers, I used my belt sander to grind off the mounting ears and they dropped right into place.
Thanks

My factory speakers were in perfect condition, so I figured I would keep them intact in case I ever wanted to go back to factory , or if someone needed a set I would sell them

Had they been trashed, I would have used them as the new speaker mount.

I had looked for some pre-made adapters, but the links I found were all dead. So what you can't buy, you have to make
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:18 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Stiglitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 45
Has anyone else had a problem sourcing the Metra 71-017c harness adapter? I wanted to order them, but seems like Crutchfield is the only company that I can find it at. Wanted to try to install this weekend, but seems like its not going to happen if I can't find the harnesses.

Thx all in advance,
Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 34
Excellent. Wish I had seen this before I did all of my gyrations. I did manage to swap all4 speakers (2 door, 2 dash) and it is tremendously better. But this is very elegant, cleaner and simpler than what I did. Live and learn.
I do want rear speakers and am looking forward to seeing that plan.
ray_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:45 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Stiglitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 45
My mount test was somewhat successful, if it was not for my lack of patience. They ended up making the speakers too deep to install. Since the oem speakers ended up being toast, I went ahead and cannibalized the mounts. Install went very well, may have to pull them again to square away the connection to the oem connector, it may need some attention. I have the "ready to print" mount 3d template if anyone has access to a 3d printer. My local library has one, but unfortunately, the "plate" is too small to fit, so it would not work. Stinks, as the charge for the smaller one they made me was fifty cents!

Next up... rear speakers:
Speakers mounts have been made (out of plastic), fitted, and painted and installed in tray
Speakers in mounts, wiring of speakers is done
Speaker grills have been made (thanks IKEA trash can), painted and fitted, hopefully installing today

Left to do:
Run 4pair speaker wire to radio (will most likely run it under center console)
Connect wire to radio connector (not running it to amp, since I only have a 4 channel amp)
Drop in the tray and speakers.

BTW, I used a MOLEX 4 pin connector as my "quick connect/disconnect" from harness to speaker tray, hope that works ok.

Last weekend's work:
Dash speaker upgrade
Work on rear speakers (mounts/etc)
Wiper Blades
LED door courtesy lamps and dome lamp (white)
Clear side markers
Frunk hood shocks
Install working 3 stalk turn signal adapter
Install new power mirror switch
led's in 3rd brake light (redoing it, lamps did not fit very well)
Washed top of engine compartment
Air filter
Cabin filter (there must have been a family living in all the stuff I took out of there!)
A/C LCD fix (thanks 914 rubber).. took me 1/2 hour tip to tail, and had to do it twice as I initially put the LCD screen in upside-down!
New fog lamp bulbs (one was out)


To do next weekend:
Oil/filter change, install mag drain plug (I hope I can fit myself under car!) Don't have a flat jack, just a bottle jack and stands!)
Serpentine belt change, front of engine clean (if needed) Inspect alt/water pump, etc..
Finish off rear speaker install

My only ?? right now is that my power mirrors are still not working (I replaced the switch). Anyone have a wiring diagram of the switch/harness so I can at least see if I am getting power in there? (I know enough of a multimeter to be dangerous!). Neither of them work, appears to be OK otherwise.

DRIVE!!

Thanks to my wife for hanging out w/me and working on detailing interior while I work on car.
2002 Artic Silver, 70k miles.
Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:18 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Location Location
Posts: 67
I'd be interested in the 3d blueprints!

I gutted an extra pair of dash speaker mounts but I'd prefer a cleaner looking install.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglitz View Post
My mount test was somewhat successful, if it was not for my lack of patience. They ended up making the speakers too deep to install. Since the oem speakers ended up being toast, I went ahead and cannibalized the mounts. Install went very well, may have to pull them again to square away the connection to the oem connector, it may need some attention. I have the "ready to print" mount 3d template if anyone has access to a 3d printer. My local library has one, but unfortunately, the "plate" is too small to fit, so it would not work. Stinks, as the charge for the smaller one they made me was fifty cents!

Next up... rear speakers:
Speakers mounts have been made (out of plastic), fitted, and painted and installed in tray
Speakers in mounts, wiring of speakers is done
Speaker grills have been made (thanks IKEA trash can), painted and fitted, hopefully installing today

Left to do:
Run 4pair speaker wire to radio (will most likely run it under center console)
Connect wire to radio connector (not running it to amp, since I only have a 4 channel amp)
Drop in the tray and speakers.

BTW, I used a MOLEX 4 pin connector as my "quick connect/disconnect" from harness to speaker tray, hope that works ok.

Last weekend's work:
Dash speaker upgrade
Work on rear speakers (mounts/etc)
Wiper Blades
LED door courtesy lamps and dome lamp (white)
Clear side markers
Frunk hood shocks
Install working 3 stalk turn signal adapter
Install new power mirror switch
led's in 3rd brake light (redoing it, lamps did not fit very well)
Washed top of engine compartment
Air filter
Cabin filter (there must have been a family living in all the stuff I took out of there!)
A/C LCD fix (thanks 914 rubber).. took me 1/2 hour tip to tail, and had to do it twice as I initially put the LCD screen in upside-down!
New fog lamp bulbs (one was out)


To do next weekend:
Oil/filter change, install mag drain plug (I hope I can fit myself under car!) Don't have a flat jack, just a bottle jack and stands!)
Serpentine belt change, front of engine clean (if needed) Inspect alt/water pump, etc..
Finish off rear speaker install

My only ?? right now is that my power mirrors are still not working (I replaced the switch). Anyone have a wiring diagram of the switch/harness so I can at least see if I am getting power in there? (I know enough of a multimeter to be dangerous!). Neither of them work, appears to be OK otherwise.

DRIVE!!

Thanks to my wife for hanging out w/me and working on detailing interior while I work on car.
2002 Artic Silver, 70k miles.
square-root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Stiglitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 45
I sent the files to square-root

Install finished, hopefully I can post the pics this weekend

Great improvement, will probably get some Better repeaters within the next couple of months, these were dirt cheap
Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:26 PM   #11
Registered User
 
MarkAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: St. Charles, IL
Posts: 32
I would also be interested in the 3D drawings. I have access to a 3D printer.

Thanks

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglitz View Post
I sent the files to square-root

Install finished, hopefully I can post the pics this weekend

Great improvement, will probably get some Better repeaters within the next couple of months, these were dirt cheap
__________________
Guards Red Boxster S, born in Germany May 2004. LN spin on filter, litronics, roll bar mesh, wind deflector. Pioneer AVH-4200 hu, rear shelf box with speakers installed. 36k miles.
MarkAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:58 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 871
Have you thought about making a solution that would hold a replacement tweeter so you can use components?

I just upgraded or upgrading to Hertz 3 way components and the tweeter mounting became a headache.

Came up with a in-elegant solution of making a couple of small holes and a small zip tie as a strap and some electrical tape. Its working but I am still wanting to come up with a more elegant solution.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #13
Registered User
 
MarkAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: St. Charles, IL
Posts: 32
Stiglitz

Would you mind sending the drawings again? They were in my messages but when I logged in again they were gone

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAP View Post
I would also be interested in the 3D drawings. I have access to a 3D printer.

Thanks

Mark
__________________
Guards Red Boxster S, born in Germany May 2004. LN spin on filter, litronics, roll bar mesh, wind deflector. Pioneer AVH-4200 hu, rear shelf box with speakers installed. 36k miles.
MarkAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:46 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Stiglitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 45
Sent! via pm
Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:13 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: montreal
Posts: 2
I just installed a set of alpine Spg102C and used my factory rings which I modified but can still go back to the originals if I want. Hot glued them to the rings haven't had any issues. Even used the original harness.

Mine had the component tweeter in the grills but deleted them since the alpines where coaxial 2 way speakers. These grills are from a 2002 base model.

The 4inch alpines are a major difference from the original paper weights...





Attached Images
 
djsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page