Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #701
Certified Boxster Addict

Another exciting day!

This morning I qualified 2nd. Just before the race, the driver on pole decided to start from the back and work his way up to the front, so that moved me to P1.

I got a great start and was able to pull a short gap on the field and led about half of the race. I faded towards the end of the race and finished 4th.

Overall, it was good weekend having reached my near-term goal of keeping up with the group at the front of the pack. Now, I just need to work on staying out front a little bit longer.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:40 AM   #702

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Another exciting day!

This morning I qualified 2nd. Just before the race, the driver on pole decided to start from the back and work his way up to the front, so that moved me to P1.

I got a great start and was able to pull a short gap on the field and led about half of the race. I faded towards the end of the race and finished 4th.

Overall, it was good weekend having reached my near-term goal of keeping up with the group at the front of the pack. Now, I just need to work on staying out front a little bit longer.
Cheers!
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #703
Certified Boxster Addict

This SD card cost me 3 hours of troubleshooting Sunday! (damn those things are small now!)

After not getting any of the three past races on video, I wanted to finally get to the source of the problem. Previously every time that I thought that I had it fixed, it happened again (and again).

I spoke to Brad Roberts and he said to update everything to the latest firmware and then if its still a problem, its the SD card.

Now, I have great respect for Brad but thought it was weird that an SD card that had worked perfectly fine for two years all of a sudden starts to fail? I had never heard of this - SD cards don't wear out (at least not in this type of consumer application). But, what the heck, I wanted to get this working once and for all.

I started by updating the camera firmware and the configuration app to the latest versions. Easy, breezy.

Next, I configured a test setup that worked the same way that the camera is controlled in the car (the camera is supposed to turn on automatically when 5vdc power is applied through the mini-USB connector and turn off when power is removed. The Traqmate data system supplies the power automatically so the video and data is synchronized).

The camera worked fine for the first two rounds of tests (the camera automatically creates an individual 1.1GB segmented video file roughly every 10 mins. I also started and stopped the camera a few times to re-create track sessions).

Close to the end of the second test, it simply stopped recording and lost all of the configuration data so all subsequent attempts to get the camera to record were fruitless. This is exactly what kept happening at the track. I had to re-format the SD card and re-set all of the config settings to get the camera to come back to life.

The good news is that I was able to re-create the problem and it looks like its either the data card or the camera itself.

Then I swapped the old SD card for a new Patriot 32GB Class 10 card and started re-running the tests. Thus far, I've been able to record almost 50GB of video without any problems.

Testing will continue through the week until I feel confident that it will work. Then I'll do some in-car testing this weekend just to make sure.

I think that I'll smash the old SD card with a sledge hammer just to make me feel better.
Attached Images

1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 10-21-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #704

Flash memory actually does have a wear out time. They are designed to compensate for memory that does wear out by remapping locations and other techniques.

How does flash memory work? - Explain that Stuff

In addition, all semiconductor devices have long term reliability degradation. In the simplest terms, the transistors age and slow down. This is statistically compensated for with increased voltage, but sometimes the increase is insufficient for the aging. Sometimes the wires connecting transistors break down due to electro-migration.
These are all factors that go into the design and working life estimations of electronics

Mike

Quote:

This SD card cost me 3 hours of troubleshooting Sunday! (damn those things are small now!)

After not getting any of the three past races on video, I wanted to finally get to the source of the problem. Previously every time that I thought that I had it fixed, it happened again (and again).

I spoke to Brad Roberts and he said to update everything to the latest firmware and then if its still a problem, its the SD card.

Now, I have great respect for Brad but thought it was weird that an SD card that had worked perfectly fine for two years all of a sudden starts to fail? I had never heard of this - SD cards don't wear out (at least not in this type of consumer application). But, what the heck, I wanted to get this working once and for all.

I started by updating the camera firmware and the configuration app to the latest versions. Easy, breezy.

Next, I configured a test setup that worked the same way that the camera is controlled in the car (the camera is supposed to turn on automatically when 5vdc power is applied through the mini-USB connector and turn off when power is removed. The Traqmate data system supplies the power automatically so the video and data is synchronized).

The camera worked fine for the first two rounds of tests (the camera automatically creates an individual 1.1GB segmented video file roughly every 10 mins. I also started and stopped the camera a few times to re-create track sessions).

Close to the end of the second test, it simply stopped recording and lost all of the configuration data so all subsequent attempts to get the camera to record were fruitless. This is exactly what kept happening at the track. I had to re-format the SD card and re-set all of the config settings to get the camera to come back to life.

The good news is that I was able to re-create the problem and it looks like its either the data card or the camera itself.

Then I swapped the old SD card for a new Patriot 32GB Class 10 card and started re-running the tests. Thus far, I've been able to record almost 50GB of video without any problems.

Testing will continue through the week until I feel confident that it will work. Then I'll do some in-car testing this weekend just to make sure.

I think that I'll smash the old SD card with a sledge hammer just to make me feel better.
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #705
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
Flash memory actually does have a wear out time. They are designed to compensate for memory that does wear out by remapping locations and other techniques.

How does flash memory work? - Explain that Stuff

In addition, all semiconductor devices have long term reliability degradation. In the simplest terms, the transistors age and slow down. This is statistically compensated for with increased voltage, but sometimes the increase is insufficient for the aging. Sometimes the wires connecting transistors break down due to electro-migration.
These are all factors that go into the design and working life estimations of electronics

Mike
Thanks Mike - good info!

Still strange that the old SD card is problematic since it only got used about 100 times a year. But with that being said, the new SD card is working fine thus far with almost 100GB written/read without any problems.

Lesson learned.
1979 911 SC
Old 12-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #706
Certified Boxster Addict

I tested the camera in the car this morning and no joy.

Started working my way thru the system and ultimately found that the TraqDash unit that controls the camera operation was only outputting 1vdc instead of 5vdc. No surprise that the camera wasn't working!

I went to the TraqMate website and found that they announced in July that they were halting production and unfortunately, they appear to be in the process of closing down. The website said they will still provide repairs and support so I sent them a message explaining the problem.

I'd rather not change the data system, so just in case TraqMate can't repair the unit I bought a 12vdc to 5vdc convertor module. I can tie the input to the 12vdc power going to the TraqMate and then wire the 5vdc output direct to the camera (bypassing the TraqDash).

This should fix the problem one way or another.
1979 911 SC
Old 12-20-2016, 07:22 AM   #707

Tom, I have a traqmate I took out of my car 2 years ago
bkovac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #708
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkovac View Post
Tom, I have a traqmate I took out of my car 2 years ago
Thanks! PM or text me with what you'd like for it.
1979 911 SC
Old 12-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #709
Certified Boxster Addict

There was a recent Spec Boxster racing incident where the 986 engine cover came loose during an incident and allowed fire in the engine compartment to enter the passenger compartment.

Thus, Spec Boxster race cars are recommended to use the 987 metal engine cover that attaches with screwed fasteners to replace the 986 composite engine cover that uses the quick release clips to help prevent the engine cover from becoming displaced in an incident.

The screw is a Torx T30 head.

Here is the OEM parts list:
  • 987 engine cover (PN 98751321102)
  • Oval-head screw m6 x 16 (PN 99907327902)
  • Speed nut M8 (PN 99959186901)
As you can see in the photos, I have everything sitting in my workshop and plan to install next week.

1979 911 SC
Old 12-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #710
Certified Boxster Addict

Been working on the data and camera system the past few days...

Unfortunately, TraqMate hasn't been a lot of help. All I get from them is that I need to configure the system properly. Well, I've done that about 15 times and still get the same result - no video!

So, today I installed a 12vdc to 5vdc convertor module. Instead of using switched power, I connected the input to 12vdc constant power and ran it though a dash switch. Then I wired the 5vdc output direct to the cameras (bypassing the TraqDash).

At the same time, I split the output three ways so I can run three cameras simultaneously (one looking forward, one looking rearward, and one looking at me). All three will be controlled (on/off) by a simple dash switch.

This should guarantee video in the future!
1979 911 SC
Old 12-30-2016, 03:37 PM   #711
Certified Boxster Addict

Camera install pic's. Cam1 looks forward, Cam2 looks rearward, Cam3 is pointed at the driver.

Bench tested everything yesterday and tested everything in the car today. Lots of video coming at the next race!

Bench testing...

Front and rear cams...

Driver cam... (final mount not installed in photo)
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 01-01-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #712
Certified Boxster Addict

The details for the 987 metal engine cover installation can be found here: Cayman or 987 Boxster engine cover on 986 Boxster

1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 12-30-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #713
On the slippery slope

Garage
Do you ever rest?
Happy New Year
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:45 PM   #714
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Do you ever rest?
Happy New Year
I'll sleep when I'm dead! Lots to do, not enough time to do it!

See you soon.
1979 911 SC
Old 12-31-2016, 07:16 PM   #715

Quote:
Lots of video coming at the next race!
Very Good.... looking forward to it!!

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #716

More Stone movies is a good thing!
Old 01-01-2017, 09:15 AM   #717

Quote:
The details for the 987 metal engine cover installation can be found here: Cayman or 987 Boxster engine cover on 986 Boxster

Thanks for posting this safety up grade Tom. What is that mysterious black box and strap on your clamshell? I don't think that cover will be popping anytime soon with that serious M8 hardware. We need titanium here!

It looks as if one might be able to mount the speaker box if it is trimmed at the rear edge for the hump. Can't say for sure.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:45 PM   #718
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
What is that mysterious black box and strap on your clamshell?
If I understand the question correctly, that little black box with the wire is my external GPS receiver for the data system and what might look like a strap is a bracket where the fiberglass hard top bolts through the rear window.
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 02-02-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:14 AM   #719

Quote:
Editing the video this morning. These images are 1 sec apart.

What did the car spinning do?
What did the car ahead do?
What should I do?

Those couple of seconds seem like a lifetime.

The way I see it...
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #720

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Thanks for posting this safety up grade Tom. What is that mysterious black box and strap on your clamshell? I don't think that cover will be popping anytime soon with that serious M8 hardware. We need titanium here!

It looks as if one might be able to mount the speaker box if it is trimmed at the rear edge for the hump. Can't say for sure.
Ahhh right; thanks. Did you dyna mat the inside of the covers(s).....too heavy I guess?