Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #1

single din flip up navigation

Figured id post this in the DIY section as its probably more appropriate... but has anyone installed a single DIN flip up navigation unit? I'm looking for the easiest transition and double DIN is a bit too much of a hassle for me.

I have an 03 boxster base with no bose.

dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I thought about doing one. But in the end i just went with a regular single din cd deck. The flip up screens I saw all looked kinda junky. I figure the nav on my phone works great, so why bother getting a junky nav deck. The cd deck does everything i could ever want besides nav. Much cheaper too.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #3

The motors in the flip up screens also crap out on you fairly quickly as well.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #4

Garage
Just go with a double din , if I can fit one then anyone can
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danch View Post
Just go with a double din , if I can fit one then anyone can
nah... hahaa
Old 06-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #6

No one else...seriously?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2020, 10:23 AM   #7

Reviving this old thread. It's time for me to upgrade from my iPod Classic thru the CDR220. Too much squinting down at a tiny screen - usually unsuccessfully - while driving down the road. I'd like to go with the double DIN touchscreen but the idea of moving the HVAC controls back down to the bottom doesn't excite me (I moved it up when I scotched the factory cupholders). If I have to move the HVAC down, I'd much rather put it into the spot one up from the bottom, but I haven't found a way to do that.

So... has anyone a single DIN flip-out multimedia unit? The screen while out covers the HVAC, but maybe the temporary retraction is seamless while fiddling with the HVAC? Does it cover up much of the vent? What about the stability of the screen while extended? Any other feedback?

Thanks, Norm

PS I'd like to stick with my current amp and speaker arrangement (dash, door, rear); I have replaced my 4 channel amp with a 6 channel from a 996, and replaced the dash speakers when they crapped out.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:27 AM   #8
A Porsche Guy

I don't believe any 2x7 radio will fit into the lowest part of the bottom center console. It is simply too big to fit into that cubby area. I re-located my radio during a trial and uploaded a pic so you can see why it wouldn't fit.

The screen viewing angles will play another factor where you want to put it. You will need a unit that has custom viewing angle adjustment. You will also be dealing with glare from the light when your top is down at that placement position.

You should listen to the others in 2014 and move past the single DIN. These units cost more money than DDIN on average and will fail quickly over time. It is outdated for 2020 even for our Boxsters. The DDIN setup will give it a cleaner OEM look.

Name:  RADIO RELO4.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  42.0 KB

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 08-17-2020 at 06:30 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:43 AM   #9

Thanks for the feedback but I'm a little confused by your answer. The only use for the 2nd-from-the-bottom position would be for the HVAC controls if I can figure out how to do that.

If I went with the single DIN it would go where the factory single DIN is now.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #10
A Porsche Guy

I confused myself. My HVAC control is on the bottom as shown and I pictured my setup while reading your issue. I thought you wanted to install single DIN flip at the bottom bay while moving up the HVAC at the same time which to me made no sense . There are several uses for the 3rd bay. CD storage tray, cassette tape storage (yes I know), storage cubby, HVAC, and temp gauges.

Your HVAC climate control is at the top bay from factory. You need to do pull the wiring harness down to the 3rd bay which shouldn't be too hard. Most with your setup want to bring it down to where I have it from factory. I heard that it was a very tight leash. By having the HVAC at the bottom bay it looks more uniform. It's like the two cubbies at the bottom like your setup or radio/cubby/cubby/hvac.

I suggest you remove the entire lower cubby storage. It's 5 mins total. Wear some gloves or your hands will be scuffed up.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/996-forum/1029276-climate-control-relocation-mk1-img_3393-1-.jpg

Here's a thread that might help you with more pictures when jaykay did his relocation.

Hvac and radio relocation - harness route

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 08-17-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #11

I put my HVAC in the 2nd from bottom location because I had a full leather cubby in bottom and didn't want to loose it plus HVAC is easier to adjust in that location. Sorry I don't remember exactly how I did it.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
I confused myself. My HVAC control is on the bottom as shown and I pictured my setup while reading your issue. I thought you wanted to install single DIN flip at the bottom bay while moving up the HVAC at the same time which to me made no sense . There are several uses for the 3rd bay. CD storage tray, cassette tape storage (yes I know), storage cubby, HVAC, and temp gauges.

Your HVAC climate control is at the top bay from factory. You need to do pull the wiring harness down to the 3rd bay which shouldn't be too hard. Most with your setup want to bring it down to where I have it from factory. I heard that it was a very tight leash. By having the HVAC at the bottom bay it looks more uniform. It's like the two cubbies at the bottom like your setup or radio/cubby/cubby/hvac.

I suggest you remove the entire lower cubby storage. It's 5 mins total. Wear some gloves or your hands will be scuffed up.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/996-forum/1029276-climate-control-relocation-mk1-img_3393-1-.jpg

Here's a thread that might help you with more pictures when jaykay did his relocation.

Hvac and radio relocation - harness route
I did complete the move and have not posted the results....I ended up cheating by removing the psssenger side underside panel and hvac duct and then tried two different routes before I was able to get harness to reach. I used painters tape to smooth the connectors and harness to push it through the triangle of doooom. Unfortunately, I have to do a shoulder stand and reach up behind the radio to release the radio connectors for radio removal......not fun.

I ended up practicing yoga so that could I do this job...

I did mange to split loom everything though. Funny I am minus my sticky radio knobs as well nothing seems work on them..
Old 08-28-2020, 08:41 PM   #13
A Porsche Guy

I'm glad you got it to work your way jaykay. For sticky knobs I follow Pedro's method with canned plasti dip I have around from another project. After a few attempts it came out good enough. I eventually sold that radio with no complaints.

I didn't do a great prep job cleaning which would of made the result better. You can try that method fixing radio keys. It's cheaper than buying new ones. You just dip it like a fondue and wait for it to dry.

My advice is wait until the knob fully cures before correcting any imperfections. You can always coat another layer. I didn't and it was partially dry so I had to use my hand to mold it and had to re-do it.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 08-28-2020 at 08:43 PM.