Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #1

Garage
First Tract Day, Advice & Tips?

I know... Read everything... Well I almost have, but a couple things still are open;

1) I run stock BBS 18" rims on the street, should I use the same size rim & tire on the track? Do I need a forged rim or can I use stock?
2) Brake pads, I know there is a lot of talk about the Red vs. Yellow pads, (I'm leaning towards the red pads since I am using the GT3 front brake ducts), is this an issue worth worrying about?

I will be using a trailer to get my car to the track, so if it breaks I can get home.

Thanks,

mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
Racer Boy

If this is your first track day, don't worry about what kind of tires or wheels you need, stock will be just fine. I'm guessing that even stock brake pads will be adequate, as long as they have plenty of thickness left. It would also be good idea to bleed the brakes before the track day.

I'd recommend against the EBC red pads, they cause a large shuddering in the pedal when the brakes get hot.

What track are you going to? If you are getting any kind of instruction, pay a lot of attention. Try to relax, and have fun!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
If this is your first track day, don't worry about what kind of tires or wheels you need, stock will be just fine. I'm guessing that even stock brake pads will be adequate, as long as they have plenty of thickness left. It would also be good idea to bleed the brakes before the track day.

I'd recommend against the EBC red pads, they cause a large shuddering in the pedal when the brakes get hot.

What track are you going to? If you are getting any kind of instruction, pay a lot of attention. Try to relax, and have fun!
Fontana, brand new set of Falken Zies 950 AS, stock brakes are pretty new, about 8k on them, I asked about brakes simply due to the fact that I can be hard on them at times. Maybe just replace them as needed with a stock set? And yes, I do need to do a good fluid change, AFAIK it has never been done.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
Racer Boy

Maybe someone here who has run at Fontana can give better advice on brake pads, but most novices aren't likely to be that hard on brakes.

I'm sure you are the best driver in the world and all that, but until you have at least ten track days under your belt, I'm still going to call you a novice.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:08 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Maybe someone here who has run at Fontana can give better advice on brake pads, but most novices aren't likely to be that hard on brakes.

I'm sure you are the best driver in the world and all that, but until you have at least ten track days under your belt, I'm still going to call you a novice.
🤣 yeah, I admit I'm a track novice, haven't been on one in over 25 years, but on the street I'm a beast! 💪.

JK, I appreciate the advice, but i can be hard on brakes, still thinking ceramics at a minimum as a spare. Hate to waste a good set of DD tires, maybe a cheap set of Chinese rubbers to destroy?
Old 10-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

I just raced at AutoClub Speedway two weeks ago and have instructed there a lot. You can watch my racing video if you want to see the racing line in the Racing section.

If you haven't been on the track for 25 years, then running all stock will be fine.

While this track is kind of hard on the brakes (Turn 3 and Turn 9), the stock pads will be fine as long as they have sufficient thickness. No specific need for ceramic pads but they can be a nice upgrade. Do be sure to flush the fluid and bleed the lines if this hasn't been done in the past year. A nice upgrade is high temp brake fluid (as long as you're replacing it might as well upgrade for a few more $$).

Cheap tires are a poor investment at the track. You want the best tires, not the worst since even as a novice you'll by running 100+ mph on the NASCAR banking (a racing Boxster will see 135mph). Since your DD tires are new, just run them and then upgrade to a high performance summer tire the next time around if you plan to visit the track again in the future.

The stock wheels are fine. My stock 17" wheels have more than 150 track days without an issue.

Download and read the short book "Race Track Attack Guide - AutoClub Speedway". Its a great primer with photos to show you the racing line.

https://www.amazon.com/Race-Track-Attack-Guide-Speedway-ebook/dp/B00433TC36/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538456075&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=race+track+attack+guide+autocad

Speed Ventures is a great event host and will assign you an instructor who will help you learn the track.

The last thing is to have fun!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 10-01-2018 at 09:11 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:28 PM   #7

Regarding brake fluid, we are required to show proof the fluid has been changed/flushed annually prior to passing tech, assuming you are doing an HPDE. If you are, take your time and listen to your instructor. Learning the race line will be more beneficial than just about anything.

If you are simply doing a pick-up track day, just take it a bit easy to get comfortable, your stock gear will be fine as long as it is up to snuff.

I’m with Stone 100%, older good tires are generally going to be better than cheap new tires. If you want to do track days a good set of tires is well worth the investment, over almost everything else.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:15 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I just raced at AutoClub Speedway two weeks ago and have instructed there a lot. You can watch my racing video if you want to see the racing line in the Racing section.

If you haven't been on the track for 25 years, then running all stock will be fine.

While this track is kind of hard on the brakes (Turn 3 and Turn 9), the stock pads will be fine as long as they have sufficient thickness. No specific need for ceramic pads but they can be a nice upgrade. Do be sure to flush the fluid and bleed the lines if this hasn't been done in the past year. A nice upgrade is high temp brake fluid (as long as you're replacing it might as well upgrade for a few more $$).

Cheap tires are a poor investment at the track. You want the best tires, not the worst since even as a novice you'll by running 100+ mph on the NASCAR banking (a racing Boxster will see 135mph). Since your DD tires are new, just run them and then upgrade to a high performance summer tire the next time around if you plan to visit the track again in the future.

The stock wheels are fine. My stock 17" wheels have more than 150 track days without an issue.

Download and read the short book "Race Track Attack Guide - AutoClub Speedway". Its a great primer with photos to show you the racing line.

https://www.amazon.com/Race-Track-Attack-Guide-Speedway-ebook/dp/B00433TC36/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538456075&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=race+track+attack+guide+autocad

Speed Ventures is a great event host and will assign you an instructor who will help you learn the track.

The last thing is to have fun!
Excellent advice and well headed, thank you.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfranz View Post
Fontana, brand new set of Falken Zies 950 AS, stock brakes are pretty new, about 8k on them, I asked about brakes simply due to the fact that I can be hard on them at times. Maybe just replace them as needed with a stock set? And yes, I do need to do a good fluid change, AFAIK it has never been done.
Running with Speed Ventures?

Fontana is my home track and I have been running there since 2009 with maybe 700 laps logged. It can be a handful due to very high speeds on the front straight and entering turn 1&2. Not my favorite track to introduce novice drivers.

- Your tires are decent A/S daily driver tires but they probably will overheat and get greasy after a few hot laps and need a cool down lap to recover. Fontana is pretty easy on tires but when hot, a spin is very possible in 5/6 due to lack of grip there.

- Being on A/S tires you won't generate too much brake heat so stock pads will be ok but a higher temp pad would be better. Turn 3 will use all of your brakes.

- Either opt for an instructor or find someone with experience that you can follow for a few sessions to really learn the line. An in-car instructor would be best.

- Relax, learn the racing line, ramp up your speed gradually, drink lots of water, and keep the tires on pavement and you will have a blast.

If you like what you see and want to wade deeper into the performance driving pool, I recommend your next event be with PCA or POC due to their excellent driver development programs. Most drivers progress much faster working with a skilled instructor for the 1st year.

Have fun!

Last edited by Topless; 10-02-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Running with Speed Ventures?

Fontana is my home track and I have been running there since 2009 with maybe 700 laps logged. It can be a handful due to very high speeds on the front straight and entering turn 1&2. Not my favorite track to introduce novice drivers.

- Your tires are decent A/S daily driver tires but they probably will overheat and get greasy after a few hot laps and need a cool down lap to recover. Fontana is pretty easy on tires but when hot, a spin is very possible in 5/6 due to lack of grip there.

- Being on A/S tires you won't generate too much brake heat so stock pads will be ok but a higher temp pad would be better. Turn 3 will use all of your brakes.

- Either opt for an instructor or find someone with experience that you can follow for a few sessions to really learn the line. An in-car instructor would be best.

- Relax, learn the racing line, ramp up your speed gradually, drink lots of water, and keep the tires on pavement and you will have a blast.

If you like what you see and want to wade deeper into the performance driving pool, I recommend your next event be with PCA or POC due to their excellent driver development programs. Most drivers progress much faster working with a skilled instructor for the 1st year.

Have fun!
I'm already a member of PCA, but do not see any events scheduled for Fontana. Maybe soon, and yes, this will be a HPDE type run.

The front stretch is an actual "looking forward too" run, all these 130+/- highway runs are starting to scare me, and yes, turn 1/2 will get my attention, (which is why I ask about brake swaps).

Since these tires are also my stock driver tires, I may get a set of track tires just for the fact if I ruin them, I'm not stuck. Any suggestions?

Brake fluid change is scheduled for next weekend, got a set of replacement ceramics on hand that may end up in place for the day. Plugs changed, spare parts on hand.

Not really sure I can call myself a "novice", more of a experienced track beginner, but I hear ya, should be fun. If you can let me know when you will be out I would welcome the expertise you can share, and thanks!
Old 10-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfranz View Post
I'm already a member of PCA, but do not see any events scheduled for Fontana. Maybe soon, and yes, this will be a HPDE type run.

The front stretch is an actual "looking forward too" run, all these 130+/- highway runs are starting to scare me, and yes, turn 1/2 will get my attention, (which is why I ask about brake swaps).

Since these tires are also my stock driver tires, I may get a set of track tires just for the fact if I ruin them, I'm not stuck. Any suggestions?

Brake fluid change is scheduled for next weekend, got a set of replacement ceramics on hand that may end up in place for the day. Plugs changed, spare parts on hand.

Not really sure I can call myself a "novice", more of a experienced track beginner, but I hear ya, should be fun. If you can let me know when you will be out I would welcome the expertise you can share, and thanks!
Both PCA and POC generally recommend you have some documented experience at other tracks like SOW or Chuckwalla before venturing out on the Super Speedway. I don't know if this is right or wrong but things do happen quickly at 130mph so it's not a great place to develop car control. PCA runs the Roval there every April with the Festival of Speed, and runs the infield 2-3 times per year. POC typically runs Fontana 2x per year.

Good track-capable tires are a pretty important piece of the puzzle along with some minor suspension changes to get the most out of them. One of my all time favorite DE tires is the Nitto NT-01. With a good negative camber setup on your car they can last 10 track days and they really hold up to the heat of continuous lapping well. I ran these for 10 years in the Boxster.

Our next PCA DE event will be at Willow Springs SOW and it is an excellent track to hone your driving skill on a closed course. 110mph is possible on the 2 straights and there is a lot of variation and elevation change to make it interesting.

Here is the link:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/gpx-de-zone-8-ax-streets-of-willow-springs-pca-grand-prix-188231

For the PCA Zone 8 Calendar of events look here to find 24 HPDE events at tracks all over SoCal, AZ, NV. There is a great deal of performance driving events so you could do a year long track day safari if you wanted to taste all of them. I have been to most.
Zone 8 Calendar | Zone 8 - Porsche Club of America

Come out and play!
Old 10-03-2018, 02:51 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Both PCA and POC generally recommend you have some documented experience at other tracks like SOW or Chuckwalla before venturing out on the Super Speedway. I don't know if this is right or wrong but things do happen quickly at 130mph so it's not a great place to develop car control. PCA runs the Roval there every April with the Festival of Speed, and runs the infield 2-3 times per year. POC typically runs Fontana 2x per year.

Good track-capable tires are a pretty important piece of the puzzle along with some minor suspension changes to get the most out of them. One of my all time favorite DE tires is the Nitto NT-01. With a good negative camber setup on your car they can last 10 track days and they really hold up to the heat of continuous lapping well. I ran these for 10 years in the Boxster.

Our next PCA DE event will be at Willow Springs SOW and it is an excellent track to hone your driving skill on a closed course. 110mph is possible on the 2 straights and there is a lot of variation and elevation change to make it interesting.

Here is the link:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/gpx-de-zone-8-ax-streets-of-willow-springs-pca-grand-prix-188231

For the PCA Zone 8 Calendar of events look here to find 24 HPDE events at tracks all over SoCal, AZ, NV. There is a great deal of performance driving events so you could do a year long track day safari if you wanted to taste all of them. I have been to most.
Zone 8 Calendar | Zone 8 - Porsche Club of America

Come out and play!
Willow Springs is a definite possibility! Looks like a fun tight track that would surely test someones shifting and cornering. It's on my list now.

And yes, Speed Ventures was my first choice, but now you have me thinking...