Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 04:26 AM   #1
Homeboy981

Garage
Top Speed's Cat Back System Installation

The project is to replace the factory muffler, a.k.a. 'Boat Anchor', with a light, AWESOME SOUNDING Exhaust system that ROCKS!!! Cannot say enough about it…except that I am taking my car out, just to hear the SOUND!

Here's how to do it.

First, go to Top Speed in Addison on Billy Mitchell Drive and pick up one of these puppies, it comes everything you need including mounting bolts.

Tell them the North Texas Boxster Enthusiasts sent you and they will treat you like royalty with a TS baseball hat and license plate frame FREE (maybe a discount too)! Of course, for you Honorary Members, you can order it online…

The system works best with Cat Bypass pipes or 'test pipes' (unless you are in CA-sorry see your state regulator about that). Even better IF you have an Air Intake too!

Here's what it looks like out of the box…

This is all most people see of the muffler…pity to hide all that beautiful work.

It is actually harder to get RID of the factory unit than to put in the TS Cat Back system! So, most of this DIY covers un-doing the muffler.

Here is a pic of the stock scrap BEFORE removing...

To preserve your knuckles get a 15mm deep socket (13mm wouldn't hurt either) and a swivel socket if you do not already have one. Past that, you use open end wrenches and elbow grease.

Undo these bolts, they are 13mm, don't worry, it will not fall on your head...

These bolts are also 13mm connecting the bypass pipes or 2ndary Cat pipes to the "U-Bend". They will be tight! Use some PB Blaster and let it soak in to make your life easier.

Next is the 15mm bolt connecting the muff to the exhaust pipes. Loosen and remove. Not the muff, but the pipes connecting it.

If you have Cat Bypass pipes, they will have a 12mm that is easily loosened, remove the Bypass adapter piece they are connected to.

…as seen here. Do this for BOTH sides. Remove the U-pipes too.

This is where it gets fun. The pic is hard to see but there are two 13mm bolts here that you have to remove….

CAUTION: Loosen one of the bolts and DO NOT remove until you are ready to remove them both AND TRY TO GET OUT OF THE WAY when she falls!

So, get them backed out about halfway and then do the other side. You DO NOT want this Boat Anchor falling on your HEAD!

It is HEAVY (ever wonder why the new exhaust works so well - it is half the weight - but that's just HALF the reason…the SOUND is what will make you smitten).

(to be continued)

Old 12-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Homeboy981

Garage
O.K. so you got the old junker off there. It should look like this before you throw it out…

Another view of me kicking it to the curb! NOT RECOMMENDED as it will hurt your foot!

The new shinny, young muff will go in easily where the old one used to be. For the Box we will use the long bolts, and lock nuts and washers that came with the kit. Not much explanation needed here.

"Dry-fit" the U Pipes in with the banded bolts that came off the car. Easy.

Connect the U Pipes to the Bypass pipes, test pipes or factory pipes on both sides…simple, huh?

Here's a tip to get them separated enough to get some 'wiggle room' to fit them in the right place...

Here is what it looks like on there dry-fitted...

All on? Then, tighten them ALL DOWN tight. You may need to re-check tightness in a couple hundred miles…just to be sure.

Now do the other side….almost there! Cannot wait to hear it! That took all of a few minutes to do. You are almost there!

Drop it off the lift, not literally, and get ready for some fun!

Please note that it will take a couple hundred miles or so for the "carbon to develop the full sound AND power of this exhaust". So put on BEFORE you go out for your track day.

One other note is your gas mileage will suffer FROM YOU PLANTING YOUR FOOT ON THE FLOOR TO HEAR THE ROAR!!! Enjoy!

See Ya!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #3

Garage
Since I started promoting the Charlie Chan Muffler, I think the Gross National Product of China has gone up 6%. They oughta love me long time !
Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #4

Is there any highway cruising drone with this system at between 2-3k rpm? I really would like to get a lighter system but I do enjoy the stock sound when you jump on it and how it is very quiet cruising on a long trip
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
Is there any highway cruising drone with this system at between 2-3k rpm? I really would like to get a lighter system but I do enjoy the stock sound when you jump on it and how it is very quiet cruising on a long trip
Hi @oc-boxster,

Nope. No drone! Since i use my car for work too, I was worried about that. Did not find ANY drone at all! In fact, you will not stay in that section of the RPMs since the exhaust note is such beautiful MUSIC! You will find yourself stepping on it to hear the symphony out back! REALLY pleased with my setup now!

@JD,
I thought you were getting all the love you could handle? You're right tho, IF there was only a way to get a PIECE of the action!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #6

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I will get one now
Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Since I started promoting the Charlie Chan Muffler, I think the Gross National Product of China has gone up 6%. They oughta love me long time !
i just checked the Bloomberg website.
the exact number is 6.2 %

Last edited by Meir; 12-11-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
i just checked the Bloomberg website.
the exact number is 6.2 %
Danger makes Charlie Chan muffler "Swing American" !!!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
midlifechrisis

Question Muffler brand?

found a picture of this exact muffler online at FRSPORTS.com,

only $299(onsale for $269 with axle back pipes too, is it the same muffler?
seems like its too good of a price to be real- must be from china?
Drphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #10

^ I don't see any Porsche parts on that site?
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drphil View Post
found a picture of this exact muffler online at FRSPORTS.com,

only $299(onsale for $269 with axle back pipes too, is it the same muffler?
seems like its too good of a price to be real- must be from china?
That's the Hunan version.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
HECK YES THERE IS DRONE AND CABIN RESONANCE at 2-3k rpm. You'll be upshifting to get away from it in town. Top down its not bad, but top up its deafening to me.

Of course, I have the larger Che headers and this may make mine louder than other guys with stock headers...

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 06-06-2014 at 05:27 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #13

Thanks for the info-I've had exhaust systems installed on previous vehicles and I just can't take the drone anymore-maybe I'm just getting old.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #14
Homeboy981

Garage
No Headers for me…yet. But, no drone either! I accelerate well past the 2-3k rpm range just to hear it but if I am listening to music, I have a hard time telling I have upgraded the exhaust. Press the pedal to be sure, and it's there sounding fine as the music fades to the background. NICE!

I have a before and after video IF I could figure out how/where to post it. Guess there's always MeTube.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #15

Garage
I finally got around to working on my exhaust again last week. I had a little bit of drone but suspected it was where the bypass pipes connected with the chintzy clamp that was included. I had a little bit of a leak no matter how hard I tightened the clamps. I looked around for a sealing exhaust clamp in a 2" size. I found some at Pep Boys but they didn't have 2" so I found them on line at another supplier. I installed them and now, no drone! They are very nice clamps securing the pipes and adding a little more metal which probably helps with any drone while also sealing the joint. The bypass pipes/exhaust combination definitely increases the torque and response. I have gotten wheel spin several times now and the car feels more alive. Here's some pictures of the clamps:

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #16
1999 base

Garage
nice job Bruce.
mind posting the link for the clamp?
just want to be sure i'm ordering the correct size.
thanks.
Meir.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #17

Garage
No problem Meir. Here is the link, I got the 2" size, with shipping it came to $27.30.

EasySeal Exhaust Clamps: Torca EasySeal Clamps in Stainless Steel for Lap Joint Connections

Pep Boys carries the clamp but none of them carried the 2" size in my area. I tried Autozone and a couple other auto parts stores but no one carried these. I really like them because they make a nice seal. As you tighten it, the band forms to pipes.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #18
Homeboy981

Garage
Thanks Bruce….got mine ordered! I too have had similar problem. This was an easy fix.

Thanks!
Mark
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #19

Nice pics guys.
Remember when you could hear the intake?
All I can hear now is the exhaust.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #20

Garage
Yep, the sound of the intake is definitely no longer heard!

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights