Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #1521

Most likely failed AE, what a surprise... :/ Strobbing as bad connection could happen, never seen/heard tho. I've heard of a few inverter dying however causing flashing led as if the current wasn't sufficient. Best way to test is to take the good-headlight led inverter and try it on the right(bad) side.

You need to file warranty claims man. Send me a pm if you plan on replacing the whole led assembly.. if you got the time (I have something like 200 pairs of those left here.. pls take them all lolll)

Old 09-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #1522
Beginner

Garage
The LED string appears to be fine. I don't run them with the headlights on (thanks Particlewave for the relay circuit) The DC to DC stepdown transformer (12 to 9.75 VDC) seems to be crapping out. I just bought 10 of them on EBAY for $10. Good for 2A which is way more than needed.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #1523

One of our folk here once asked me if he could feed them the full 12VDC hoping to have then red/fire hot with sparks coming out. He's into the venom look loll ... tough it was creative

Sorry to hear about all the trouble bud, let me know if I can be of any help. Anything from this side of the world for y u
Old 11-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #1524

Hi Fred
I have had my set now for about 3 years and while still working the bulbs are very slow to fire up 20-30 seconds. What do you suggest to improve?
Thanks
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #1525
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavis.d View Post
Hi Fred
I have had my set now for about 3 years and while still working the bulbs are very slow to fire up 20-30 seconds. What do you suggest to improve?
Thanks
Do they both do it and did it start at the same time on both? If yes, pull and clean the headlight switch by spraying electrical contact cleaner down the shaft so it gets inside while turning the switch back and forth.
If that doesn't fix it, buy a spare set of bulbs and ballasts and replace as necessary. They are not expensive.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:03 AM   #1526

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Do they both do it and did it start at the same time on both? If yes, pull and clean the headlight switch by spraying electrical contact cleaner down the shaft so it gets inside while turning the switch back and forth.
If that doesn't fix it, buy a spare set of bulbs and ballasts and replace as necessary. They are not expensive.
No its both, just very slow, so what you sad. Time for some replacements. Do you know what fitments the bulbs are?
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #1527
Need For Speed

Garage
particlewave said "pull and clean the headlight switch by spraying electrical contact cleaner down the shaft so it gets inside while turning the switch back and forth" I'd try that first before buying anything.

Not related to your issue, but some have had an issue with the Angel Eyes. Over 2 years since mine were done by particlewave and the Angle Eyes still work perfect.

Last edited by KRAM36; 11-14-2017 at 02:25 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:12 AM   #1528

I would very much like to get a set of these for my Boxster. Is this something that you are still selling, Nine8Six? I see people asking to be put on a waiting list for the next batch?
dchutinaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #1529

Why isn't someone producing these. I would like to buy exactly these. How do I get ahold of this. Is anyone selling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
particlewave said "pull and clean the headlight switch by spraying electrical contact cleaner down the shaft so it gets inside while turning the switch back and forth" I'd try that first before buying anything.

Not related to your issue, but some have had an issue with the Angel Eyes. Over 2 years since mine were done by particlewave and the Angle Eyes still work perfect.

2000 C2 Aero - Track Car
1965 Dodge Coronet 440 - Nostalgia
lowpue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:33 AM   #1530
Need For Speed

Garage
I don't know what the deal is with Nine8Six. He could have all his products for sell right now and be making money hand over fist. He comes up with a new idea, people love it, he makes them and seems to get bored and moves onto another project and drops the previous product.

I can understand your frustration of not being able to purchase.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #1531

Your car looks fantastic with those headlights. If you or anyone else wants to sell them, please contact me.

To your point, Nine8Six does amazing work...I have bought his center caps...also a work of art. I run them on my 997. The talent on this forum is amazing.

Quote:
I don't know what the deal is with Nine8Six. He could have all his products for sell right now and be making money hand over fist. He comes up with a new idea, people love it, he makes them and seems to get bored and moves onto another project and drops the previous product.

2000 C2 Aero - Track Car
Old 11-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #1532

Garage
Quote:

My guess is that these items are more of a hobby and we are the fortunate recipients of his talent. They are limited editions Buy them when you have the opportunity
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:02 AM   #1533

I wonder if licensing would be an option to manufacture. There are many 986 and 996 owners who love there cars but would love to modernize the headlights. There has got to be some decent business there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
My guess is that these items are more of a hobby and we are the fortunate recipients of his talent. They are limited editions Buy them when you have the opportunity
2000 C2 Aero - Track Car
Old 12-04-2017, 04:57 AM   #1534

I am in for the next set as well!
all986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #1535

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpue View Post
I wonder if licensing would be an option to manufacture. There are many 986 and 996 owners who love there cars but would love to modernize the headlights. There has got to be some decent business there.
A few pages back Fred said someone is working on something along these lines and it will be announced around the end of the year I believe.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #1536

Quote:

Like any Hobbyist playing with the Boxster and making stuff for it is an optional as time permits type thing since there is a day job and family that also has its demands.

Setting up the equipment to produce dozens of these sets is time consuming so you must be able to appreciate that a significant commitment needs to be made and its not like he is making much money on any of this stuff so its better to license the product and move on.

As a tinkerer myself what you say is also true. You innovate and produce something for an initial group and then move on to something else (Hobby!). Think of it as a limited edition product that turns out to be more valuable after you see other people with them but you can't have one because you missed the boat.

I bought a set that I have not installed yet, I just happen to be back on the thread looking for the instructions of dismantling the headlight in order to do the install. I bought a practice headlight to bake in the oven to release the glue for the lens removal and once that practice is done they are going in the car.

You might be able to convince others who have uninstalled or even installed kits and see what price they might accept to part with their lights. I paid around $375 delivered if I recall correctly.

As an alternative to Nine8six projectors you could get these others if you cant wait for the new batch.(I'd wait, it will be worth it)
Check post #1 DIY HID Projector Install instructions
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 12-06-2017 at 04:01 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #1537

Nine8Six, Will you be producing these again? I would Love a set for my 99' 996... Throw me an email if you can... gregcoleman81@yahoo.com
Gregcoleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #1538

I have been looking through this thread with interest and am interested in updating my 986S.

Please let me know how much and when the next batch is expected.

You are doing a fantastic job of keeping 986s looking modern.
Rav 986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #1539

Send a message via Skype™ to Terryg
Any update on these Fred, my lights are rubbish and I need to upgrade but was hoping yours would be ready soon rather than buy something else now and change again when they are.
Terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #1540

Really looking for an option like this would love to know what's up with this as well.

RTK90 is offline   Reply With Quote