Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 03:37 AM   #1
Sunseeker

Overheating

Hi All

I have a 2000 2.7 boxster, that i have never heard the cooling or engine blower fans running on.
Car got quite hot in a queue to get on a ferry... and seems to have developed a leak from the engine compartment side of the header tank... I have removed all this (with difficulty) and i am going to run longer pipes from the underside of the header tank which is newish ... buy drilling out the plastic plate and then connecting the pipes to the metal ones on the engine bay... all as Pelican suggest
I want to test the fans but don't have aircon on the car is there any other way of running the fans without running the car for long periods... I do seem to have 4 relays where the low and high speed ones are though.... I am looking a porsche diagnostic tool on fleabay....

Thanks Mark

sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Beginner

Garage
I just cleaned out the volume betwen my AC condensers and my radiators. It was about 20% blocked with trash. If you have not done it - look for strings on this forum to do it. Your problem may be solved.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:10 AM   #3

Up Up Chúc bạn lên tốp sớm với bài viết của mình nhé
seowappro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:00 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I am not aware of a way to test the fans, but a PIWIS may be able to. The fans coming on in a queue is normal. There is no air getting pushed into the radiators when you are stationary. I have only had the fans come on while in traffic or when stopped for 15+ minutes. It's nothing to worry about.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
I just cleaned out the volume betwen my AC condensers and my radiators. It was about 20% blocked with trash. If you have not done it - look for strings on this forum to do it. Your problem may be solved.
Hey Jamesp,
I was interested in what you did, so I searched for threads in DIY for your topic but can't find any(?) What should I search for specifically? Or, can you suggest a link?
Thanks
jc986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:48 AM   #6

You can use a Durametric (or the $25 China version) to turn the fans on and off.

I've done it on my 01 S to test the various components and it works great.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
Sunseeker

Hi

Thanks for all the advice.... I bought the durametric.....downloaded and plugs in ok i have a couple of faults to sort now !! but i can not see a tick box under mobitonic 7.2 or on cooling / ac to turn the fans on? Any thoughts???

Thanks Mark

2009 Metallic Blue Alfa Brera

1994 Range Rover... Quivering mass of micro switches
Old 02-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc986 View Post
Hey Jamesp,
I was interested in what you did, so I searched for threads in DIY for your topic but can't find any(?) What should I search for specifically? Or, can you suggest a link?
Thanks
Sorry for the late reply The first thing to do is take off the front bumper. Just hit the brakes hard, or use the strings on this forum. I just hit the brakes hard.

The next thing is to remove the rubbery plastic intakes in font of the radiators ( about 5 screws as I recall), they can be seen just below and outboard the holes for the headlights. Then the harder part, separating the AC condenser from the radiator. remove the bolts holding the inboard side of the condenser.; this seems to do nothing because of the set the AC hoses have taken holding the condenser in place, but wiggling the hoses allows you to remove tab on the condenser from the black plastic slot on the radiator so you can clean out the trash between the condenser and the radiator as shown in this picture.

After cleaning put it all together and enjoy a cooler running car.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #9

Garage
I have a 99. I was able to check the fans by removing the 4 relays for the fans in the fuse block and using a JUMPER wire. Put one end of the wire in the bottom and top slots for each relay and the fans should go on. 2 are for low speed 2 for high speed. found out my right fan wasnt working at all, was binding and causing my fuse block to fry and the left fan was only working on high speed. If you search the forum there are good pics to show what needs to be done.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Sunseeker

Hi Mike

Thank you for this, I shall pull the relays and try this at the weekend !!

Mark

Old 03-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
Sunseeker

Hi All ..... it goes on...

Jumped relay 8 in the boot and this turned the engine compartment fan, put the relay back in and unplugged the socket to the engine compartment sensor and completed the circuit but fan wouldn't come on... relay tested OK.

Pulled the high an low speed relays, jumped them, left side the fan would not run high or low, right hand side was OK, all relays tested OK.

Started the car up, connected the durametric, couldn't get the temperature up to turn the engine compartment fan on as it needs 80c in the compartment or an engine temperature of 102c, but both low speed (left/right) fans came on when temperature hit 100c (all temperaures switching as shown in workshop manual)... being cold here in the UK 7-8c engine temperature then dropped back to 96c

Can only assume there was corrison on the relay spade connectors, software does help the testing though..