Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2019, 02:38 AM   #1

Garage
The Broom stick test

Gentīs we talk about the "broom stick test" but I havenīt really understood what this would be in actual mm or inches.. Sorry if itīs a stupid question.

Iīm about to mount my new Evo-2 qrt and if possible Iīd like to be able to run a harness. So I need to decide on what hight I should aim for to decide on the mounting details. One option is to get the Brey Krause bar, but Iīd like to know if I can do without the BK-bar or not.

Last edited by Robert986; 04-19-2019 at 04:50 AM.
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:08 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Gentīs we talk about the "broom stick test" but I havenīt really understood what this would be in actual mm or inches.. Sorry if itīs a stupid question.
Iīm about to mount my new Evo-2 qrt and if possible Iīd like to be able to run a harness. So I need to decide on what hight I should aim for to decide on the mounting details. One option is to get the Brey Krause bar, but Iīd like to know if I can do without the BK-bar or not.
The rule is 2"if a stick was placed from the top of the windshield to the top of the roll bar. Or 50 mm.

This is a tough question. I am 6' tall and have never been checked on this rule. With stock seats and bar I would never have passed. The second year of DE's I bought a Brey Krause which did make me legal. The next Year I got Recaro Pole Position II seats. Coupled with Recaro Aluminum seat mounts and bolted onto my factory seat sliders, I am now 4" below the top of the bars. This would have made me legal with out the Bery Krause bar extensions.

I don't recall why any more but I had to move the slide release on the driver side seat there was some clearance problem maybe something to do with the Immobilizer
NHP exhaust, 987 Intake, IPD Plenum, 74 MM Throtle body, L&N Pan Extension, L&N IMS, RSS Underdrive pulley, Recaro Pole Position seats, Accusump, Remote filter, Softronics Flashed ECU, GSR electric power steering pump Kit. GT3 control arm, KSport coil overs

Last edited by jsceash; 04-19-2019 at 05:11 AM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:16 AM   #3
Who's askin'?

The idea is that you place the broom stick across the roll jump and the windscreen. If the helmet touches the stick, you fail.

PCA allows the boxster regardless of broomstick-test pass or failure. And my local track events seem to all defer to PCA on that. I've never been tested or questioned.

Many organizations have developed a short list of cars that are acceptable with the factory roll humps, without further modification. The boxster has been on every one of those lists that I've seen.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

One size does not fit all. Different organizations have vastly different rules.

Find out exactly what the rules are for the org's that you plan to drive with and then figure out what you need to do to be in compliance.

Otherwise, you might set your car up in a certain way only to find out that it still doesn't comply with your specific local rules.

With that being said, my experience in driving with more than 8 different HPDE organizations is exactly like Maytag's.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:17 AM   #5

Garage
Thanks, great input.. However the question is not really referring to the rules, rather I would like advice concerning my personal safety, is it reasonable to wear a harness if the broom stick passes with eg 2" ? I understand that there is no exact truth on safety but more advice pro/against.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #6

If you plan to wear a harness, I hope you plan to wear a head and neck restraint as well.
2015 Boxster (For Sale??)
CDI Alabama Region PCA
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #7

With regards to safety, provided Broomstick rule passed...

When paired properly w/ seats, installed / fit correctly and with a matching head and neck restraint, YES wearing 5/6 point harness will be safer than using OEM 3-point belts.

Good luck
Old 04-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Thanks, great input.. However the question is not really referring to the rules, rather I would like advice concerning my personal safety, is it reasonable to wear a harness if the broom stick passes with eg 2" ? I understand that there is no exact truth on safety but more advice pro/against.
Ahhh.... sorry, I hadn't picked-up on that.
To be frank: In a roll-over, I don't trust the windscreen and frame for a second. personally.
I'm not seeing a relationship to the broom-stick rule and a harness. (I mean, I'm really not sure what you're asking?)
I agree with Lemming: if you largely immobilize your upper body with a harness, then think where that motion is transferred in an impact; yup, your neck. Exacerbated by the weight of a helmet. You'll want head & neck restraints.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #9

Garage
Thanks again guys..

What I mean is, in a roll over I doubt I want to be sitting fixed in a harness without a proper roll Cage. Just wanted some advise on wether it was reasonable to do it with only a roll bar with proper broomstick-clearance.

Given your answers I get the feeling that I should stay with the 3-way belt.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
If you plan to wear a harness, I hope you plan to wear a head and neck restraint as well.
Yes! If I where to go with a harness, I would certainly also get a head/neck restraint.