Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #1

Why are 5 spd axles so damn expensive??

I shredded another axle at a local autoX event accelerating over a bump... Im sure launching the 3.4l engine through an unsprung 6 puck clutch dozens of times on 275 rear slicks lowered its life expectancy as well.

So I pulled it down and ordered a CV joint hoping that I ripped the cage apart...but no such luck for me. I actually sheared the axle shaft, with no hope for repair.

I quickly found that no one makes an aftermarket axle for the 2.5/2.7. FEQ ( which is crap ) makes $80 cheapos for the boxster S... but god forbid you need them for a base model boxster, they go for $750!!

Does anyone have some cheap leads? Id go for used if thats all that is available...

Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #2

Check itsanova online here -- he sells used Boxster parts.

I wonder if the Boxster S is using some more mainstream axle.

You might also check to see if there is a cross reference part for the 2.5 axle.

I know 944 guys can use VW Vanagon axles for example.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #3

I remember seeing that vanagon axles fit 944s as well... It's funny you mention that, because the cv joint kit has a 951 part number.

I keep breaking the shaft instead of the cv joint because the axles are hollow. This is the axle that failed on me in February.

I'm going to take a 944 axle apart and see if I can use the shaft tomorrow...this has got to stop!
Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:22 AM   #4

Garage
Have you checked Ebay. I've seen 1999-2002 on there before. The 5 speeds take 2 different axles and the they changed in 2003 so there are four different axles, would be my guess. The S took the same one both sides for many years. You want a challenge try to find a 2003 2004 axle for a 5 speed Not possible.
1999-2002
2003-2004
98633202410 obsolete >98633202416
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:27 AM   #5

Garage
Does anyone know how many splines are on the S axle and the overall length, length to the end of the spline, last length of the spline.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:49 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Does anyone know how many splines are on the S axle and the overall length, length to the end of the spline, last length of the spline.
Don't know about the "S" axles but I think the CV joints are from the 928.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #7

Maybe it's time for some custom driveshafts.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #8

Why so expensive? Supply and demand! Guess those axles just break too easy and the supply is drying up?

Seems like the consensus at this forum was that a 3.4l will need the more robust "S" drivetrain and brakes, especially when racing.

I don't recall reading whether the 5 speed tranny was really up to the task either when increasing the HP.

Maybe the expensive drive shafts are just the reason you need to upgrade to "S" parts.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 08-28-2014 at 11:41 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Why so expensive? Supply and demand! Guess those axles just break too easy and the supply is drying up?

Seems like the consensus at this forum was that a 3.4l will need the more robust "S" drivetrain and brakes, especially when racing.

I don't recall reading whether the 5 speed tranny was really up to the task either when increasing the HP.

Maybe the expensive drive shafts are just the reason you need to upgrade to "S" parts.
Many owners with more powerfull than stock engines report the 5-speed is a temporary use part.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #10

Axle solution

We were shearing these axles very quickly on our FP Boxster that now runs 12" rear tires and wheels. They are 25 spline, I believe. The boxster S has 28 spline, but requires the outer S hub assembly and carrier and the bigger flange on the transmission. I don't know if the flange can be swapped into the 5-speed or not. What I did was use the CV joints on the 2003 Tiptronic axles, which are also 28 spline but will bolt up to the 5 speed trans, and the non-S outer hub assemblies. The outer CV is not rebuild able, but you can cut the factory crimp and use the remaining flange by tapping into the CV and using small screws to reattach it. I used KARTEK 300M 28 spline solid axles, and I think the correct length is 23 1/4" and 21 3/4" but check your measurements as I had to trim down one of my initial axles I had ordered. I enclosed some pictures to show what I am describing. Hope this helps, and we have gone 2 seasons now without any failure. We were going less than 2 events before...

Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmoothlee View Post
I shredded another axle at a local autoX event accelerating over a bump... Im sure launching the 3.4l engine through an unsprung 6 puck clutch dozens of times on 275 rear slicks lowered its life expectancy as well.

So I pulled it down and ordered a CV joint hoping that I ripped the cage apart...but no such luck for me. I actually sheared the axle shaft, with no hope for repair.

I quickly found that no one makes an aftermarket axle for the 2.5/2.7. FEQ ( which is crap ) makes $80 cheapos for the boxster S... but god forbid you need them for a base model boxster, they go for $750!!

Does anyone have some cheap leads? Id go for used if thats all that is available...

3RotorRx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #11

Advanced Auto Parts has quite a list of Drive Shafts/Axles for '97s for $70 - $200. I haven't checked, but do none of these work? That would be quite the bummer as I don't want to be paying that amount for axles either.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Many owners with more powerfull than stock engines report the 5-speed is a temporary use part.
Are we okay sliding, hoping, and chirping on uneven pavement with the 3.2/6 speeds??

Once in a while I er.... em scrub my tires by sliding around....unfortunately it is a rough uneven pavement area. Thinking I should stop this!
Old 03-09-2022, 08:28 AM   #13

Garage
2.7 986 Axles

Reviving this old thread, but I have a 2002 base model Boxster with the 2.7 and this is still and issue. The only option is to rebuild or pay big $$ to Porsche for OEM parts. Anybody know of a reman source ?
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
Reviving this old thread, but I have a 2002 base model Boxster with the 2.7 and this is still and issue. The only option is to rebuild or pay big $$ to Porsche for OEM parts. Anybody know of a reman source ?
Unfortunately, the best known rebuild source is located at the end of your arm........
Old 05-13-2022, 09:12 AM   #15

Garage
thanks JFP

Yeah, I know, I know. I was kind of hoping for a 'plug n play' solution. I mean for $2-300 it is almost worth it to me to not mess with all the grease and fuss etc. But i've reviewed some posts and found a few decent videos online and I have 'mechanics apprentice' type skill-set, so I believe I can do it. Even have a set of snap-ring pliers, I might as well just go ahead and do it with the rebuild/ refurbish boot and grease kit and move on.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #16

It’s really not that bad, I did both mine in a day a few months ago. Just need gloves, paper towels and maybe 2 cans of brake clean
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:51 PM   #17

Audi A4 fwd from mid and late 90s... If it wasn't a quattro, it's the same box you have - getrag 012 (this I am certain of). If my understanding is correct, that transmission actually first went in to production in the late on 80s and was Audis go to 5 speed 2wd tranny for the entire decade, BB it I cannot confirm this. It is essentially a 2wd version of the 01a transmission, which is what the quattro's used during the period

On a side note, I would love to see what happens if someone bolts an 01a to our motor and runs it with the rear drive spinning freely (or disconnected from the final drive internally). You would probably lose a bit of power but considering how many 01as are out there it would be a great option for someone on a budget.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ike84; 05-14-2022 at 06:12 AM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
It's probably heresy to mention on a Porsche forum but Autozone sells a 986 Boxster 5 speed axle for about $115 with a "lifetime warranty"...

Personally I'd trust a home repack/reboot over an Autozone axle, but I'd probably do that over buying new OEM porsche axles.
casioqv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:13 AM   #19

The only problem with the Autozone idea is that you might be replacing them a lot. Buddy at work has been buying lifetime Autozone rear toe links for his Caliber Srt4 and has replaced them at least twice in the 3 years I’ve known him. Add the potential for a tow fee and having to borrow your wife’s car and it gets old fast.
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986tate View Post
The only problem with the Autozone idea is that you might be replacing them a lot.
That's a good point, a used axle plus a new boot+grease kit would likely yield a more durable axle for about the same price.

casioqv is offline   Reply With Quote