Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I might do a "Economy" kit using a dash switch, I had a hard time finding a used 4 stalk for my own.
I would be interested in that.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
For those of us that have no clue what you are building and/or no idea what it allows you to do can you explain ? I have an 02 S what would this allow me to do ? Thanks
This is the wiring required for adding the on-board computer function to your car. Function is described in owners manual. You still need the control stalk and professional programming to activate the function
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #23

MY Cable

If you want to add OBC (On Board Computer) to show different information (outside temp, distance etc.) you have to get this feature turned on by a dealer or someone with access to a Durametric scanner then locate a 4 stalk switch assembly. Then you have to order the Volkswagen wires and connector and make up a wiring harness to install. THis will cost you upwards of $85 USD

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster On Board Computer (OBC) Upgrade / Boxster Turn Signal Switch Replacement - 986 Boxster (1997-04) -

MY wiring loom is already made up with the proper connectors , no forcing the wires into the white plug on the back of the instrument cluster. Also my harness looks factory OEM and is already made up and ohmed out and ready to install for $45 shipped.

Here is a few pics of the install last week
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #24

A Comparison

I am not putting anything or anyone down here. Bottom is an example of the cable using the information online, the top is my cable. I wanted something that looked factory in my car. I used to make up cables and do PC board level repair in the X-Ray business so I knew I could do better...also for almost half the money.

Thanks
Dwight
Old 06-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
For those of us that have no clue what you are building and/or no idea what it allows you to do can you explain ? I have an 02 S what would this allow me to do ? Thanks
what this modification will do is give you the ability to control the onboard computer. this is a trip computer, which displays various features like miles per gallon, remaining miles per tank, and similar features.
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
I might do a "Economy" kit using a dash switch, I had a hard time finding a used 4 stalk for my own.
Pd, If you do decide to move forward with the economy kit, please count me in. I'm having a very hard time finding a 4th stalk for my 04 S.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:57 AM   #27
pjq

eicheldp - did you try the salvage yards for a 4 stalk?
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:43 AM   #28

I have a 2001 Boxster and would be interested in the cabling for the dash switch version.
pgromada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:07 AM   #29

I would be very interested in an kit that allows me to turn on both OBC and cruise control...
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #30

Economy OBC wiring kit please. I already have the switch in the dash waiting for it!!!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #31

so you just need the harness..right ?
Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #32

Update

My connectors are in, my wire shipped from Chicago today so I should have it in hand at the end of the week. I made my harness you see in the pictures with scrap wire I had in my shop, I wanted the harness to all be the same so I ordered some wire so the color code would be universal. I should have some harness ready at the end of the week.

Thanks

Dwight
Old 07-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #33

Garage
Sounds great.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #34

to be clear this harness is good for both OBC and cruise control?
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #35

OBC only

This is for OBC only, it will connect the stalk to the Instrument cluster with the correct connectors.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #36

will you be making the harness for the economy mod using a dash mounted switch? fi you do, I would be interested in purchasing one. I have ordered a window switch in anticipation, and really am hoping it will not need to wait for me to figure out how to do it myself.
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #37

Econo System

I will be happy to make a harness for this system, I do not have a good source for the switches...I will investigate further. Can you give me a length you would need ?

Thanks
Dwight
Old 07-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdass623 View Post
will you be making the harness for the economy mod using a dash mounted switch? fi you do, I would be interested in purchasing one. I have ordered a window switch in anticipation, and really am hoping it will not need to wait for me to figure out how to do it myself.
Quote:
I will be happy to make a harness for this system, I do not have a good source for the switches...I will investigate further. Can you give me a length you would need ?

Thanks
Dwight
I would be more interested in the dash mounted switch harness too. Sourcing a stalk can be difficult, a switch not so much.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #39

Switch not Stalk Harness

This would be from the back of the Instrument Cluster (Gray Plug) to the switch located on the left panel of switches in the center cluster right ?

I could include extra length of wire in case you needed to reroute the loom. This would be no problem. Would you want standard push on (Stakon) connectors for the switch (s) ?
Old 07-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #40

Garage
Quote:
This would be from the back of the Instrument Cluster (Gray Plug) to the switch located on the left panel of switches in the center cluster right ?

I could include extra length of wire in case you needed to reroute the loom. This would be no problem. Would you want standard push on (Stakon) connectors for the switch (s) ?
PD - Include one for me for the switch mount version.
Thanks