Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 05:18 AM   #1

Track Vid - PCA Road Atlanta DE

first event at the road atlanta. WOW, what a place! i can't believe i never went before.

perfect weather, great people & ridiculous fun.

here's one fairly clean lap before we catch lapped traffic.

the 1st point by is a 2010 GT3.

the 2nd point by is a new cayman R driven by porsche pro driver cass whitehead (porsche was giving rides to develop interest in the car; UNREAL what those guys can do). love it or hate it, that PDK is FAST.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #2

I went around Mosport up here in Canada in a Cayman R....the car is absolutely blistering on track....not sure about it's viability as a regular street car though. Perhaps this one had a solid motor mount and suspension work done

In this car you brake and then fly into a corner and hang on!! Mosport will make all of it al the more intense

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite View Post
first event at the road atlanta. WOW, what a place! i can't believe i never went before.

the 2nd point by is a new cayman R driven by porsche pro driver cass whitehead (porsche was giving rides to develop interest in the car; UNREAL what those guys can do). love it or hate it, that PDK is FAST.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I went around Mosport up here in Canada in a Cayman R....the car is absolutely blistering on track....not sure about it's viability as a regular street car though. Perhaps this one had a solid motor mount and suspension work done

In this car you brake and then fly into a corner and hang on!! Mosport will make all of it al the more intense

pretty quick car for sure. these guys were on street tires w/ a showroom stock car. they were turning 1:38's with passengers! that is WAY fast at road atlanta. the amazing thing to me was how hard the pros can get on the brakes. that & the fact that they were left foot braking (no clutch!) made for a pretty spectacular ride.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #4

That looks like a fabulous track.....don't think one can get away from an oil control system on these sweepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite View Post

Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #5

awesome insite. how to you get on the track? how much and what do you have to do to the car in order for them to "okay" it? would love to try it. looks like so much fun.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #6

Garage
Kevin,

Very nice, so you rode the whole track in 3rd and 4th? I was wondering how the gears would go having never driven Road Atlanta. I really wanted to be there to catch a ride in one of the Caymans since the DE was full but I had a previous obligation announcing a horse show at the Georgia International Horse Park. Well next time I will get on the list early. You made it look effortless like a Sunday drive and I know it is not. Thanks for the video!

Scott
Old 10-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Great video! You look very smooth and keep the car well balanced. Beautiful weather too!

I hope that more folks post up their track videos!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #8

was definitely a great weekend. fantastic course. pretty quick, too! a 1:45s lap means an average speed of 87! beats the hell out of golf.....

tulane - your car is fine as is. if you decide to do this more frequently, there are a few things you can buy that will cut down on the cost in the long run. PM me your email address & i'll add you to my track day email list; i do a few a year at a small alabama track. as for road atlanta? this was a pca event (Peachstate Web). it's around $385 for the weekend. if you're new, you'll spend some time in the classroom & plenty of time on track.

scott - 3rd & 4th is right. sometimes i'll snatch 2nd in turn 7 if i'm behind a slower car & need serious torque on the back straight. you can see my tach in the vid. redline (7300) in 3rd is 100mph and redline in 4th is just a hair short of 140mph. most of the turns there are very fast.

thstone - thx for the compliments. once a week goes by & vimeo will let me post another video, i'll put one up w/ a pretty cool camera angle. i stuck the gopro down low on the door for one session. cool perspective!

Old 10-31-2011, 05:22 AM   #9

a little more video from the weekend. this was w/ the GoPro suctioned to the door down low.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #10

Nice smooth consistant driving Insite! Precise every lap....

Great camera angle now I know what my wheels look like when they are spinning