Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dover,Kent,England
Posts: 78
Lightening the load

Had my car for a few years now and she's a joy to drive every time, done a few mods which have made good improvements.

And as you can see she's in great condition for a 16 year old car.

she's worth more in entertainment value than financial value, so carried out a few mod's to lighten the load.
Attached Images
   

Last edited by whitecliffs; 05-06-2014 at 08:49 AM.
whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dover,Kent,England
Posts: 78
First thing ive done is remove the seats and has you can see in the photo

these whoppers weigh in at 20kg each



Got some Sparco's that are 8kg each bare, i'm using the standard seat runners so expecting

them to be around 13kg



The Sparco mounts need a bit of work but they will fit and be held in place with 4 bolts each runner.

Changed my exhaust earlier but didn't save that much weight over standard, but it does

looks and sound better





Seat brackets have turned out well and fit perfectly to the seat and the

fixing points in the car





Steering wheel and airbags system next weighed in at 7.5 kg



And replaced with a Momo Prototipo wheel at 1.5kg



Seats and steering wheel are now in place




Last edited by whitecliffs; 05-06-2014 at 10:26 AM.
whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dover,Kent,England
Posts: 78


I'm going to get some black mats to break up the grey carpet, plus i need to find some passenger side seat trims to cover the front of the runners, ive got the drivers side but the others are missing.

The seats feel good to sit in, but i'm nearly 13 stone and i reckon thats the max for these, so lts diet time.

Battery next and at 16.5kg not the heaviest of boxster batteries.



and now down to 6.5kg with this Odyssey pc680



Found another 7kg with the bumper inserts



l've also removed the air con system saving 13kg even though it worked well i've used it once.

Also having the under drive pulley fitted removal of the compressor may enhance this mod.



Spare wheel, tool kit and jack at 14kg as for a can of tyre weld and RAC card



So weight loss so far 67kg



Before ----------------- After

Seats 40 ---------------------- 26

Exhaust 15.5 --------------------- 12.5

Steering wheel + Air bag 7.5 ----------------------- 1.5

Battery 16.5 ---------------------- 6.5

Bumper inserts 7

Air con 13

Spare wheel 14

Total 113.5kg ----------------- 46.5kg

New battery fitted, bolted in a treat and looks good, well as good as a battery can look.





Also change this little lot, 5 of the plugs where loose no wonder the engine was making chirping noises when it was turned off, also the coil packs looked well pasted there sell by date but the tubes looked ok



So if your engine makes a chirping noise, your plugs are loose


Last edited by whitecliffs; 05-06-2014 at 09:59 AM.
whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dover,Kent,England
Posts: 78
Another 7kg gone, foam from around the engine bay, left a fair amount of glue
on the body work and was a pig to remove, even using WD40 to break down the glue.

But worth it for a nice clean finish.







Had a quick blast around without the carpet's fitted behind the seats and engine cover, noise level seemed ok nothing to high and light throttle was fine.

There's a fair bit of weigh in the 3 pieces covering the engine, the 2 carpets have a fair amount of foam giving scope to remove it.

Photo of the janspeed fitted.



So i've lost 74kg so far and for the moment that's it, the car has been off the road since the end of september and

it's time i got her back on the road again, so still looking to remove a few more kilos, but over a longer period......

Thought i'd add some weight, did a wrap on the center console came out looking good

thou it did take me around 4 hours



whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #5
Gone
 
Davev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NV
Posts: 249
Garage
Excellent post and good information. Thanks for taking the time to outline your project.
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
Registered User
 
The Radium King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,874
I just finished installing the Brey Krause R-9044 floor mounts for my seats - lighter than sliders and get you a couple of inches closer to the ground for a lower c of g; gotta be ok with a fixed seat position, however. also easy weight to be found in roof transmissions and wheels.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,236
I was going to lighten my car, but decided that if I lost 50 lbs of fat on ME it would be far better
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 782
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I was going to lighten my car, but decided that if I lost 50 lbs of fat on ME it would be far better
Why not both?


All those mods are very good for lightening. However, I think removing the bumper support is risky. It may be designed as part of the integral crash system. I can't really be the one to talk since I do not have an airbag on my car either, but light is good. I have almost all the same modifications done as too!
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
Registered User
 
truegearhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA (The Fan)
Posts: 683
Excellent post! I'm shocked you didn't take out the power top motor and transmission. That's normally the first to go. Also what about the cats? Finally if you're worried about the bumpers you can get gt3 bumper reinforcement copies for a couple hundred dollars. Again awesome post, great work
__________________
1997 2.5 Boxster NASA Time Trial track car
2003 911 C2
NASA HPDE Instructor
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dover,Kent,England
Posts: 78
Cats went a long time ago before i started this, but shame i didn't weigh them to see the difference



Did look at the Motors and Transmission but they only weigh 9.4 lbs ish and would rather have the electric roof
whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
Registered User
 
truegearhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA (The Fan)
Posts: 683
Are there any write ups on how to convert to manual steering? Is it possible to just loop the rack? I image that would save 15 lbs or so and you'd loose a pulley
__________________
1997 2.5 Boxster NASA Time Trial track car
2003 911 C2
NASA HPDE Instructor
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #12
Registered User
 
truegearhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA (The Fan)
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecliffs View Post
Cats went a long time ago before i started this, but shame i didn't weigh them to see the difference



Did look at the Motors and Transmission but they only weigh 9.4 lbs ish and would rather have the electric roof
Mine broke so it was an obvious choice. I'll have to weigh my old motor and transmission, I'd guess its heavier then 9.4lbs but then again if you're throwing out decimals you seem like you know.
__________________
1997 2.5 Boxster NASA Time Trial track car
2003 911 C2
NASA HPDE Instructor
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dover,Kent,England
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
Are there any write ups on how to convert to manual steering? Is it possible to just loop the rack? I image that would save 15 lbs or so and you'd loose a pulley
Wouldn't the steering be really heavy thou, like when you turn the wheel with the engine off.
Or is it once the fluids removed its easlier to turn, would be worth having a look at if thats the case.

Ok just had a look on you tube on how they did it on another car and it looks fairly easy as once you take the Boxster front wheel
off the pipes you need to get at are right in front off you.

l got the weighs of the motor and transmission off the Pelican parts web site, but i could be wrong, would be great if you
could weigh yours.

Last edited by whitecliffs; 05-10-2014 at 09:23 PM.
whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:20 AM   #14
Registered User
 
notech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Gibraltar
Posts: 62
Garage
If every gram is worth,
consider removing the motors and harness moving our mirrors.
remove carpets
remove spoiler motor
empty windscreen wash fluid!
I am interested in Manual power steer too, will look forward on yours feedback.
__________________
986 S - MY03 - low temp stat - test pipes with e-cut - Tarett UDP - 997.1 front grille, 997 GT3 RS rear grille like, 987 plenum,throttle body, intake. No power steering, I love the feeling!
notech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:50 AM   #15
Registered User
 
The Radium King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,874
if you remove a/c and power steering you have to sort out new belt routing. only way i can see is gsr sell a dummy pulley. otherwiise the a/c compressor is the same for 986/987/981 and the cayman r has an oem dummy pulley you can buy (ie, sucoast or bgb sell it).

steering is heavy with no ps (ie belt off) because you are still pushing fluid through the pump. you can convert the steering rack to manual, but note that most cars that are running manual steering conversion racks are (a) much lighter, and (b) have narrower front tires, so less steering effort required. i did find one guy with a 996 that was running a manual rack who said it was no biggie. factory race teames use a trw electric pump. no great weight loss, but you get better weight distribution (mounts low in front trunk instead of high on engine). buy them on ebay.uk for under $200. gsr sells the rest of the conversion parts required.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #16
Registered User
 
truegearhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA (The Fan)
Posts: 683
What about the fan that pulls air into the engine compartment from the right air vent? With headers, no cats, and a small muffler my engine bay is not nearly as cluttered and I'm guessing cools easier. I imagine pulling the sound deadening helps cool everything off as well
__________________
1997 2.5 Boxster NASA Time Trial track car
2003 911 C2
NASA HPDE Instructor
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 210
Garage
RE: carbon fiber wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecliffs View Post
Another 7kg gone, foam from around the engine bay, left a fair amount of glue
on the body work and was a pig to remove, even using WD40 to break down the glue.

But worth it for a nice clean finish.







Had a quick blast around without the carpet's fitted behind the seats and engine cover, noise level seemed ok nothing to high and light throttle was fine.

There's a fair bit of weigh in the 3 pieces covering the engine, the 2 carpets have a fair amount of foam giving scope to remove it.

Photo of the janspeed fitted.



So i've lost 74kg so far and for the moment that's it, the car has been off the road since the end of september and

it's time i got her back on the road again, so still looking to remove a few more kilos, but over a longer period......

Thought i'd add some weight, did a wrap on the center console came out looking good

thou it did take me around 4 hours



your skill level is way above mine. I tried several times to wrap the center console. never could get it looking good (ie. no bubbles or tears or creases). finally gave up, just going to hydro-dip it.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Winnipeg MB
Posts: 2,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I was going to lighten my car, but decided that if I lost 50 lbs of fat on ME it would be far better
+1 on that. I figure that until I drop the 35-40 extra pounds I'm carrying there's no point picking on the car. Those sport seats are getting a tad tight!
__________________
'99 black 986
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dover,Kent,England
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyakubuke View Post
your skill level is way above mine. I tried several times to wrap the center console. never could get it looking good (ie. no bubbles or tears or creases). finally gave up, just going to hydro-dip it.
Thanks it was a pain to get right but worth it in the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
+1 on that. I figure that until I drop the 35-40 extra pounds I'm carrying there's no point picking on the car. Those sport seats are getting a tad tight!
On a diet myself, i'm just under 13 stone and it's the max for my seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
What about the fan that pulls air into the engine compartment from the right air vent? With headers, no cats, and a small muffler my engine bay is not nearly as cluttered and I'm guessing cools easier. I imagine pulling the sound deadening helps cool everything off as well
Will have a look at that this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
if you remove a/c and power steering you have to sort out new belt routing. only way i can see is gsr sell a dummy pulley. otherwiise the a/c compressor is the same for 986/987/981 and the cayman r has an oem dummy pulley you can buy (ie, sucoast or bgb sell it).

steering is heavy with no ps (ie belt off) because you are still pushing fluid through the pump. you can convert the steering rack to manual, but note that most cars that are running manual steering conversion racks are (a) much lighter, and (b) have narrower front tires, so less steering effort required. i did find one guy with a 996 that was running a manual rack who said it was no biggie. factory race teames use a trw electric pump. no great weight loss, but you get better weight distribution (mounts low in front trunk instead of high on engine). buy them on ebay.uk for under $200. gsr sells the rest of the conversion parts required.
Think i'll leave this one then, thanks for the info
whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Peoples Republic of Kaliforneea
Posts: 686
Great writeup and kudos for "just do it." Although I would be leary without an airbag and the metal bumper support for safety reasons.
__________________
02 Boxster (DD sans kids)
03 Dodge Ram Quad Cab (Stuff hauler)
06 Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa (Personal weekend car)
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page