Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #521

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post

This is a pretty big steering input!
Looks to be the result of too much rear end output

Looks like great fun was had by all!!

ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #522
Certified Boxster Addict

Great racing today with the PCA at Willow Springs - known as the Fastest Track in the West!

Qualified 2nd and finished 2nd!

There are no asterisks in racing but to be honest, a couple of the faster guys stayed home so I was able to move up onto the podium.

In fairness to myself, I did do a great job holding off 3rd place for a few laps and then slowly built a gap until he wasn't within striking distance.

More racing tomorrow. Lots of video, just need to find some time to edit it!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:31 PM   #523
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Great racing today with the PCA at Willow Springs - known as the Fastest Track in the West!

Qualified 2nd and finished 2nd!

There are no asterisks in racing but to be honest, a couple of the faster guys stayed home so I was able to move up onto the podium.

In fairness to myself, I did do a great job holding off 3rd place for a few laps and then slowly built a gap until he wasn't within striking distance.

More racing tomorrow. Lots of video, just need to find some time to edit it!
Great job Tom.

I had to miss Willow, no tires!. I ordered some RE-71s and they won't be in until Monday
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #524
Certified Boxster Addict

Well, good news and not so good news coming out of the PCA race at Willow Springs last weekend.

The Good News: I qualified 2nd and finished 2nd in Saturday's race! I did a good job defending against 3rd place for several laps and then slowly pulled away and created a nice gap. I was very pleased with my performance and had high hopes for Sunday.

The Not So Good News: Qualified 3rd for Sunday's race and the driver in P1 decided to start at the back and race his way through the group so I started P2 (in BSR/SPB).

Got a good start and moved up to P1. Then got held up by slower traffic and moved back to P2. Then the P1 driver finally caught up to us and passed us both so I was in P3.

Then I didn't hold the car down tight on the inside line in Turn 8 (125mph) and it pushed up into the marbles and off I went into the desert!

The car was mostly ok but the power steering low pressure return line was pulled loose and broken (nearly ripped off of the bottom of the car is another way to say it) so I came home on the tow truck.

Race - Repair - Repeat.

HD and sound is the best way to watch - its pretty crazy when I go off track!

1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 05-02-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #525
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is a pic before going off-roading;

And after (while inspecting the broken power steering line);
1979 911 SC
Old 05-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #526
On the slippery slope

Garage
That's a bummer on the PS hose. I suppose it could have been a whole lot worse

In a spin, both feet in!!

Looks like overall it was a fun weekend

And if you are going to insist to do off road driving at the track, get yourself a Macan!
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #527
Certified Boxster Addict

At the PCA Willow Springs races last weekend, I received a voucher for 5L of Millers Performance Racing Oil and 1L of racing brake fluid. Retail value about $100.

I want to say thanks to PCA, Racers Edge, and Millers Performance Oils! A free oil change and a brake flush is a nice way to recognize the huge effort that goes into Porsche club racing.

Millers Performance Racing Oils

1979 911 SC
Old 05-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #528
Certified Boxster Addict

Look what came in the mail today! (ok, to be honest it was UPS Freight)

Its a used 2.5L Boxster engine with only 75K miles. Paid $2850 including shipping. This will be my spare engine so I can swap it in quickly when my existing engine fails. It's a fully complete engine with intake and all accessories (some of which I will have to remove to put it into racing configuration). If I was still running a street car, it would be a straight swap.

After having two professionally rebuilt Boxster engines fail dramatically and losing big money on the investment, I am committed to running only used factory (salvage) engines.

DIY swap would only cost the price of a set of new plugs and an oil change. Even if I paid to have the engines swapped at a shop, I'd be back on the road for a little over $4K.

My existing used engine was bought with 92K miles and now has an additional 40 hours of racing on it. Hard to know how long it might last (still has original IMS bearing) but I'm starting to get that feeling in my gut that its time might be running out. And while it doesn't have any problems that I am aware, I'd like to be ahead of the curve when that time comes.

You can imagine the look on my wife's face when I mentioned that I wanted to buy a spare engine. I explained that every time that my engine fails, I re-evaluate my racing goals and if I was to do that now, I'd be very tempted/motivated to move up to racing a GT-4 class air-cooled 911.

When I told her what that might cost, she was immediately on board with spending less than $3K for a spare engine.

1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 05-06-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #529

Very cool on the millers and I think.if you put their stickers on your car you qualify for a discounted rate on their products. They have a case study on their site about a 996 that was raced using tgeir 5W40 with favorable results.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #530
Certified Boxster Addict

Did I mention that the windshield got cracked AGAIN last weekend?

Thanks to Forum members Greg Holberg and rastta along with fellow Spec Boxster racer Branimir Kovac for great advice about going to a Lexan windshield with protective film. I just ordered both.

When I do the swap, I'll weigh them and post the weight savings.

1979 911 SC
Old 05-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #531
Certified Boxster Addict

Race. Repair. Repeat.

Today was a Repair day!

Threw the car up on the lift and inspected the underside. Found that the high pressure power steering line was broken in two in the middle of the lower hard line. Originally, I thought that the low pressure line was the damaged hose but the low pressure line was only pulled loose and slightly scraped up but looked ok.

Removed the top, upper engine cover, racing seat, and front engine panel to get as much access as possible to the power steering pump.

To get to the power steering high pressure line, I also had to remove the serpentine belt and the power steering pump pulley.

The high pressure line connection is right up front as indicated by #1 in the photo. There is also a bracket on the side of the engine holding the line in place that needs to be removed (right under the #2 in the photo). Then it simply took a little bit of jiggling and jostling to get it out the bottom.

The job was made much easier since the A/C unit was already removed creating a big empty area next to the power steering pump (#2). For reference, the low pressure return line (#3) connects to the PS pump in the rear of the unit. This hose might be a bit harder to get to the connection on the rear of the pump so I was glad that I didn't have to replace it.

The remaining portion of the high pressure hard line was under the car still connected to the line that runs to the front of the car.

The high pressure hose runs about $125. I'll order it today along with a liter of CH-11S power steering fluid and install next weekend.

Onward!

Everything removed;

Front engine view of power steering pump, high pressure line (#1), space where A/C compressor was removed (#2), and low pressure line (#3);

High pressure line removed;

Remaining portion of high pressure line under car;
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 05-15-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #532

I'll give you the set up to go to an electric pump in the frunk...
just add your pump of choice.

with a set of new seals too (it never leaked, It was just preventative maint.)

how and where I routed it...

I'm in SJ
Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #533
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassmatt72 View Post
I'll give you the set up to go to an electric pump in the frunk... just add your pump of choice.
Very interesting. Heard about this type of install but never actually seen one. Thanks for the post!
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 05-15-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:31 PM   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassmatt72 View Post
I'll give you the set up to go to an electric pump in the frunk...
just add your pump of choice.
Would that be legal in SPB? By removing that pump from the belt driven by the engine, would you net more power to the wheels?
Greg Holmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #535
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Holmberg View Post
Would that be legal in SPB?
Unknown as far as I know. It is not specifically mentioned in the rules (that I could find) and thus, would seem to be technically illegal. However, there are a lot of things not in the rules that are in a lot of SPB cars.

If I were to seriously contemplate this mod, I'd request a ruling from the scruts to be sure that it would be allowed when I showed up to the track. However, I have seen so much cheating in SPB that I wouldn't be surprised at all if some cars already had this mod regardless of what the rules might say/imply or what the scruts might think or how they might rule on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Holmberg View Post
By removing that pump from the belt driven by the engine, would you net more power to the wheels?
Yes, by eliminating the power loss from the power steering pump the car should see an increase power to the rear wheels (by a small amount). Similar in function to removing A/C and/or installing an under drive pulley at the crank.
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 05-15-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:17 AM   #536

I haven't seen anyone using an electric power steering pump. I can't imagine that mod hasn't been brought up already and deemed illegal.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:28 AM   #537

Btw I went full manual rack.

It's a but of work sometimes but worth it for the "feel".
Probabally not recommend for a track car, but I've never driven it on track so what do I know?
Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 AM   #538

Quote:
Did I mention that the windshield got cracked AGAIN last weekend?

Thanks to Forum members Greg Holberg and rastta along with fellow Spec Boxster racer Branimir Kovac for great advice about going to a Lexan windshield with protective film. I just ordered both.
Are you having to cut your own, or is their a supplier out there providing pre-cut ones? If you know a supplier, can you provide?

Thanks!

Ian
Old 05-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
Are you having to cut your own, or is their a supplier out there providing pre-cut ones? If you know a supplier, can you provide?

Thanks!

Ian
Porsche Boxster Windshields: Five Star Race Car Bodies

I thought I had found another as well - but can't seem to find the link.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #540

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
Porsche Boxster Windshields: Five Star Race Car Bodies

I thought I had found another as well - but can't seem to find the link.
Awesome!! Thanks!