Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 04:19 PM   #1321

I've ordered a kit and am going to take the plunge, but I have a few questions, some of which will be answered when the kit arrives. Looking at some of the pictures of finished conversions, it seems like some have chosen not to paint their reflector bowls or any other interior parts. Is that correct? I think I would prefer not to do any painting, but if everyone else has painted and that's the way it really looks good, I guess I will paint.

Reading the instructions, it looks like the hole for the high beam bulb just stays empty? Do I need to remove the ring that holds the high beam bulb in?

Looking at the instructions and the picture of the kit, there are wires from the projector bulb and angel eyes that go to the connectors for the old bulbs. Do those wires come with the kit, or do I need to buy those separately? If I need to buy wire, what size?

Are the extra wires on the diagram in the kit although they're not shown in the kit picture?

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #1322

Hey Paul

1. You must paint the interior with satin black otherwise the car just won't start. Seriously; its your choice really. All of today's (modern) sport cars have them with black interiors hence the idea of painting them. That's what look best (x1,000) if you ask me, but not mandatory at all.

2. The high beam becomes obsolete with those bi-xenon optics, and so is the socket/hole for the bulb. It is safe to remove the bulb... the back sealed cover is sufficient to prevent dusts to enter the headlight assembly. The high beam connector's 12v is what triggers the bi-xenon solenoid cutoff plate!

3. You do not have to buy additional wires. Those are all included in the kit. They just don't show up on the rendering you've posted above (got lazy doing CAD cabling loll).

Shipping all 26 kits along with a few center caps this coming week!! Crazy I know (twenty-six kits).

Busy this weekend re-machining the small adapters that house the HID bulb in the back of the projector :/ I guess that's what happen when you get new machine-tools and German controllers. Those were initially threaded with a 1.25mm thread while the optic takes a 1mm thread. Crazy mistake... luckily those are quite easy to remake but regardless I have to throw out 180+ parts in the bin.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:52 PM   #1323

^ Re-doing those little adapters on the benchtop lathe this time. One-by-one, just got 52 to do lolll Not the fastest (time: 2m40s/adapter) but at least I know that this controller will behave and thread those as per postprocessor. I'll sort out the production lathe's controller/threading cycle next week.

Life: How to screw up your Saturday night!

Old 08-12-2016, 09:44 PM   #1324

Garage
Mine are not painted and love the way they turned out. Really a personal preference. Take a look through the thread to see what you like best
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:36 AM   #1325

That is a beautiful website, Fred.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #1326

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Hey Paul

1. You must paint the interior with satin black otherwise the car just won't start. Seriously; its your choice really. All of today's (modern) sport cars have them with black interiors hence the idea of painting them. That's what look best (x1,000) if you ask me, but not mandatory at all.

2. The high beam becomes obsolete with those bi-xenon optics, and so is the socket/hole for the bulb. It is safe to remove the bulb... the back sealed cover is sufficient to prevent dusts to enter the headlight assembly. The high beam connector's 12v is what triggers the bi-xenon solenoid cutoff plate!

3. You do not have to buy additional wires. Those are all included in the kit. They just don't show up on the rendering you've posted above (got lazy doing CAD cabling loll).

Shipping all 26 kits along with a few center caps this coming week!! Crazy I know (twenty-six kits).

Busy this weekend re-machining the small adapters that house the HID bulb in the back of the projector :/ I guess that's what happen when you get new machine-tools and German controllers. Those were initially threaded with a 1.25mm thread while the optic takes a 1mm thread. Crazy mistake... luckily those are quite easy to remake but regardless I have to throw out 180+ parts in the bin.
Thanks for the info Fred, this is going to be a winter project for me. It will give me some time to think about the paint!
Old 08-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #1327
Custom User Title Here

Garage
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:04 AM   #1328

Blinking angel eye

https://youtu.be/TMVHdNleMHI

I've had the projectors installed for about 8 months now and one of the
Angel eyes is now blinking. I rewired everything on the
Back of the headlight and it is still blinking. Take a look at the video.
Any ideas? I really don't want to crack the lens open again.
'04 Boxster S - Basalt Black, Fabspeed exhaust and sport headers, UD pulley, Pedro's Bluetooth, GT projectors, 18" Cayman S wheels, Evo cold air intake, IPD plenum, 74mm TB, Ben's SSK with ICT shifter boot, Fabspeed ECU Tune.
F18febe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:30 AM   #1329

I've been having some problems with these headlights firing up for a few months now. The problem is this, I start the car and then turn on the headlights. Sometimes they fire right up and gradually brighten but sometimes they don't fire up at all. Last night they fired up, warmed up and I started driving. I was on a back road and hit the high beams. The headlights turned off. Turning the headlight switch on and off didn't do anything. Pulling the high beam switch made a momentary flash but didn't turn the headlights on. I pulled to the side of the road and after fiddling with the switches including the high beam, the lights fired up and then worked perfectly for the drive home.

Any thoughts on what to look for?
Old 08-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #1330
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewd3 View Post
I've been having some problems with these headlights firing up for a few months now. The problem is this, I start the car and then turn on the headlights. Sometimes they fire right up and gradually brighten but sometimes they don't fire up at all. Last night they fired up, warmed up and I started driving. I was on a back road and hit the high beams. The headlights turned off. Turning the headlight switch on and off didn't do anything. Pulling the high beam switch made a momentary flash but didn't turn the headlights on. I pulled to the side of the road and after fiddling with the switches including the high beam, the lights fired up and then worked perfectly for the drive home.

Any thoughts on what to look for?
Pull the headlight switch and give it a good cleaning by spraying contact cleaner inside of it while switching it back and forth.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:07 AM   #1331
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18febe View Post
https://youtu.be/TMVHdNleMHI

I've had the projectors installed for about 8 months now and one of the
Angel eyes is now blinking. I rewired everything on the
Back of the headlight and it is still blinking. Take a look at the video.
Any ideas? I really don't want to crack the lens open again.
Looks like it's failing. Unhook it for now (both) and I'll put together some tests for you to find out for sure.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #1332

Thanks a bunch, PW.
'04 Boxster S - Basalt Black, Fabspeed exhaust and sport headers, UD pulley, Pedro's Bluetooth, GT projectors, 18" Cayman S wheels, Evo cold air intake, IPD plenum, 74mm TB, Ben's SSK with ICT shifter boot, Fabspeed ECU Tune.
F18febe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #1333
Custom User Title Here

Garage
FYI for all that have these installed or plan to install

LEDs don't like heat. The LED angel eye halos are inside of the projector unit with the HID bulb, so you really don't want them powered on while the HIDs are on.

It is wise to put them on a relay so that they are off when the HIDs are on. This will greatly extend their life and prevent premature failure. Wiring shown below...

Old 08-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #1334

Today I finally installed the headlights I purchased 2 years ago ! How time flies when you are busy . Anyway I picked up some seals locally and treated them with a good coating of Vinylex before installing . Installed the seals and started the remove/replace sequence. It was surprisingly easy and no drama to report . I started the car, started going through the various light checks and the damn things worked I did have a slight rattle in one light but after looking the light over one of the sockets had come unseated. Gently pulled/prodded until I felt it pop into place. I went with no angel eyes and kept the amber interior lense but went with grey/smoke outer lense. I think it looks great .
If these pics work out they are some crappy pics I took inside the man cave today.

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #1335

Ummm hit the send button too soon

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #1336

Can you tell us what relay?

I'm waiting for my kit and the relay looks like a good idea. Can you tell us what relay to use? Also, the wiring diagram pictures show the interior/back of the headlight with the stock bulbs in place. Does anyone have any pictures of the wiring with the actual projector lights in place and showing where/how to mount the relay? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
LEDs don't like heat. The LED angel eye halos are inside of the projector unit with the HID bulb, so you really don't want them powered on while the HIDs are on.

It is wise to put them on a relay so that they are off when the HIDs are on. This will greatly extend their life and prevent premature failure. Wiring shown below...

Old 08-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #1337

rfuerst911sc thanks for those pictures. I am not going to paint the interior of my lights at all. Your pictures are very helpful to me, my 2003 seal grey headlights will look a lot like that, but I will have the angel eyes and no amber on the bottom!
Old 08-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #1338

hey bro! What's the status on the delivery?
Nine9ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:55 PM   #1339

Got an email last night from the GT Collection telling me my order has shipped! Woo Hoo!!!!
Old 09-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #1340

Has anybody received their kit yet? I think I got the shipping confirmation a couple weeks ago but still no sign of em.

2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote