Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
The LED DRL looks amazing. Would love to know how that is done.
Thanks

The round halos come with the GT Projectors. The light bars in the headlights are 6" CCFL's (cold cathode fluorescent lights).
I mounted an acrylic tube in the upper turn signal portion (inside the headlight) which extends to just outside of the case so that the CCFL bulbs can slide in and out for changing when they burn out.
The acrylic tube has a clear window in the front, but the rest was painted with a "mirror finish" paint so that all light is reflected forward for maximum light output. They are nice and bright

I don't have any pictures of the process or of the inside of the headlight showing how the tube is mounted.

And yes, I made some orange light bar side markers to match

Despite how it looks, they really don't affect turn signal visibility much.

Last edited by particlewave; 07-23-2016 at 09:45 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
The round halos come with the GT Projectors. The light bars in the headlights are 6" CCFL's (cold cathode fluorescent lights).
I mounted an acrylic tube in the upper turn signal portion (inside the headlight) which extends to just outside of the case so that the CCFL bulbs can slide in and out for changing when they burn out.
The acrylic tube has a clear window in the front, but the rest was painted with a "mirror finish" paint so that all light is reflected forward for maximum light output. They are nice and bright.
Are the CCFL's known to burn out? How often do they need to be changed? I'm leaning to LED's with a diffuser but so many of them are crap. Need to find a reliable one.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
Are the CCFL's known to burn out? How often do they need to be changed? I'm leaning to LED's with a diffuser but so many of them are crap. Need to find a reliable one.
Can’t comment on CCFL as I've never owned, tested, or even seen them myself. All I know is the professional car lighting system retrofitters that I personally know here in Shanghai and Tokyo simply do not install CCFL since a few years already. For two reasons; long phased out (using laser now), and categorized as unreliable. Perhaps the CCFL types that you guys are getting in the Americas are far superior in terms of supported technology, I have no idea.

If you ask me; personally I don’t use anything other than Xenon in my custom headlights for both low & high beams (bi-xenon). I need the output/temp and cutoff to be in line with local DOT regulation here (our cars requires yearly inspection). Those CCFL would automatically fail inspection here hence why ppl here just don’t install them anymore.

Same goes for the lower bumper DRL led bars i.e. those aftermarket DRL with overly powerful LEDs blinding the day light out of incoming traffic. Totally illegal if found to be aftermarket (car impounding + fines). In China/Shanghai anyway.

Lighting system designers here and JP now uses laser diodes and optical fiber to dress up headlights & taillights. Softer look & feel and safe(r) in terms of lumen output. Not my thing/taste at all but designed and installed carefully, those fiber optics 'supposedly' passes inspection here (I've heard, haven't tried lolll). Something worth looking into if you are into this kind of stuff.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #4

At the shop doing those atm, tought I'd share my setup

Those are my angel eyes. As subtle as that really.

Those parking lights are in fact the original Porsche halogen 12v bulbs. Still works today can you believe this loll 4k temp, love it

Optic & Xenon for low & high beams. And that's it, sharp lighting only.

Simplicity! Possibly the best looking lighting system your DOT inspector will ever see. Works.

^ yup, still on the prototype :/