Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 05:47 AM   #1001

Thanks a lot. Great service. Paypal $$ sent. Looking forward to "seeing" with 2 eyes again.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #1002

Garage
Wheels

They look fantastic!
1997 - Boxster - sold
Dgrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #1003

Garage
Does anyone know if Pelican will be carrying the Turismo line of lights, or will it just be the Luminoso series?

Tony
Old 06-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
Does anyone know if Pelican will be carrying the Turismo line of lights, or will it just be the Luminoso series?

Tony
What's the difference in the two?
Old 06-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #1005

Garage
You can see the differences between them here:

http://www.gtprojectors.com

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #1006

Ok, I'm in over my head. I've opened up one light and installed the projector.
I must have something wired wrong. I slid the headlight into the car and the angel eyes light up but not the projector or the stock headlight. When I switch back and forth between high and low, I get a very loud click but no lights. When I flash my high beams, the stocks headlight comes on. All fuses are good. Any suggestions?
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:13 PM   #1007

Quote:
You can see the differences between them here:

The ultimate bi-xenon headlight retrofit kit for Sport & Super cars

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
I see the shroud or a tiny bit different, both have angel eyes, custom engravings and 35 watt hid.

Maybe i'm missing something, but once costs more than the other, does one perform better than the other?
Old 06-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #1008
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
I see the shroud or a tiny bit different, both have angel eyes, custom engravings and 35 watt hid.

Maybe i'm missing something, but once costs more than the other, does one perform better than the other?
They are all the same platform, thus perform the same. The cost difference is due to both the amount of raw materials and machining time.

The only difference is aesthetic.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #1009
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
Ok, I'm in over my head. I've opened up one light and installed the projector.
I must have something wired wrong. I slid the headlight into the car and the angel eyes light up but not the projector or the stock headlight. When I switch back and forth between high and low, I get a very loud click but no lights. When I flash my high beams, the stocks headlight comes on. All fuses are good. Any suggestions?
Ensure that the ballasts wires are connected to the low beam wires and that they are all in good shape.
You have something not connected correctly, but there is no way to tell what without seeing it. Pictures?
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Ensure that the ballasts wires are connected to the low beam wires and that they are all in good shape.
You have something not connected correctly, but there is no way to tell what without seeing it. Pictures?
I'll send a bunch now. I'll show my ignorance here instead of PM because I can't possibly be the only electrical dunce here!

CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #1011

Chris - you said "When I flash my high beams, the stocks headlight comes on". Misleading mate, confuses even myself loll nocando!

1) from a DCV source, test all of your equipment first
  • apply 12v to the ballast, see if one is doa (could happen, those mailmen loll)
  • apply 12v to the high beam solenoid 25 times min. Should click 25 times just like it did prior shipment. If it misses half a heartbeat, send it back to me pls (its for the museum) - irrelevant
  • apply 12v to the angel eye mini-ballast

If all works, slip inside the fender and do the same thing from the ignition switch (parking light chk, low beam chk, high beam chk)

Any trouble, you need to trace back to the Porsche part connectors on both, inside the fender and the back of the headlight. Oh, when fitting inside the fender... ensure they are as far back before starting the owner's headlight locking procedure. Trying to lock those while loose can create misalignment with the connector.

Old cracking cabling. Do a continuity chk on the low beam cables (Yel & Br) between the connector (were the ballast conn) and the headlight/Porsche PIN connector. Your cabling seems cracked a tad but nothing like I've seen before. Worth checking anyway

Can't be a wire short, your fuse would have gone. Last one I can think of is reversed polarity/somewhere... although your wiring seems to be in order mate. Strange one I agree... nothing with not being the best electro dude (I'm happily in your club btw!)

Guessing you've chk the xe bulbs already?

Last edited by Nine8Six; 06-10-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #1012
Administrator

Quote:

Tony
Yes, we have them in! We are currently populating them into our parts catalog now. I will be posting a thread for them once I get links and the green light that they're in our catalog.

We do have a few that are populating now, but as you can see they aren't very detailed in their listings below. There is only about 6 of them in house right now.

GT-LUM-BLK
GT-LUM-GM
GT-TUR-BLK
GT-TUR-GM
GT-VIVO-BLK
GT-VIVO-GM

-Luccia

Last edited by Luccia at Pelican Parts; 06-12-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Luccia at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #1013
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
This is super! The pricing seems reasonable. Now all I need to see is the service whereby someone does the labor for me and I get a set of better-than-new headlights back! OR... someone who sells the assembled finished product and I can send my old headlights as cores.

They look fantastic, and I would love to go with these HID's. But I can't do it myself. I know myself better than to try. I can turn a wrench, but please don't ask me to do anything where it has to be pretty. I fail every time.

Let's just say my talents lie elsewhere.

So as much as these are reported to be the way to go, the fully assembled, plug & play lights from Xtreme are more likely to wind up on my car.
1990 Pontiac Trans Am GTA .:. 1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930) .:. 1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010)
1931 Ford Model A Tudor .:. 1967 Pontiac GTO .:. 1986 Pontiac Trans Am basket-case
gtoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #1014

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoger View Post
This is super! The pricing seems reasonable. Now all I need to see is the service whereby someone does the labor for me and I get a set of better-than-new headlights back! OR... someone who sells the assembled finished product and I can send my old headlights as cores.

They look fantastic, and I would love to go with these HID's. But I can't do it myself. I know myself better than to try. I can turn a wrench, but please don't ask me to do anything where it has to be pretty. I fail every time.

Let's just say my talents lie elsewhere.

So as much as these are reported to be the way to go, the fully assembled, plug & play lights from Xtreme are more likely to wind up on my car.
Ping Particlewave. Doing retrofits has been something he has done in the past.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luccia at Pelican Parts View Post
Yes, we have them in! We are currently populating them into our parts catalog now. I will be posting a thread for them once I get links and the green light that they're in our catalog.

We do have a few that are populating now, but as you can see they aren't very detailed in their listings below. There is only about 6 of them in house right now.

GT-LUM-BLK
GT-LUM-GM
GT-TUR-BLK
GT-TUR-GM
GT-VIVO-BLK
GT-VIVO-GM

-Luccia
Will you be carrying the Turismo in silver?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #1016
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
Will you be carrying the Turismo in silver?
Gunmetal is probably the closet you will be able to get to silver. That's what I ended up going with, rather that's what I was lucky enough to find through particlewave.

Last edited by KRAM36; 06-16-2015 at 07:31 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #1017

Garage
Hey everyone I'm going to be purchasing my first Porsche and I'm very excited to actually be able own such an amazing car. I have dreamed about these cars since I was little. I will be purchasing a 2001 986 Boxster S. This car is in immaculate condition, pretty much brand new inside and out with only 21K miles.

These retrofit kits look awesome and will definitely be the first mod that I will take on once I receive the car.

I just have a couple of questions after looking over this kit.
- What all comes with this kit. Looking at the Pelican Parts website where these are sold now it doesn't give many details or even show a picture of the Turismo series kit.
- Is baking the headlight assembly and pulling the lens apart from the assembly really difficult and what can go wrong? I have watched a couple youtube videos and they don't make it seem that hard. I feel comfortable installing this kit as I have wired and installed HID's and preformed different mods in other vehicles but I have never baked a fairly expensive headlight assembly like this one.
- Are the projectors really secure once installed with the lock nut? They don't need epoxy or anything similar to hold it secure to the projector to the inside of the assembly?
- With car being Polar Silver, I think that the gun metal color will be best color option with white angel eyes. Anyone else have any other suggestions that would look aggressive but still classic?

thanks for any help and suggestions that anyone will have. I look forward to being a true member of this group and can't wait to have my perma grin start once I receive this great car!
01BOXYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:54 PM   #1018
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Ping Particlewave. Doing retrofits has been something he has done in the past.
Yes, I know that he's the man when it comes to this, and much props! I may just do that. I'm already in over my head, and I'm just lookin' online!
1990 Pontiac Trans Am GTA .:. 1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930) .:. 1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010)
1931 Ford Model A Tudor .:. 1967 Pontiac GTO .:. 1986 Pontiac Trans Am basket-case
gtoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Gunmetal is probably the closet you will be able to get to silver. That's what I ended up going with, rather that's what I was lucky enough to find through particlewave.

Thanks for the picture. I was thinking gunmetal was going to be darker, but that is the silver I was going for.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:21 AM   #1020
Need For Speed

Garage
Here is another set particlewave did with gunmetal.

You don't really notice at first, but those have a black base to them like these and still looks sweet.

KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote