Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #1

New to Spec Boxster

Hi All, just posted my intro in the appropriate forum but want to intro myself here too.

Recently purchased a 1999 Spec Boxster on Bring a Trailer a few weeks ago. Car was from So Cal and now resides in Atascadero Ca. Car needs some cosmetic love but that part is easy. The hard part is that the car has a 2.7 motor and this was not known until I got it back to my shop and started poking around. The seller agreed to a price reduction since it was being sold as a class legal Spec Boxster. The jumping in price was reasonable so not a big problem to do a motor swap.

I have owned a street Boxster many years ago but never tracked it because it was my wifes car and I had race cars already.

I will have lots of questions about what parts I may need for speed and other assorted things.

My history with road racing goes back 22 years with SCCA, NASA and POC. Almost all of them in Spec cars. Pro 7 (1st gen RX7), Spec Miata, 944Spec and now Spec Boxster.

I am looking forward to some great racing with POC and PCA in California.

See you at the track once they finally get back to operating.

Charles Buzzetti #151 SPB

986buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Welcome and congratulations!

Well, that isn't the first (nor the last) Spec Boxster that was/will found to have a 2.7!!

If you raced a 944, then you'll love the SPB. Everything that you learned will be applicable to the Boxster and there are full fields and very strong competition.

Swap in a used 2.5 and you'll be ready to go.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-30-2020 at 03:11 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
Who's askin'?

I watched that one sell on BaT. You got that at about half-price! AND you negotiated a bargain, to boot? Well done. Very Jealous right now.
Very.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:33 PM   #4

Thanks

Thanks thstone and maytag!

Got lots of parts already ordered.

Anyone know if Porsche still sells a 2.5 crate motor?
Old 04-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986buzz View Post
Thanks thstone and maytag!

Got lots of parts already ordered.

Anyone know if Porsche still sells a 2.5 crate motor?
No fresh 2.5L crate motors available. You can sill find used motors at reasonable prices. Just put out some feelers with LAPD and OK Foreign.

Welcome to the party and I hope we can fire up some track days soon. All my comp tires are just aging out in the garage.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
No fresh 2.5L crate motors available. You can sill find used motors at reasonable prices. Just put out some feelers with LAPD and OK Foreign.
FYI, OK Foreign has been out of business for years now. LADismantlers is probably the best on the west coast. They had a hiccup a few years ago after the original owner died but seem to be getting back into the game again. Porsches grow on trees in Cali, so finding parts out there is easier and cheaper than anywhere else in the world. Did the car come with spare parts? You should always carry the following parts with you.
1997-99 transmission(buy as many as you come across if they're a good price)
1 extra set of 17x8.5 wheels
1 set of rain tires using 2 17x7 and 2 17x8.5(this might not be needed as much in sunny California)
1 left and 1 right upright with new hub bearings installed
1 multi side radiator and or left and right radiator.
Some guys carry spare axles with them too.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #7

LA Dis does not have anything right now according to their website.
No spares came with the car except 8 extra wheels, most of them are slightly bent.
What is the failure point with the gear box?
Does a cooler help?
Old 04-06-2020, 06:19 PM   #8

Because I am not that familiar with the Boxster. Are you talking about the rear uprights that you carry as spares? Are these notoriously weak? Or fail from contact?
Do you carry spare radiators because they fail or from contact?
The car I bought did not have the aluminum bumpers installed.
I read the rules and it does not state that you can remove the bumpers, am I missing something here?
Old 04-06-2020, 11:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Because I am not that familiar with the Boxster. Are you talking about the rear uprights that you carry as spares? Are these notoriously weak? Or fail from contact?
Do you carry spare radiators because they fail or from contact?
I read the rules and it does not state that you can remove the bumpers, am I missing something here?
The "upright" or "wheel carrier" houses the wheel bearing. Wheel bearings are a wear item. Depending on your schedule, a wheel bearing may last a year, two years, three years, .... A friend of mine replaces all four wheel bearings in the off-season. I think that's extra work and money that is not warranted. (Admittedly, bearings are cheap.) Should you hear/feel a wheel bearing going bad on a race weekend, the easiest, fastest way to fix it on the spot is to swap in a spare upright. (And then replace the bad bearing on your now-spare upright when you get home.)

You only need two spares because opposite corners of the car use the same part. LF and RR are one part, RF and LR are another part. Replacing it could probably be done in 30 minutes with skill and experience and no glitches. Otherwise expect an hour or two. It should not require re-aligning the car. It requires the right socket for the big axle nut and it needs something like 340 ft-lb of torque.
trygve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trygve View Post
The "upright" or "wheel carrier" houses the wheel bearing. Wheel bearings are a wear item. Depending on your schedule, a wheel bearing may last a year, two years, three years, .... A friend of mine replaces all four wheel bearings in the off-season. I think that's extra work and money that is not warranted. (Admittedly, bearings are cheap.) Should you hear/feel a wheel bearing going bad on a race weekend, the easiest, fastest way to fix it on the spot is to swap in a spare upright. (And then replace the bad bearing on your now-spare upright when you get home.)

You only need two spares because opposite corners of the car use the same part. LF and RR are one part, RF and LR are another part. Replacing it could probably be done in 30 minutes with skill and experience and no glitches. Otherwise expect an hour or two. It should not require re-aligning the car. It requires the right socket for the big axle nut and it needs something like 340 ft-lb of torque.
Exactly what he said^^
The radiator stud that attaches to the car gets fatigued and breaks off. When it breaks it ruins the radiator. Most veterans of spec have learned how to trim the stud and not use that mounting point. It's still a good idea to carry a spare or spares.
I would find a place that can fix those wheels. Don't tell them they're off a Porsche though or it might cost you double
The boxster 5 speed transmission is great for a street car but does not hold up to racing and or aggressive shifting. 3 and 4 develop metal fatigue. A lot of guys swear that you need a transmission cooler but the fastest guy in the country a few years back was racing without one. It can't hurt. Tap the case so cooled fluid is draining back on third and forth gear.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 04-07-2020 at 06:35 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #11

Cool, thanks for the great info. Now I need to go look at those radiator mounts!
Old 04-07-2020, 03:43 PM   #12

Buzz, I am removing a 2.5 liter engine from my 98 Boxster for another swap project. It's high mileage but no real issues and ran well. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in it
1thenaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:09 PM   #13

As a shortcut to getting a whole upright you could just get an extra hub or two so that if you have to pull a wheel bearing trqckside, you have a fresh hub to press in so you can skip pulling the remnants of the inner race off the old pulled hub, which at least for me was tricky, I ended up having a mechanic friend cut them off.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:53 AM   #14

Wheel bearings last much longer if the new bearing is repacked with good quality high temp grease before installation. This reduces the likelihood of needing replacement at the track. They should be considered a wear item and replaced every year or two.
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:53 AM   #15

Wow Im surprised these are such short lived items. The 944spec bearings last forever and car is only 50lbs lighter. Not to mention the front bearing is only $10 the rear is anywhere from $40-80. I can only remember replacing a rear bearing once in 12 years of racing 944Spec.
So much for progress.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Wow Im surprised these are such short lived items. The 944spec bearings last forever and car is only 50lbs lighter. Not to mention the front bearing is only $10 the rear is anywhere from $40-80. I can only remember replacing a rear bearing once in 12 years of racing 944Spec.
So much for progress.
Buy an IR thermometer reader -- good for diagnosing issues. Measure exhaust header temps.
I carry an extra coil pak or two and a set of spark plugs.
I have the spare hubs ready to go (thanks woody)
I need to pick up some radiators -- on my list.
I have spare side mirrors and tail lights.
Had a spare tranny -- had to swap it out.
Shifter cables can wear out and or pop off.
I carry a spare fuel filter, and fuel pump relay. Having a spare fuel pump would be a good idea.

If I had room in the trailer -- i'd add a spare front and rear bumper... and hope I was just hauling them for someone else :-)

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:52 AM   #17
On the slippery slope

Garage
Add a wheel speed/ABS sensor to the list.
I have had one fail and then you have no ABS at all. They are not that much $$$
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #18

Quote:
I was told that if it doesn't say it in the rules book then it's not legal. That being said, I would say a large amount of guys don't have the rear bumper and I'm sure there's some with no front.

I'd add a gas peddle to the list. Most of the time it's a lever inside that breaks but sometimes the hinge breaks too.