Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 09:14 AM   #1

Time to start putting my Boxster back together

I have the carpet dyed and am extremely pleased with that. I have the seats finished and should have scheduled more time for them. If you plan on doing this allow 4 days out of the car and be sure you have a sprayer or at least two cans of propellent on hand. I would have liked to done two more coats of pigment on my seats but I ran out of propellent and cannot buy it locally. I will be buying a HVLP finishing gun in the future. Here is a pic of my worst seat (driver of course) How it looked as it came out of the car, Middle "crows feet" and other things filled and sanded, and finished except for the conditioning cream that I have to wait at least 24 hours to apply. I have to admit that at the middle pic I was worried about my seats, that they would never look good again but the results speak for the selves. My "Mum" dropped by my house ans said.....Son you have ruined your car seats"

She will have to eat her words

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:26 PM   #2

Well done! And that middle pic is terrifying. I would not have slept well that night.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:27 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Well done! And that middle pic is terrifying. I would not have slept well that night.
I probably would have been looking on eBay for replacements or calling upholstery shops
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:08 AM   #4

Nice work!
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #5

Garage
Did you use leather filler and then re dye or just dye?

I need to do this to my seats but I'm concerned of the dye/filler becoming a double PITA 2 years down the road when it begins flaking and chipping off.
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #6

I used filler

The kit had filler and I used it, I didn't think my seats were in that bad of shape until I started filling the stressed areas. I found out (too late of course) you can actually mix the dye with the filler so it is close to the color and not stark white, this would have made for an easier time getting ti to blend. When I did my first coat of dye it didn't cover up anything....I was a bit scared that I had actually ruined my seats. BUt around coat 3 it really started to look good. I have 6 coats on them BTW , I misread the directions (They are not very good BTW) and was only allowing 20 min between coats of dye, you need 4 hours before recoating. My last 3 coats had 4 to 6 hours between. Lots of sanding after the filler so it blends smooth......I sure hope the stuff is really there for good.

The finished results of the seats and re-dying the carpet
Old 08-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #7

Garage
After sanding, is the filler still flexible? For some reason it reminds me of drywall putty that dries brittle
Old 08-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #8

Yes it is

I did one stress area first and let it dry, I flexed the seat and tried to get it turn loose and it would not.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #9

Garage
This is good news
Old 08-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
The kit had filler and I used it, I didn't think my seats were in that bad of shape until I started filling the stressed areas. I found out (too late of course) you can actually mix the dye with the filler so it is close to the color and not stark white, this would have made for an easier time getting ti to blend. When I did my first coat of dye it didn't cover up anything....I was a bit scared that I had actually ruined my seats. BUt around coat 3 it really started to look good. I have 6 coats on them BTW , I misread the directions (They are not very good BTW) and was only allowing 20 min between coats of dye, you need 4 hours before recoating. My last 3 coats had 4 to 6 hours between. Lots of sanding after the filler so it blends smooth......I sure hope the stuff is really there for good.

The finished results of the seats and re-dying the carpet
Pdwight,

I like the two tone leather of your seats. Did you dye both the center portions and the outer portions of your seats? What did you do to prevent an accidental colorization of the wrong part?
Old 08-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #11

Easiest part of the job

I took some plastic and tucked it into the back and seat areas covering the black part.....where I couldn't tuck I simply used "Blue Tape". I also taped all the controls ...any part that got sprayed could be easily cleaned with alcohol even the next day.