View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #15
Pdwight

Two pitfalls

To watch out for, one make sure you mark the distance out for the 4 stalk so the clock spring does not bind. This is pretty easy I took a fine small flat point screwdriver and make a shiny mark on the column. The second one and this is much tougher is to get the new 4 stalk level so it is not too clockwise or anti clockwise . I think I adjusted mine 6 times before I was satisfied. The only way I could tell was to get it snug so you can just barley move it, then sit in the drivers seat and sight the arms of the 4 stalk against the dash pad. Then you have to get out and lay down to tighten the 4 stalk with a 8mm wrench...a socket will not work. I also took the opportunity to clean everything, apply protectant to all the dash that is not normally exposed and you cannot get to. There was something in my steering column and dash cluster that was light tan to brown in color, it wiped up easily......possibly someone stopped too quickly in the past and spilled a chocolate drink into the dash and airbag assembly.....it all cleaned up easily and after some protectant it looked like new. Be sure if you do this you do not test the car with the air bag unplugged or you will get the famous airbag light and need a trip to the dealer or dig out your durametric. I have not tried this but the airbag has a resistance of .3 Ohms, you should be able to put a .3 Ohm resistor across the airbag plug and not get a warning....but I did not want to chance this.

Dwight

Last edited by Pdwight; 06-21-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote