Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 05:49 AM   #21
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Did you run with the stock sump baffle?

Sustained high rpm runs will damage bearings. That's why I shift at 6K rpm.

no. I have the EBS baffle installed.

but it is the stock sump.

I feel like my motor is very strong between 6 and 7k..... and not so much if I'm short-shifting to 3k. So shifting at 6k seems like a fast way to go slower, haha.

Tell me about that? 'cuz I'm assuming you're not slow.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #22

The reality is that we are not out there to dawdle around. Hell if u shift it at 3500rpm, it may last forever but thata not really the point. If you drive it to the limit, you need to budget for motor replacements. At some point you have to weigh whether another platform is a better idea. Ive been looking at that right now and itd amazing how much racecar you can get for 30k. Not to say they dont have their own problems, but having to replace an m96 every 2 or 3 years is tiresome.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #23
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
......At some point you have to weigh whether another platform is a better idea. Ive been looking at that right now and itd amazing how much racecar you can get for 30k. Not to say they dont have their own problems, but having to replace an m96 every 2 or 3 years is tiresome.
So, what are you considering?

I've driven a TON of cars on the racetrack over the years, (usually only a session or two in each one, not enough time to really push it) but not sure I've ever had as much fun as I do in the boxster.

I'll admit I've never driven a miata or a z.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #24
Racer Boy

Miatas are really fun to drive, almost as good as a Boxster, but unless you do some mods (turbo, or an engine transplant), they aren't as fast as a Boxster. They are also more fun on the street. I think the Boxster is kind of ho hum for street driving, while the Miata is much less refined so you get a lot more sensory feedback that makes it more fun. But that same feedback can get tiresome on a trip. Miatas are also pretty bulletproof, so you won't have to worry about lunching your engine.

The great thing about a Boxster is they are mid-engine design, which makes them ideal on the track. Depending on your budget, I think that an awesome track car that is still street legal would be a Lotus Elise (Toyota engine, very reliable). I was at a track day where an Elise showed up, and it was blindingly quick. Quick not only in the turns, but down the straights as well, because of the power-to-weight ratio.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #25

Garage
I've driven all the 2018 MX-5's including club sport options. They are fun to drive as long as you are not claustrophobic or driving by a 18 wheeler tractor trailer.

They are no comparision to a 986S
Old 06-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #26
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I've driven all the 2018 MX-5's including club sport options. They are fun to drive as long as you are not claustrophobic or driving by a 18 wheeler tractor trailer.

They are no comparision to a 986S
My problem is that I just can't seem to get excited about them. They don't stir me, in any way.

It's sorta like when people tell me that auto-cross is fun: I just sorta smile at them and immediately categorize that person's "fun" threshold.
It's the same with the Miata. haha.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #27
Track rat

Garage
If you are 5'8" or smaller, Miata and Lotus are a barrel of monkeys. Much taller than that and they get tight real fast.

For the lowest cost track days in a reliable car find a used Toyota Corolla and hit the Lemons circuit. A ton of fun.

For a dead nuts reliable Porsche, go 2009 and later. All the weaknesses of the 1998-2008 cars have been engineered out.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
So, what are you considering?

I've driven a TON of cars on the racetrack over the years, (usually only a session or two in each one, not enough time to really push it) but not sure I've ever had as much fun as I do in the boxster.

I'll admit I've never driven a miata or a z.

https://www.racingjunk.com/Other/183132911/1995-BMW-M3.html

My e36 m3 was the only other car that could match the boxsters balance and this one is well prepped
Old 06-06-2019, 06:46 AM   #29

Quote:
no. I have the EBS baffle installed.

but it is the stock sump.
I also have the EBS with stock sump.

Quote:
I feel like my motor is very strong between 6 and 7k..... and not so much if I'm short-shifting to 3k. So shifting at 6k seems like a fast way to go slower, haha.

Tell me about that? 'cuz I'm assuming you're not slow.
I am NOT fast compared to the cars in my run group. I'm a knife at a gun fight. They all have engine & suspension mods along with gumball qualifying tires. The mods I have are to tackle the OEM design flaws but keep it a reasonable street car that I can drive to & from events rather than trailer. I will be driving 600 mi to Indy in Aug for a 3 day DE and then drive back home.

I run street tires to eliminate the higher Gs of track tires. This reduces the chance of oiling issue but gives up a lot to the competition.

I shift at 6K rpm to avoid stretching rod bolts (which leads to rod bearings slipping). Not sure if this is an issue with the 986 but definitely is with the 987. Does this cost me? Yes, but max torque is around 5300 so going to the next gear and getting to max torque in the next gear isn't that costly.

Is it fun being passed all the time? No, but I still have my own kind of fun. I get enjoyment out of driving well technically. I get passed by guys who miss an apex by several feet but they have 200 more HP than I have and leave me in the dust on the next straight. He's probably having just as much fun as I am. In the end, neither of us "wins" the DE. My approach to DE is different than most and isn't for everyone.

I was asking as I like to gather data.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:59 AM   #30
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
.....I get passed by guys who miss an apex by several feet but they have 200 more HP than I have and leave me in the dust on the next straight. He's probably having just as much fun as I am. In the end, neither of us "wins" the DE.

yeah... that's 'cuz -I- won. I WON THE DE. ME. :dance:

hahaha.

i told everyone over the weekend, that if I'm not having fun, I'm doing it wrong. So I appreciate your approach to it. it's what you enjoy. And yes, it'll be different for all.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:12 AM   #31
Racer Boy

Quote:
My problem is that I just can't seem to get excited about them. They don't stir me, in any way.

It's sorta like when people tell me that auto-cross is fun: I just sorta smile at them and immediately categorize that person's "fun" threshold.
It's the same with the Miata. haha.
You never know until you drive one. My street Miata was just as fun as my Boxster on the track, only it was a lot more worry free to thrash it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
If you are 5'8" or smaller, Miata and Lotus are a barrel of monkeys. Much taller than that and they get tight real fast.
I'm 6' 1", and fit in a Miata. Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to even sit in a Elise.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #32
Who's askin'?

Well, with a little help and encouragement from forum member P_carferher, it looks like I might be back on the road sooner rather than later.
Donor car on the way!

PS: I'l have some nice parts for sale soon. ;-)

Old 06-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #33
Certified Boxster Addict

Sorry to hear about this - losing an engine is always a total bummer.

All I can say is that I also lost an engine to a bearing failure but haven't had any problems with that issue since I went to the EBS baffle + 2 qt deep sump + horizontal baffle/windage tray. It basically creates a fixed cavity to hold oil for the long sweepers.

YMMV.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-10-2019 at 03:17 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #34
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post

All I can say is that I also lost an engine to a bearing failure but haven't had any problems with that issue since I went to the EBS baffle + 2 qt deep sump + horizontal baffle/windage tray. It basically creates a fixed cavity to hold oil for the long sweepers.

YMMV.

Hmmmm....... see, now, THAT makes a lot of sense to me.
Is that ALL EBS stuff? I know the baffle is, but the sump and the horizontal plate as well?

Old 06-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
You never know until you drive one. My street Miata was just as fun as my Boxster on the track, only it was a lot more worry free to thrash it.

I'm 6' 1", and fit in a Miata. Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to even sit in a Elise.
I am about same height and went to the lotus factory and dealer in England. Tried an elise on for size. Just say it fit but getting in and out was like sliding in and out of a tuna can. Lol
Old 06-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #36
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Hmmmm....... see, now, THAT makes a lot of sense to me.
Is that ALL EBS stuff? I know the baffle is, but the sump and the horizontal plate as well?
EBS baffle. The deep sump and horizontal plate are from Pedro's TechnoSump or Bilt Racing (the two are exactly the same). Mine is a TechnoSump.

LN also offers everything in one kit: https://lnengineering.com/2qt-deep-sump-oil-pan-kit-inc-pickup-tube-extension-windage-tray-x51-baffle.html
1979 911 SC
Old 06-11-2019, 04:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post

YMMV.

even with that exact setup, I have severe pressure drops
Old 06-11-2019, 04:46 AM   #38
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Under what type of conditions? Still mainly in left hand sweepers? And how do YOU address that? Are you using an accusump, like AZ986?

y'all, THANK YOU for this ongoing dialogue. This is awesome, being able to learn from the collective this way..

Old 06-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #39

Quote:
Under what type of conditions? Still mainly in left hand sweepers? And how do YOU address that? Are you using an accusump, like AZ986?

y'all, THANK YOU for this ongoing dialogue. This is awesome, being able to learn from the collective this way..

Under just about all conditions. Left hand turns, right hand turns, pressure consistently dips. I'm not using an accusump.

At this point i've given up on trying to prevent it. I run expensive ass oil (xp6 15w50 as I have an early variocam motor), change it every 2 events, run as much oil cooling as is possible on the factory set up (3rd radiator with a 997 S heat exchanger and fans on high), and hope for the best.

I should add that this phenomenon has been occurring since I installed the motor in August 2017 and there is never any metal in my oil/filter, so who knows what the deal is.

Really though I'm poking around moving up to a 987.2 Boxster S because worrying about oil pressure all the time is just plain no fun.

Last edited by Quadcammer; 06-11-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #40
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
But did you blow an engine?

If it keeps the engine from blowing up, then I can live with the pressure drops. I'm not looking for perfection, I just want to get a reasonable life out of a motor (without spending the cost of a motor to do so).

1979 911 SC