Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 05:24 AM   #1

My first pass at a DE (Roebling) using track attack

Track Attack

May not play on all phones but should on the computer.

My best lap time was 1:38'ish. Lots of room for growth (Edit: 1:39'ish)

It was a blast

Steve

Last edited by steved0x; 01-29-2014 at 09:39 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Nice driving! Its always a good feeling when you catch someone and make the pass.

I love the look and layout of that track - looks like it would be a really fun drive.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #3

It is the only track I have been on to date and is about 3 hours away. Other nearby tracks that I hope to go to someday:
  • Road Atlanta (I am going there in June with MVP Track Time)
  • Sebring (both this track and Road Atlanta are on Forza 3 & 4, I have got the layout of Road Atlanta memorized but Sebring seems to have so many turns I don't have that one down yet. Track days there seem to be a little more expensive though)
  • Daytona (the few DE events I have seen are for advanced solo or very $$$ so I doubt that one will happen anytime soon. Maybe some parade laps...)
  • Carolina Motorsports Park (There is a DE coming there soon, I actually used to drive past this between Charlotte NC and Moncks Corner SC where my boys were living at the time)
  • "The Firm" - unsure of the exact name, they also have a Rally course and have open track days for around $200-$225 a day I think
  • Gainesville Speedway - they have a road course and I think Brumos Porsche does a class there once a month for their customers, I am unsure if I could take my car and participate but it seems like a good learning opportunity. I am going to an SCCA Autocross there Feb 9th with my son and his Miata.

Any other (well not that hardly any of the above are) tracks within a 3 hour radius of North Central FL?

My instructor Don was great this last time at Roebling and I was very sorry that I could only stay for one of the two days. I learned a lot.

Thank you for the feedback, I give all the credit to Don This lap was one of the more smooth ones, maybe because I was taking it easy because I didn't want to crowd the car in front. At my first event one the most nerve wracking things was having people pile up in my mirror. And yes I did get passed by a yellow Miata but at least I didn't get passed by every car this time
Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #4

Garage
Barber Motorsports park in Birmingham/Leeds AL, probably the smoothest pavement available. get in with the PCA or go the luxury route & take a Porsche Sport driving class!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Barber Motorsports park in Birmingham/Leeds AL, probably the smoothest pavement available. get in with the PCA or go the luxury route & take a Porsche Sport driving class!
6 hours away, not too bad, and I am finding that the PCA DE events are usually much more affordable than the ones that I have seen through other programs. I may have to check it out Thanks!

Steve
Old 01-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
6 hours away, not too bad, and I am finding that the PCA DE events are usually much more affordable than the ones that I have seen through other programs. I may have to check it out Thanks!

Steve
PCA DE is coming up at Barber the first weekend in March. Registration opened last week, which fills up fast. I went last year, and it snowed on us on Saturday. The temperature was awful, and I had to get a guy with a trailer to keep my Hoosiers from freeze cracking. I think I will skip this one - it's just a few weeks too early for the weather.

PCA has another one in June at Barber, but its always on Father's Day. Not good for everyone.

Oh yeah, Atlanta Motorsports Park (AMP) is also one of my favorites. It is pretty "technical" like Barber as opposed to being a high Hp track like Road Atlanta.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97

Last edited by LAP1DOUG; 01-29-2014 at 01:18 PM.
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAP1DOUG View Post

Oh yeah, Atlanta Motorsports Park (AMP) is also one of my favorites. It is pretty "technical" like Barber as opposed to being a high Hp track like Road Atlanta.
There is an event at AMP the same weekend as the MVP Track Time Road Atlanta. I forgot about AMP, I will have to add it to my "wish" list.

We froze at Roebling this time, it was $%^& cold! Well for FL folks. I don't think it actually got to freezing.... but it was COLD!

Steve
Old 02-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #8

I've not done Barber before, but if you are a new DE'er and with no other previous track time, you should hit RRR a few more times and let it be your learning platform. It's a very basic track with no real surprises and a great place to learn how to drive fast (its very forgiving).
Your next progression once you get bored with RRR would be CMP. Its a much MUCH faster track. There's one good elevation change that makes you really concentrate to get right. There's a high speed "kink" that will make you pucker if you hit it fast and correctly.......make you ******************** if you get it wrong! It's just a bit more technical and a great second track to hone skills on.
Road Atlanta, when done right is not for the timid, weak or slow. You better have skills or you will get run over if you've progressed to higher run groups (white and on). It's fast, super technical and requires every talent you have to go fast and have fun. Once you get to that level, VIR is a bigger version of RA and a lot of fun with a high HP car. Daytona is nothing special as far as a track goes, but the cool factor of being on DAYTONA is something not to be passed up.

GL, have fun and ALWAYS listen to what your instructor tells you, it could be me instructing you someday
993innc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993innc View Post
I've not done Barber before, but if you are a new DE'er and with no other previous track time, you should hit RRR a few more times and let it be your learning platform. It's a very basic track with no real surprises and a great place to learn how to drive fast (its very forgiving).
Your next progression once you get bored with RRR would be CMP. Its a much MUCH faster track. There's one good elevation change that makes you really concentrate to get right. There's a high speed "kink" that will make you pucker if you hit it fast and correctly.......make you ******************** if you get it wrong! It's just a bit more technical and a great second track to hone skills on.
Road Atlanta, when done right is not for the timid, weak or slow. You better have skills or you will get run over if you've progressed to higher run groups (white and on). It's fast, super technical and requires every talent you have to go fast and have fun. Once you get to that level, VIR is a bigger version of RA and a lot of fun with a high HP car. Daytona is nothing special as far as a track goes, but the cool factor of being on DAYTONA is something not to be passed up.

GL, have fun and ALWAYS listen to what your instructor tells you, it could be me instructing you someday
There is another DE at Roebling the first weekend in April that I thought I was going to have to miss due to work, but that trip just got cancelled!

I am back in FL now but was in NC from 1996-2013. We went to Carolina Beach lots of times, since I got the FJ in 2011 we would always camp at Freeman Park at the north end of the island.

I probably won't make the CMP that is in March but I will shoot for one of the fall ones; will you be at any of them?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 02-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #10

I may be at the May Dark Side DE (darksidede.com) at Roebling. Get into Jackie's events, they are real laid back. I usually go work for her - she lets me go out in any/all groups so I get lots of track time for instructing

I would suggest you get 3-4 RRR's (or more dpending on how quick you learn and feel comfy) under your belt. Once you get signed off and run there in Blue even once, then you may be ready for CMP, but I would highly suggest you go there in Green for the first event. If you don't, because of the speed of that track, you will most likely get run over. Spend a few events there and keep repeating that scenario (back up a group for the first event) until you are really ready then go do Road Atlanta.

There's a lot of lazy instructors out there who will sign off just to unload a student. Really take the time to learn the craft and don't just move up if you don't feel deep down you are ready. Saying you are in Blue or White is cool to your buddies but we want to see you safe and know that if you ever get out there with us...........you won't kill us

I can be hired for personalized instruction as well (will be there just for you/no track time for me) and work reasonably cheap, PM me if you ever get interested in that.

Oh and if you get up my way again, give one of my places a try

Last edited by 993innc; 02-12-2014 at 11:13 AM.
993innc is offline   Reply With Quote