Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2019, 02:38 AM   #1

Garage
The Broom stick test

Gentīs we talk about the "broom stick test" but I havenīt really understood what this would be in actual mm or inches.. Sorry if itīs a stupid question.

Iīm about to mount my new Evo-2 qrt and if possible Iīd like to be able to run a harness. So I need to decide on what hight I should aim for to decide on the mounting details. One option is to get the Brey Krause bar, but Iīd like to know if I can do without the BK-bar or not.

Last edited by Robert986; 04-19-2019 at 04:50 AM.
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:08 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Gentīs we talk about the "broom stick test" but I havenīt really understood what this would be in actual mm or inches.. Sorry if itīs a stupid question.
Iīm about to mount my new Evo-2 qrt and if possible Iīd like to be able to run a harness. So I need to decide on what hight I should aim for to decide on the mounting details. One option is to get the Brey Krause bar, but Iīd like to know if I can do without the BK-bar or not.
The rule is 2"if a stick was placed from the top of the windshield to the top of the roll bar. Or 50 mm.

This is a tough question. I am 6' tall and have never been checked on this rule. With stock seats and bar I would never have passed. The second year of DE's I bought a Brey Krause which did make me legal. The next Year I got Recaro Pole Position II seats. Coupled with Recaro Aluminum seat mounts and bolted onto my factory seat sliders, I am now 4" below the top of the bars. This would have made me legal with out the Bery Krause bar extensions.

I don't recall why any more but I had to move the slide release on the driver side seat there was some clearance problem maybe something to do with the Immobilizer
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 04-19-2019 at 05:11 AM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:16 AM   #3
Who's askin'?

The idea is that you place the broom stick across the roll jump and the windscreen. If the helmet touches the stick, you fail.

PCA allows the boxster regardless of broomstick-test pass or failure. And my local track events seem to all defer to PCA on that. I've never been tested or questioned.

Many organizations have developed a short list of cars that are acceptable with the factory roll humps, without further modification. The boxster has been on every one of those lists that I've seen.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

One size does not fit all. Different organizations have vastly different rules.

Find out exactly what the rules are for the org's that you plan to drive with and then figure out what you need to do to be in compliance.

Otherwise, you might set your car up in a certain way only to find out that it still doesn't comply with your specific local rules.

With that being said, my experience in driving with more than 8 different HPDE organizations is exactly like Maytag's.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:17 AM   #5

Garage
Thanks, great input.. However the question is not really referring to the rules, rather I would like advice concerning my personal safety, is it reasonable to wear a harness if the broom stick passes with eg 2" ? I understand that there is no exact truth on safety but more advice pro/against.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #6

If you plan to wear a harness, I hope you plan to wear a head and neck restraint as well.
2001 986 S (parting)
2015 981 (sold)
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #7

With regards to safety, provided Broomstick rule passed...

When paired properly w/ seats, installed / fit correctly and with a matching head and neck restraint, YES wearing 5/6 point harness will be safer than using OEM 3-point belts.

Good luck
Old 04-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Thanks, great input.. However the question is not really referring to the rules, rather I would like advice concerning my personal safety, is it reasonable to wear a harness if the broom stick passes with eg 2" ? I understand that there is no exact truth on safety but more advice pro/against.
Ahhh.... sorry, I hadn't picked-up on that.
To be frank: In a roll-over, I don't trust the windscreen and frame for a second. personally.
I'm not seeing a relationship to the broom-stick rule and a harness. (I mean, I'm really not sure what you're asking?)
I agree with Lemming: if you largely immobilize your upper body with a harness, then think where that motion is transferred in an impact; yup, your neck. Exacerbated by the weight of a helmet. You'll want head & neck restraints.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #9

Garage
Thanks again guys..

What I mean is, in a roll over I doubt I want to be sitting fixed in a harness without a proper roll Cage. Just wanted some advise on wether it was reasonable to do it with only a roll bar with proper broomstick-clearance.

Given your answers I get the feeling that I should stay with the 3-way belt.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
If you plan to wear a harness, I hope you plan to wear a head and neck restraint as well.
Yes! If I where to go with a harness, I would certainly also get a head/neck restraint.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:15 AM   #11

My $0.02 on the broomstick test. My PCA chapter rules require the broomstick test and the BK rollbar extension if necessary to pass it. I've never seen it done at any tech inspection for the 6 HPDE events I've participated in. I've also seen 986 Boxsters without a BK rollbar extension on the track at tracks that have published rules saying they require a BK rollbar extension on any 986 or 987 driving on their track. Instructors "self-tech" in our chapter. There is one instructor with a 986 S who is at least as tall as me, 6 ft 3 in, who runs a 986 Boxster S with a hardtop and no BK rollbar extension. None of the track specific rules say a hardtop eliminates the need for the BK, some even say it is required even with a hardtop.

I don't complain about what others do and I have the BK rollbar extension in my car. One thing to consider regardless of the broomstick test is that a straight rollbar is better than two hoops when a car is upside down, especially on soft surfaces like grass or dirt, the hoops can dig in easier.

I had the experience of being a front seat passenger in a Volkwagen Type 411 that rolled 3 times in the mid 1970's. My friend who just got his license was driving and did something stupid, causing the car to spin into a ditch of the shoulder, bounce back out onto the road and roll three times before staying on its roof and sliding down the road about 100 yards. All the glass blew out and the door window frames were about half their original height when we were done rolling. At the end the car slid off the road onto the dirt and gravel shoulder and the top edge of the roof dug in and we were sprayed with dirt and gravel as the car came to a stop. Since this car was built during the short time that the law required seatbelt interlocks - the car could not be started unless seatbelts were clicked, we had ours on and neither of us were hurt. It's something I hope to never experience in a car again ever.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:52 AM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
What I mean is, in a roll over I doubt I want to be sitting fixed in a harness without a proper roll Cage. Just wanted some advise on wether it was reasonable to do it with only a roll bar with proper broomstick-clearance.
There are two different issues; one, the strength of the car in a roll-over; two, the safety equipment provisioned for the driver.

The Boxster has reinforced boron tubes within the A-pillar next to the windshield to strengthen the windshield frame. This, along with the stock roll hoops provide acceptable roll-over protection on the street.

The stock safety equipment provided to the driver is the 3-pt belt and a certain amount of assumed head clearance. Of course, people come in many different heights and some very tall drivers may not have adequate head clearance in a stock Boxster.

The BK extension is intended to maintain a reasonable amount of head clearance while wearing a helmet and the broom stick test is intended to verify the clearance.

A 5/6 pt harness provides quite a bit of additional safety in that it addresses submarining (sliding under the lap belt) and firmly keeps the driver in the seat in an incident. The stock Boxster seats are not compatible with a 5/6 pt harness so you'll also need to install a proper sport or racing seat for use with a 5/6 pt harness. And as others have said, it is important to use a proper neck device when using 5/6 pt harnesses to protect your neck.

Of course, a dedicated roll cage adds immensely to the overall strength of the chassis and its ability to withstand a roll over. However, these are not entirely practical for a street driven car.

Thus, if you wear a helmet, it is important to maintain adequate head clearance via passing the broomstick test. Install the BK extension if needed to pass the broomstick test.

Proper head clearance must also be maintained with a full roll cage. It is not unheard of for a driver to have to lower the seat in order to maintain sufficient head clearance in a car with a full roll cage.

That addresses the car portion and any of these configurations (stock, BK extension, or full roll cage) can be used with a proper driver restraint system.

For a driver restraint system, you can either use the stock 3-pt belts/no neck restraint/any seat (stock or upgraded) OR use 5/6 pt belts/neck restraint/upgraded seat. When you get to this point, it's kind of an all or nothing sort of deal since the 5/6-pt harness, neck restraint, and upgraded seat all have to be in place for the whole restraint system to work properly and safely.

Using only single parts of the upgraded driver restraint system (like a 5/6 pt harness with a stock seat) could be more dangerous than just keeping the stock 3-pt belts and stock seat.

BTW, you can keep the stock 3-pt belt for use with the upgraded seat to maintain proper safety on the street when you're not wearing a helmet or using the 5/6 pt harness/neck restraint.

The roll cage is typically added when the risk of car-to-car contact is increased such as during wheel-to-wheel racing. In a typical DE, the structure of the event (point by or controlled passing, no side-by-side driving, etc) keeps the risk of car-to-car contact at an acceptable level.

The safest configuration is clearly a full roll cage, racing seat, 5/6 pt harness, and a head/neck device. But this may not be acceptable for a car driven on the street and will create other tradeoff's.

It is entirely acceptable to use 5/6 pt belts/neck restraint/upgraded seat with the stock roll hoops or a BK extension. This is part of what used to be known as the "BSX" configuration and was often used by drivers who track their street driven cars a lot. I used this configuration for two years before I built my car into a full Spec Boxster.

Of course, only you can determine what "safe" means to you and your family. Think it over and then select equipment accordingly.
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 04-23-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:29 PM   #13
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Thanks Tom for this excellent overview! I swap my race seat in and out for my track days. This year I want to upgrade to a 6 point harness and a HANS device. I want to keep my 3 point belts in place for street driving but also if I go on track with a passenger/instructor so that we will have equal safety restraints. I also have the BK extension. What is involved in the harness installation if I am retaining the oem belts?
Cheers James
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:31 PM   #14
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
There are two different issues; one, the strength of the car in a roll-over; two, the safety equipment provisioned for the driver.

The Boxster has reinforced boron tubes within the A-pillar next to the windshield to strengthen the windshield frame. This, along with the stock roll hoops provide acceptable roll-over protection on the street.

The stock safety equipment provided to the driver is the 3-pt belt and a certain amount of assumed head clearance. Of course, people come in many different heights and some very tall drivers may not have adequate head clearance in a stock Boxster.

The BK extension is intended to maintain a reasonable amount of head clearance while wearing a helmet and the broom stick test is intended to verify the clearance.

A 5/6 pt harness provides quite a bit of additional safety in that it addresses submarining (sliding under the lap belt) and firmly keeps the driver in the seat in an incident. The stock Boxster seats are not compatible with a 5/6 pt harness so you'll also need to install a proper sport or racing seat for use with a 5/6 pt harness. And as others have said, it is important to use a proper neck device when using 5/6 pt harnesses to protect your neck.

Of course, a dedicated roll cage adds immensely to the overall strength of the chassis and its ability to withstand a roll over. However, these are not entirely practical for a street driven car.

Thus, if you wear a helmet, it is important to maintain adequate head clearance via passing the broomstick test. Install the BK extension if needed to pass the broomstick test.

Proper head clearance must also be maintained with a full roll cage. It is not unheard of for a driver to have to lower the seat in order to maintain sufficient head clearance in a car with a full roll cage.

That addresses the car portion and any of these configurations (stock, BK extension, or full roll cage) can be used with a proper driver restraint system.

For a driver restraint system, you can either use the stock 3-pt belts/no neck restraint/any seat (stock or upgraded) OR use 5/6 pt belts/neck restraint/upgraded seat. When you get to this point, it's kind of an all or nothing sort of deal since the 5/6-pt harness, neck restraint, and upgraded seat all have to be in place for the whole restraint system to work properly and safely.

Using only single parts of the upgraded driver restraint system (like a 5/6 pt harness with a stock seat) could be more dangerous than just keeping the stock 3-pt belts and stock seat.

BTW, you can keep the stock 3-pt belt for use with the upgraded seat to maintain proper safety on the street when you're not wearing a helmet or using the 5/6 pt harness/neck restraint.

The roll cage is typically added when the risk of car-to-car contact is increased such as during wheel-to-wheel racing. In a typical DE, the structure of the event (point by or controlled passing, no side-by-side driving, etc) keeps the risk of car-to-car contact at an acceptable level.

The safest configuration is clearly a full roll cage, racing seat, 5/6 pt harness, and a head/neck device. But this may not be acceptable for a car driven on the street and will create other tradeoff's.

It is entirely acceptable to use 5/6 pt belts/neck restraint/upgraded seat with the stock roll hoops or a BK extension. This is part of what used to be known as the "BSX" configuration and was often used by drivers who track their street driven cars a lot. I used this configuration for two years before I built my car into a full Spec Boxster.

Of course, only you can determine what "safe" means to you and your family. Think it over and then select equipment accordingly.
^^ This exactly gentlemen.

I ran in BSX for several years with a BK roll bar extension, race seats bolted to the floor, and 3 pt belts. It was my chosen "safe" setup considering the typical conditions of a PCA Time Trial series. I am aware of cars that have been "tested" in an on-track rollover with a similar setup and the driver walked away without a scratch. I am also aware of a BSR on track rollover with full cage, seat, harness, and HANS, where the roll was so violent the cage actually collapsed. This driver also got out and walked away without serious injury although pretty dazed and confused.

There is no way to fully predict all of the possible forces involved in a big shunt or violent rollover and in some cases the G forces can exceed all of the possible safety gear on the car. Only you can decide where to draw the line on your personal safety. Racing is inherently dangerous and all methods taken to reduce risk have limitations.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
I swap my race seat in and out for my track days. This year I want to upgrade to a 6 point harness and a HANS device. I want to keep my 3 point belts in place for street driving but also if I go on track with a passenger/instructor so that we will have equal safety restraints. I also have the BK extension. What is involved in the harness installation if I am retaining the oem belts?
This might be one of the rare times in life when you can have your cake and eat it too!

You can keep the stock 3-pt belts and install the 6-pt harness at the same time. Which belt system you use will be dependent on which seat is in the car. There isn't any additional complexity to the installation of the 6-pt belts while keeping the 3-pt belts.
1979 911 SC
Old 04-12-2023, 10:00 AM   #16

Garage
Back again..

The broom stick test was a big fail.. My helmet actually stuck above the broom.

When the helmet touched the broomstick there was 45-50 mm between the stick & the top of the roll bar, So even with the BK extension (+35mm) I will actually not pass the test. I'm a bit surprised, I'm 183cm, I run the Sparco Evo-2 QRT, no sliders, mounted as low as possible.

I did notice however that without a helmet my head is 20mm under the broom, so the helmet adds 65-70mm, that sounds odd. Is that normal or a sign of a bad fit? I run the cheap "Jet" from Sparco.

So even with the BK extension I will actually not pass the test. Need to dig further, something doesn't add up.

EDIT: No matter how I solve it, it seems clear that I need a BK extension.. If anyone has one for sale and do ship to Sweden... Let me know!

EDIT-2: What keeps me up at night: Do I have a tall head?

Last edited by Robert986; 04-12-2023 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-12-2023, 01:15 PM   #17

In my experience the BK bar plus a hardtop will pass tech.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:16 PM   #18

Holy schnikes, talk about a revival!

Robert, what exactly is your setup? Where are your seats mounted? Are you using sliders? Are you using a cushion in your seat?

A few interesting tidbits I've learned about the safety aspects of our cars -

Limited production models aren't required for nhtsb safety testing. Our cars were never formally crash tested before being sold.

The boron tubes in the a pillars don't go to the top of the windscreen, only 2/3 of the way. In this respect, the broomstick test means jack ****************. I can recall at least one pic of a 986 rollover that very clearly demonstrated this point.

The stock hardware used for mounting isn't top grade! I **************** you not. I forget the details off the top of my head but when I tore all this down in my build I remember thinking "none of this would pass sfi inspection and the only reason it's allowed is because Porsche put it there... But Porsche never formally crash tested the car...wtf?).

I did a writeup on this a while ago and got some pretty nasty feedback. I don't remember the title of the post but I'm sure it could be found.

With all that being said, I don't think that the 986 is an unsafe car. But it was not designed to be tracked hard (the manual even states this). If you're deliberately putting yourself in a hazardous situation where a rollover may happen, gut all the stock stuff and do a legit cage/harness install. You'll never have to worry about it again.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by ike84; 04-12-2023 at 07:19 PM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote