Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Back, ribs, arms - sore!
Yep really want to learn how to relax when I approach this again......

Yeah crashes hurt the old cage....very uncomfortable.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #1102

Tom,

How effective is the rear bumper cutout / vent that is commonly found on BSR cars?

Have you ever come across pre and post vent temperature data (intake, coolant oil, engine compartment)?
Old 08-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #1103
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Tom,

How effective is the rear bumper cutout / vent that is commonly found on BSR cars?

Have you ever come across pre and post vent temperature data (intake, coolant oil, engine compartment)?
Its allowed so everyone does it but I've never seen any actual data on it (but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist). Same for the front inner fender liner vents.

Maybe someone else will jump in who has some data to share...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:12 PM   #1104

Garage
Tom,
I liked your new Shifter handle. I saw these. Expensive but really nice. Weighted too.
Www.raceseng.com
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:37 PM   #1105
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
I liked your new Shifter handle. I saw these. Expensive but really nice. Weighted too.
Www.raceseng.com
Thanks for the link - those are some very nice shifters!

I am still working on mine. I added a set screw and need to add a boss for the set screw to mount in (for this prototype, I just hand-drilled a hole and used two part epoxy on the screw mount to keep it from pulling out). I got the set screw and mount from McMaster-Carr (where else? ) I'm also finalizing the dimensions for the slot so it fits the shift handle firmly.

I have driven it twice on-track while practicing in prep for the next race. I like how it feels and the (high) position is almost perfect. The only drawback is that the shift stoke length is longer than I'd like due to the increased length (even with the 997 shifter).

In a effort to get the right balance of high position and stoke length, I ordered one of Ben's short shifters. I plan to install it this weekend.

I made a shift handle in white and it almost instantly got dirty and looked grey so I think that the final version will probably be in black. Or maybe red to match the harnesses.

1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 08-31-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:46 AM   #1106
Certified Boxster Addict

I've been wanting to do this for awhile and finally got around to it this morning - comparison of my heart rate during different activities.

- Driving at the race track (practice)
- Running (4 miles at 9:30/mi pace)
- Karting (practice)
- Hiking (7 mi with 800 ft elevation in 2 hrs)

*Sorry that the scales aren't consistent - Garmin auto scales the data.

In terms of heart rate, running is the most strenuous, followed by hiking, karting, and race car practice.

I'll get data during a car race next weekend when I'll be at AutoClub Speedway in Fontana, CA. It will be interesting to see how much my heart rate increases in a race as compared to practice.

1979 911 SC
Old 09-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #1107

Garage
Quote:
I've been wanting to do this for awhile and finally got around to it this morning - comparison of my heart rate during different activities.

- Karting (practice)

In terms of heart rate, running is the most strenuous, followed by hiking, karting, and race car practice.

I'll get data during a car race next weekend when I'll be at AutoClub Speedway in Fontana, CA. It will be interesting to see how much my heart rate increases in a race as compared to practice.

Seems the Race Track is calming for your heart
Old 09-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #1108

Quote:

- Karting (practice)

you should add sex to that list. garmin's auto-scaling would make 2 minutes look like 20 ... !
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #1109
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
you should add sex to that list. garmin's auto-scaling would make 2 minutes look like 20 ... !
I'd never last 2 mins...
1979 911 SC
Old 09-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #1110

Please let us know how this works out. I am trying to work out what would be the right balance myself. Right now I am running a short shifter and feel that more resolution would be better with a six speed.. ie put a regular 997 in there but if raise the knob towards the steering wheel will I be then regretting it.

It will very interesting to see how the resolution of the short shifter works in racing conditions......although you have 5 speed rather than a finicky 6

Quote:
Thanks for the link - those are some very nice shifters!

I am still working on mine. I added a set screw and need to add a boss for the set screw to mount in (for this prototype, I just hand-drilled a hole and used two part epoxy on the screw mount to keep it from pulling out). I got the set screw and mount from McMaster-Carr (where else? ) I'm also finalizing the dimensions for the slot so it fits the shift handle firmly.

I have driven it twice on-track while practicing in prep for the next race. I like how it feels and the (high) position is almost perfect. The only drawback is that the shift stoke length is longer than I'd like due to the increased length (even with the 997 shifter).

In a effort to get the right balance of high position and stoke length, I ordered one of Ben's short shifters. I plan to install it this weekend.

I made a shift handle in white and it almost instantly got dirty and looked grey so I think that the final version will probably be in black. Or maybe red to match the harnesses.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #1111
Certified Boxster Addict

I decided not to install the Ben short shifter this week since I'll be racing at AutoClub Speedway this weekend and didn't want to install a new part without time to test it. Installing a new part and going to the track is a sure recipe for problems.

But I did print out a few more "final" version shift levers and installed the set screw boss. I think that I'll go with the yellow shifter for this weekend since it matches the yellow wheels.

With 18 Boxster's in the field, the racing should be highly competitive. I'll post up race results on Monday.

1979 911 SC
Old 09-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #1112

I think when you do install the Ben shifter you will.like it, for me it seems to return to center more easily and felt really good on track.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #1113

Nice.....Tom!

Maybe for a small fee you print me something????

I need the same thing but with a Porsche knob on top; shift boot to slide over the bottom.

I think the tang will be too small a section to survive in plastic though.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:22 PM   #1114
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Nice.....Tom!

Maybe for a small fee you print me something????

I need the same thing but with a Porsche knob on top; shift boot to slide over the bottom.

I think the tang will be too small a section to survive in plastic though.
Sure, I'd be glad to help (and no fee needed). PM me a pic or hand drawing of what you're thinking.
1979 911 SC
Old 09-07-2018, 05:07 AM   #1115

Based on the pic in post #1105, it looks like you're running the factory bushings in your shifter. I would highly recommend the Function First Shift Right Soln that upgrades the bushings to solid aluminum, which eliminates 90% of the slop. And it's not an expensive upgrade. I've had it on my CSS for 2 yrs and I'm much more confident of my 5-4 downshifts now.

Here's their website:
FUNCTION-FIRST > Products

Here's an article on P-9 when they first came out with the Soln, along with some installation hints:
https://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-chat/116466-cup-car-shifter-teardown-shift-right-solution-upgrade.html
BE SURE TO WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHEN REMOVING THE OLD BUSHING TABS. Those suckers fly off with some velocity.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 09-25-2018 at 12:05 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:39 AM   #1116

Would be interested in a black shift knob also.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #1117
Certified Boxster Addict

It was a dark and and stormy night ... sorry, wrong update.

It was actually a hot (100F), clear, sunny day to be racing!

For the record;
Race 1: Qualified 13th of 18, finished 10th
Race 2: Started 10th, was running 6th-ish (?), mechanical issue, DNF

About 85% of the way into Race 2, I go thru a quick right/left sequence (Turn 12-13) and see the ol' James Bond white smoke screen out the back and the engine burbles for a moment, so I come off the throttle and exit the track. The engine seems to be running fine and I drove it home with no additional symptoms. I am assuming AOS and will do a vacuum test later today to try and confirm.

I also had my rear bumper cover come off during qualifying. It was my best attempt to slow the qualifying lap of Branimir (who was directly behind me). Sorry dude. I'm not sure what happened, it just flew off. All of the mounting holes were ripped through so there was no way to remount it so I just raced without it. The safety crew recovered it but it was heavily damaged (torn in four places) so I'll have to get a replacement.

Despite these issues, there were a lot of things that went right:
  • My driving was pretty decent and definitely improved in some areas
  • Since becoming much more fit, the high heat didn't affect me at all like it used to
  • Mental focus was consistently strong though both of the races without any late race fade
  • Car handling has greatly improved
  • New shift lever worked great and I really liked the positioning
There was a ton of great close racing and despite the mechanical issues, I had an incredibly good time.

I have a lot of photos, video, and even some heart rate data to share.

Pre-race photo...

I went with a red shifter to match the harnesses...

Does this make my butt look ... smaller?
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 09-09-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #1118

Nice work man....unfortunately it really is dark and stormy here!

The red shifter handle looks great....perhaps it will also enhance control situational awareness in the cockpit

I have a black bumper cover for you but Toronto to LA shipping would be a killer
Old 09-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #1119
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
I have a black bumper cover for you but Toronto to LA shipping would be a killer
Thanks and yes, shipping is outrageous for these kinds of items. I found a nice one locally on eBay and the (random) seller had even heard of my car...

1979 911 SC
Old 09-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #1120

Quote:
Sure, I'd be glad to help (and no fee needed). PM me a pic or hand drawing of what you're thinking.
Here is a rough sketch. I will need t get some length dimensions for you. It will eventually have to be made in metal but would serve well for prototyping...