Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #1

Hvac and radio relocation - harness route

I am trying to route these two guys from the top centre stack down through here ( the metal triangle of death). What worked for you? Did you go left or right? I don’t see any easy path with out pulling the passenger duct down. I think I did the drivers side once and it was a pain..sitting like an astronaut with pedals stuck in your head. We’re you able to route into the lower stack from the side?

Attached Images

Last edited by jaykay; 07-14-2020 at 12:54 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
A Porsche Guy

Are you trying to relocate the factory radio down to the lower console? Don't!! I did that I can tell you it's a waste of time. The reason is the default Becker radio has a horrible viewing angle. You cannot see the display unless it's on the top console. It doesn't matter if it's day or night. You will have to move your head to the correct angle to view it.

Name:  RADIO.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  50.8 KB

My year has the HVAC control on the bottom and the CD storage on top of my lower console so I can only advise you for one part but it should work the same. What I did was use a wire hanger and a zip tie to route the radio cable and antenna to the lower console right down the middle pass the "triangle of death". Run the metal wire hanger up rather down creating a end from the top and the other end at the bottom.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-14-2020 at 01:29 PM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:59 PM   #3

Yes, I am doing both. I wont need to look at the Becker too much I am just using it as switched power for iPad charge and route into the audio system.

Really I should do it another way as it is extremely heavy. I will give your coat hanger trick a try but I have some serious red air bag harnesses (I think)in the way.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:42 AM   #4
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Yup, I remember that. Relocating the wires was fun...not, but doable. A wire hanger plus a string attached to it, became my weapon of choice over the years. Oh and pliers for grabbing the string.
It was a tricky job not to brake other cable connections by pushing the wire downwards and then yanking the string with the pliers through that triangle.
But that was the easy part...now you need to attach the bulky connectors to the string and fiddle those through the wire jungle ( I think I choose the right side as well, as it would spare me a few mm of that precious cable lenght).
A little PITA once, but when its done its done for good.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:04 AM   #5

Thanks man.....did you actually have to go through the Bermuda Triangle or did you go around it the right side. Will that even work?

Last edited by jaykay; 07-15-2020 at 11:33 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:52 AM   #6
A Porsche Guy

There are several ways Jay. You do not have to go through the triangle of death. You can simply go over it (on top). Picture an airplane. Don't fly through the thunderstorm clouds. Go higher in altitude to avoid it. Here are some pictures to demonstrate to you. The lower storage bracket will cover the triangle so you won't see it . The pictures is resized cropped down to 10% so it might be hard to see.

Name:  RADIO RELO01.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  39.8 KBName:  RADIO RELO2.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  41.8 KBName:  RADIO RELO3.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  35.5 KB

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-15-2020 at 06:00 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #7

Right side. Left side seems easier but the wiring harness is about and inch too short.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
There are several ways Jay. You do not have to go through the triangle of death. You can simply go over it (on top). Picture an airplane. Don't fly through the thunderstorm clouds. Go higher in altitude to avoid it. Here are some pictures to demonstrate to you. The lower storage bracket will cover the triangle so you won't see it . The pictures is resized cropped down to 10% so it might be hard to see.

Attachment 22450Attachment 22451Attachment 22452
Thanks man I did fly at one time so your analogy worked well. Yes I was eyeing that opening just above the eye of the storm.....sorry could not resist. It looks like you got both sets of cables through there at once ...when I first look at it I though it to be too tight for both.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
Right side. Left side seems easier but the wiring harness is about and inch too short.
Thanks I guessed this right and won't even try left based on your experience.....yes switching back horizontally uses up length