Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #1141

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Nice. I will very interested to hear how this set up works under track duress....I think the five speed is a lot easier shift than he six I have

To be honest I was secretly hoping to see this in the car:
The funny thing about the six in my car is that I've never actually shifted into sixth. LOL. The tracks I run, no need for more than 5th.

rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
The funny thing about the six in my car is that I've never actually shifted into sixth. LOL. The tracks I run, no need for more than 5th.
Not currently track driving.......but I can say the same even at Mosport......look it up and check how fast it is

Last edited by jaykay; 10-11-2018 at 06:08 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
I have not been able to hit 6th gear either, even on the 1KM back straight at COTA. I get to 6K RPM (my shift pt) in 5th and there doesn't seem to be enough room left to make it worth shifting to 6th. If I can get off T14 at Indy faster next yr, I might be able to catch 6th. We'll see, something to shoot for in 2019.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #1144
Certified Boxster Addict

Ok, I finally got the updated shifter installed and ran it at Buttonwillow Raceway last weekend (two days of practice).

It. Was. Awesome.

The combination of the Ben's short shifter, Function First bearings, and my rally shift knob was perfect! There is no slop in the shifting mechanism and the tall rally shift knob brings the shifter closer to the steering wheel within quick and natural reach. The shifts were effortless and I never had to think about a shift while out of the track.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #1145
Certified Boxster Addict

I had a blast of a Saturday racing at Buttonwillow with the PCA! (but I'm home a day early)

For the record, I qualified 6th of 14, worked my way up to 3rd, but did not finish (DNF) due to to a spin off track which knocked the alignment off and ended the weekend.

And per normal procedure at Buttonwillow, I had what seemed like 25 lbs of California Central Valley dirt both outside and inside the car! The dust there is super fine and when someone goes off course, it creates huge opaque dust clouds.

Overall, I am pleased with my progress and was definitely faster at this track than I ever have been. There were moments of brilliance but unfortunately they were often followed by mistakes. Now, I just need to work on consistency, consistency, consistency.

Video coming...

1979 911 SC
Old 11-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #1146
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I had a blast of a Saturday racing at Buttonwillow with the PCA! (but I'm home a day early)

For the record, I qualified 6th of 14, worked my way up to 3rd, but did not finish (DNF) due to to a spin off track which knocked the alignment off and ended the weekend.

And per normal procedure at Buttonwillow, I had what seemed like 25 lbs of California Central Valley dirt both outside and inside the car! The dust there is super fine and when someone goes off course, it creates huge opaque dust clouds.

Overall, I am pleased with my progress and was definitely faster at this track than I ever have been. There were moments of brilliance but unfortunately they were often followed by mistakes. Now, I just need to work on consistency, consistency, consistency.

Video coming...

Hmmmmmm........ jealous.

Green with envy.

Love that track.... but never been on 4 wheels. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #1147
Track rat

Garage
Good seeing you out there Tom! I did notice the car in the garage Saturday with a generous dusting of BW soil. Lots of cars got dirty this weekend but thankfully mine was not one of them.

My weekend went very well. I worked with a student in a 997 and he did great, getting signed-off to solo on Sunday. The weather, car, and tires cooperated and I managed a personal best in the final TT Sunday to seal a 2018 PCA CC07 Championship. A nice finish to a goofy season for me.

Now to prep for Laguna Seca in 2 weeks...
Old 11-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #1148
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Good seeing you out there Tom! I did notice the car in the garage Saturday with a generous dusting of BW soil. Lots of cars got dirty this weekend but thankfully mine was not one of them.

My weekend went very well. I worked with a student in a 997 and he did great, getting signed-off to solo on Sunday. The weather, car, and tires cooperated and I managed a personal best in the final TT Sunday to seal a 2018 PCA CC07 Championship. A nice finish to a goofy season for me.

Now to prep for Laguna Seca in 2 weeks...
Congratulations on the TT Championship! Well done and well deserved!
1979 911 SC
Old 11-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #1149
On the slippery slope

Garage
Great catching up with you as well. Sorry you had to miss Sunday.

Congrats to Topless too . Guess I have to suffer with 2nd place There is always next year
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Ok, I finally got the updated shifter installed and ran it at Buttonwillow Raceway last weekend (two days of practice).

It. Was. Awesome.

The combination of the Ben's short shifter, Function First bearings, and my rally shift knob was perfect! There is no slop in the shifting mechanism and the tall rally shift knob brings the shifter closer to the steering wheel within quick and natural reach. The shifts were effortless and I never had to think about a shift while out of the track.

Do you feel that a 997 shifter and tall handle / knob is a no go?

My elbow already crashes into the arm rest / console with the 997 Porsche SSK. I would like an increase in control resolution that going to a standard 997 offers but I fear that this will put travel way too far back in the gate (6-speed)

My home made knob is mounted quite low out necessity ( just to mount it)so shift effort is very high........2 to 3 can be very difficult especially on track when everything heats up.

I am planning on trying a Cayman engine cover to take pressure of the shifter cables and chaining the transmission mounts....all in an effort to smooth out shifting.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #1151
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Do you feel that a 997 shifter and tall handle / knob is a no go?

My elbow already crashes into the arm rest / console with the 997 Porsche SSK. I would like an increase in control resolution that going to a standard 997 offers but I fear that this will put travel way too far back in the gate (6-speed)

My home made knob is mounted quite low out necessity ( just to mount it)so shift effort is very high........2 to 3 can be very difficult especially on track when everything heats up.

I am planning on trying a Cayman engine cover to take pressure of the shifter cables and chaining the transmission mounts....all in an effort to smooth out shifting.
Its all about trade-offs: the taller the shift knob, the longer the travel becomes. The tall knob with the 997 shifter had a longer throw than I wanted so I went to the short shifter, but everyone is different. If you want to try it, I'll be glad to print one and ship it to you to see what you think. PM me if interested.
1979 911 SC
Old 11-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #1152
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is some video from last Saturday, including my spin.

The start was solid and I was able to make a nice pass to move up a spot on the first lap.

There was some back and forth with other cars, but later in the race, I got too deep into a turn and ended up out in the marbles, then lost the rear end and went into the dirt. The dust cloud was spectacular!

As always, full screen, 1080p, and audio improves the experience.

1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 11-13-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #1153
Certified Boxster Addict

I am glad to announce that the #254 House Automotive Spec Boxster is featured in the SSF Auto Parts 2019 calendar!

SSF provides parts on a daily basis to independent shops that repair European vehicles.

My friends have already started calling me "Mr. February"

1979 911 SC
Old 12-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #1154
Certified Boxster Addict

Tire Pressure Testing

Last Friday, I spent the morning at Willow Springs (prior to the race weekend) doing tire pressure testing.

Why? I've been running various tire pressures based on my own experiences and hearing recommendations from others. However, like a lot of drivers, I felt that I wasn't really maximizing or optimizing this important variable - it was all a bit of hit and miss for me.

What did I do? I ran the following test plan:

(1) 10 laps to warm up the car, the tires, and my driving. The goal was to run consistent 1:34 - 1:35 lap times to set a baseline. This isn't a super fast lap time for a Spec Boxster at this track (the record is 1:31) but it is fast enough to get the tires up to temp and to evaluate the handling and feel.

(2) Pit and quickly set the tires to 35 psi hot. Then immediately go back out and run 5-7 laps with as low of a lap time that I could muster while making note of the grip level, handling characteristics, and min lap time.

(3) Pit and quickly set the tires to 32.5 psi hot. Then immediately go back out and run 5-7 laps with as low of a lap time that I could muster while making note of the grip level, handling characteristics, and min lap time.

(4) Pit and quickly set the tires to 30 psi hot. Then immediately go back out and run 5-7 laps with as low of a lap time that I could muster while making note of the grip level, handling characteristics, and min lap time.

The total test time was about 50 mins and 28 laps. The goal was to keep the track and weather conditions as constant as possible. Of course, the biggest variable was the driver but I did my best to run consistent laps from group to group.

What did I learn? My fastest lap time came in the second, 32.5 psi group, however I felt that the car had more grip in the 30 psi session but I didn't take full advantage of it.

Based on these results and some other qualitative inputs like how I like the car to feel, I settled on a tire pressure setting for the upcoming weekend of racing that was highly successful in terms of providing strong grip and consistent handling characteristics throughout the three races.

The exact tire pressure that I selected is somewhat irrelevant since it is highly dependent on the setup of my car and my particular driving style - the key point to share is that if you haven't done any testing like this, you might want to consider it to help you dial in a more optimal tire pressure.

As usual, it was a weekend of very tight racing (so tight that I had a bit of incidental contact!). Race videos are coming soon!
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 12-07-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #1155

That was a great test session - good info

Did you take any tire temps before adjusting?
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #1156
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
Did you take any tire temps before adjusting?
I didn't take any tire temps on this test date. They were taken at another test day and then I had the car aligned/set up taking the tire temps into account. This was done before I attempted to fine tune with tire pressure. And yes, as the tire pressure changes, I might need to make minor alignment changes to make them all work together. The same is true if I happen to find more speed and lower my lap times which means the tires might be working harder. It can seem like an endless loop but at some point I just set up the car to the best of my knowledge and drive it!
1979 911 SC
Old 12-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #1157
Certified Boxster Addict

This week I received a very nice (and heavy) gift in the form of a GT2RS paperweight for my home office from the folks at Porsche! It's always nice to be appreciated.

1979 911 SC
Old 12-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #1158
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is video from the three practice starts at the PCA Buttonwillow race last month. Starts are always a ton of fun and excitement! Lots of close side by side racing. I could do these all day.

1979 911 SC
Old 12-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #1159
Certified Boxster Addict

Another gift from Porsche arrived today!

Looks like I'll be at the LA Porsche Driving Experience Center to drive some new cars on their short track in January. Four hours in a GT-3 RS sounds like a lot of fun...

Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles

1979 911 SC
Old 12-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #1160

Garage
Very nice, that should be fun

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote