Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

BMW Car Club Bans Cars with Advanced Driver Aids

On the heels of my Cayman GT-4 experience (PASM, PSM, ABS, ASR, ABD, EDTC, etc...) comes this story...

One chapter of the BMW Car Club of America recently sent out a message saying that they were banning any car that had advanced drivers aids such as Automatic Lane Assist and Automatic Braking from HPDE's. The folks at BMWCCA national headquarters got involved and they walked it back... for now.

A BMW Car Club Chapter Is Banning New Bimmers from its Trackdays

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
On the heels of my Cayman GT-4 experience (PASM, PSM, ABS, ASR, ABD, EDTC, etc...) comes this story...

One chapter of the BMW Car Club of America recently sent out a message saying that they were banning any car that had advanced drivers aids such as Automatic Lane Assist and Automatic Braking from HPDE's. The folks at BMWCCA national headquarters got involved and they walked it back... for now.

A BMW Car Club Chapter Is Banning New Bimmers from its Trackdays

The "driver-aids" they are talking about are a much bigger issue than stuff like PSM, ABS etc. We've had some serious issues on track with newer Audi's that would brake on their own if they got too close to the car in front of them. Not fun mid turn. You can turn this off in some of the cars - but not sure about all the new cars that have this stuff.

I honestly think that if you can't disable these types of systems - you shouldn't be able to track that car. It become unpredictable in a situation which requires the predictability.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Yet....

....ANOTHER reason why I bought a 2004 Boxster two years ago. Awesome!
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #4

I'm surprised it's taken this long for it to become an issue on track. I like my old cars that have to be driven by me.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #5

Garage
I got an email from Niagara PCA in which they are not allowing cars with automatic braking and avoidance systems.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote