Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 03:24 AM   #1261
Tyler

Garage
The bowl is held in by three "ball in socket", according to something I read. It said if you pop them out, then you can pop them back in. But since the car is 13 years old, and every tab I touch seems to be brittle and break, I didn't take mine out. I actually cut the bowl with it in the housing. It made a mess, and clean up was a real pain.

I see Null posted some great pics of the bowl with measurements. I'm at work, but will try to get measurements of my setup tonight and post.

redbox986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:19 AM   #1262
B6T

The Morimoto Mini H1 projectors fit without extensive modification to the reflector bowl, correct?
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #1263
Tyler

Garage
That is my understanding (they fit with minimal/no modification to reflector bowl). I wish I had gone that route. I think mine will be OK when complete, but it is a bigger project than I had envisioned.
redbox986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #1264

Awesome. Thanks for the measurements Null.
Firstorbit84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #1265

Garage
One of the Angle Eye LEDs has gone out on mine. What can I do?

Tony
Old 06-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #1266

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
One of the Angle Eye LEDs has gone out on mine. What can I do?

Tony
Option 1. Cancel the other side, get fresh xenon bulbs, love & polish the lens, and end it there with angel eyes - they are illegal anyway lolll

Option 2. Get a new set of bezels (so they match!) when this guy who wrote they would be available in spring have them again. Forgot his name suddenly

(#2, you keep the existing hardware, just swap the bezels over (need to reopen the headlight) get on with a brand new shinny set

If you go the #1 route, ensure that the little led ballast is not fried before. I could simply express you one of those and voila.

LED sux (sorry). They forever will, hate the thing and not exactly sure why. Personally never had too much luck with any led - those I've owned anyway. And yes, even my Made in Germany led flashlight toasted during a trek-out Friday late evening far-far-up in the HuangShan Mountain. How more kewl can you be when this poo happens while trekking with friends lolll

From the list of lighting systems available today, personally I prefer fire - it just works everytime

PS, Tony, you want a new set of xenon bulbs while in there, been a while (just did mine a few weeks ago). Instant noticeable improvement
Old 06-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #1267

and I know I know, don't ask.

I have all the parts of those projector machined. Got tons finally loll Or surely enough to accommodate about 200kits. Saying 'about'; meaning less those that I'll certainly screw up either under the laser of during anodizing. I should have about 175~180 kits out very very soon

Yes, some with-or-without LED angel eyes options - your choice really!
Old 06-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #1268

Quick update

Hello friends ((using-my-embarrassed-tone)),

I’ve received quite a few pm related to the back-order issue and just wanted to reassure that I am trying everything I can to get things moving. It will happen before the end of this month. We plan and aim for this (around the clock almost here believe me).

I'll be honest, atm I am working aggressively along with mate Andy here on the technologies that we’ll need to get things rolling smoothly. We are currently busy designing secure web services to support the distribution and retail aspects of our little start-up here e.g. dedicated cloud-based server and back-end, PCI compliance for payments, ecommerce platform with group/roles to support both distributor and customer level, stuff like that.

We are particularly struggling in getting some fancy visuals decided for e.g pics of the shop, the new cnc machines, ‘the workbench’ basically. Renderings, videos of the actual products, installation manuals, Our Blog!... arrgg there are tons of things that remains on the To Do list it’s almost annoying. All good fun!

^ We want (neeeed) to get all of that out of the way before moving to assembly and packaging, or manufacturing, and oh... resuming wip from a few projects that we had running last autumn. The day Andy and I will be in full-customer-support-mode, at that point we just won’t have time to give ‘technology’ additional developments - well at least this is not the objective for the rest of this year anyway!

RE technologies; did I mentioned the forced HTTP2 and TLS1.2 / HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) full implementation??? That’s right, our server-side and eCommerce technologies will run on the most secured back-end you can possibly have today - same as your bank basically (backed info, you can run it to SSLLabs or similar tools if you don't believe me). Not to mention local hdd military grade encryption for ours & partner’s solid model part files, nda agreement templates… etc etc... man, not all that easy to start-up :/

All Top Notch as everyone would expect and certainly would hope it to be (I would anyway). Here’s a quick peak preview of the site’s inner peace (static visual).

(ps. any sort of help from the community is always welcome lolll)

Old 06-21-2016, 03:50 PM   #1269

I can't wait for these to become available!
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:41 AM   #1270
IronDeadPool

I would love a set of your headlights! Looked for your website but nothing came up

Project IronDeadPool
986ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #1271

Hello out there, any update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Hello friends ((using-my-embarrassed-tone)),

I’ve received quite a few pm related to the back-order issue and just wanted to reassure that I am trying everything I can to get things moving. It will happen before the end of this month. We plan and aim for this (around the clock almost here believe me).

I'll be honest, atm I am working aggressively along with mate Andy here on the technologies that we’ll need to get things rolling smoothly. We are currently busy designing secure web services to support the distribution and retail aspects of our little start-up here e.g. dedicated cloud-based server and back-end, PCI compliance for payments, ecommerce platform with group/roles to support both distributor and customer level, stuff like that.

We are particularly struggling in getting some fancy visuals decided for e.g pics of the shop, the new cnc machines, ‘the workbench’ basically. Renderings, videos of the actual products, installation manuals, Our Blog!... arrgg there are tons of things that remains on the To Do list it’s almost annoying. All good fun!

^ We want (neeeed) to get all of that out of the way before moving to assembly and packaging, or manufacturing, and oh... resuming wip from a few projects that we had running last autumn. The day Andy and I will be in full-customer-support-mode, at that point we just won’t have time to give ‘technology’ additional developments - well at least this is not the objective for the rest of this year anyway!

RE technologies; did I mentioned the forced HTTP2 and TLS1.2 / HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) full implementation??? That’s right, our server-side and eCommerce technologies will run on the most secured back-end you can possibly have today - same as your bank basically (backed info, you can run it to SSLLabs or similar tools if you don't believe me). Not to mention local hdd military grade encryption for ours & partner’s solid model part files, nda agreement templates… etc etc... man, not all that easy to start-up :/

All Top Notch as everyone would expect and certainly would hope it to be (I would anyway). Here’s a quick peak preview of the site’s inner peace (static visual).

(ps. any sort of help from the community is always welcome lolll)

glenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #1272

I just stumbled upon this forum in the process of looking for headlights for my silver 2000 s. It looks like a couple different people are selling some things here. There are 64 pages and instead of hunting through them, I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to fill me in on who is selling what and what the headlights look like? Or tell me to stop being a lazy ass and just read the whole thread
2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #1273

nine8six is the developer of the kit and Pelican Parts now sells the kit (although I believe they are out of stock). It is up to you to install the kit in your existing lights. Here is the install instructions - http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/images/GTProjectors/Porsche_986_996_Headlight_Retrofit_Instructions.pd f

As far as what they look like, here are a few posts in this thread with pictures.

Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish)

This is my set!

Old 07-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #1274

Wow this looks amazing!!!! I am stuck on whether to do this option or use Jeff's black headlights from xtreme. Of course both seem to be out of stock at the moment... I searched pelican parts but I couldnt even find a listing for the out of stock kit. do you have a link by chance?

Thanks for saving me the time of looking through the whole thread!
Old 07-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000986s View Post
Wow this looks amazing!!!! I am stuck on whether to do this option or use Jeff's black headlights from xtreme. Of course both seem to be out of stock at the moment... I searched pelican parts but I couldnt even find a listing for the out of stock kit. do you have a link by chance?

Here is the post from Luca at Pelican with a link to the projectors.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #1276
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000986s View Post

If you're considering the craptastic "LED" headlights offered by extreme, I have a toilet that you can flush $1000 down and save yourself some time and aggravation.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:04 PM   #1277

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
If you're considering the craptastic "LED" headlights offered by extreme, I have a toilet that you can flush $1000 down and save yourself some time and aggravation.
Damn!!! Really?!?! I have read enough of these forums to take whatever you and nine8six say to heart... but god damn I was so excited for those lights because they look amazing!!! So would you say my best bet is to do that one off pelican parts when they are back in stock? any other recomendations? I just want something that doesnt have amber in it, looks updated, and not cheap.

Last edited by 2000986s; 07-20-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #1278
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Fred (nine8six) hasn't said much lately, but hopefully he will have some kits before long. That's definitely the best route to go.

The headlights sold by extreme have fit issues, LEDs that burn out after little use, cheap plastic everywhere and no UV coating on the main lens (a little sun exposure and the plastic main lens will look terrible). The built in projectors are also made of cheap plastic (even the reflectors themselves) and I would consider them a fire hazard. I "repaired" a set for another member and was appalled by the quality (lack thereof) at every step of the disassembly.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:33 PM   #1279

Wow.... well I really appreciate the heads up because I was completely ready to cough up a grand as soon as they came back in stock. Not gonna happen now!!! So you're recommending that I hold off on doing anything until Fred has some kits available? Are they an easy plug and play or is there a ton of extra work to be done?
Old 07-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #1280
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Just to clear up any confusion, Fred makes HID projector kits that must be installed into pre-existing headlights (no ready made options).

That said, the completed headlights have no equal in looks or performance. The install isn't exactly easy, but plenty have done their own.

Mine are pictured below. I installed Fred's Vivo series projectors, along with some smaller projectors (for the dual projector look) and some custom made daytime running lights.