Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 07:35 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
helmets

i signed up for PCA finally, now im looking into a helmet to acquire b4 i do any events and got time to find the right on while the weather is whatever

any advice on where to get one, or specifications and any other info.

thx

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:37 PM   #2

yea second that. I wanna do a DE and maybe autoX and need a helmet.

Which one to get???? I know nada about helmets.
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:26 PM   #3

Hi,

Auto-X and most DE Tech requirements specify a Helmet rated SA2000 or higher such as SA2005, though some require only a Snell M rating. Go with the SA2005 because this is the newest rating certification.

Snell Foundation rates helmets against a much more stringent criteria than the DOT Helmets. Snell issues a new rating standard every 5 years. Snell or DOT 'M' rating is for Motorcycle use, not for racing. The SA stands for Special Application.

With a DOT rating, the Manufacturer simply states that they have complied with the DOT standards in manufacture, not actually subjecting the Helmet to Testing. In actuality, many of these Helmets fail when subjected to these DOT standards, as many as 30%.

Helmets carrying the Snell Foundation Rating have been subjected to the Test procedure and have been found to pass, so it is considered the better of the two ratings.

As far as a Helmet is concerned, buy a good one, it will withstand the greatest amount of use and will give good service. Also get a Balaclava or head sock, to keep from staining the inside with sweat etc. I am a fan of Bell helmets. They are more utilitarian and not as sexy as some other manufacturers such as 'G' Force, Impact, and others. It's been my experience that the flash of someone's Race Gear (Helmet, Gloves, Shoes, Driving Suit), is inversely proportional to their skill level. The guy's with the Darth Vader Faceshields on custom painted helmets with color-coordinated driving gear usually can't drive for ********************, while the guy in the oil stained suit and banged-up helmet often turns in the better times.

Bell's been around for nearly 50 years and have an excellent history. I also prefer a full face helmet and currently use the Bell GTX SA2005, because it is a full face helmet and is approved by all Sanctioning Bodies for the various types of events I participate in. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 12-13-2006 at 08:33 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:43 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
to be honest man, i was posting this and hoping you owuld chime in.
ill look into it and find soemthing with that newest rating, i figured my arai dot approved bike helmet that i have left from the motorcycle days wouldnt do.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Auto-X and most DE Tech requirements specify a Helmet rated SA2000 or higher such as SA2005, though some require only a Snell M rating. Go with the SA2005 because this is the newest rating certification.

Snell Foundation rates helmets against a much more stringent criteria than the DOT Helmets. Snell issues a new rating standard every 5 years. Snell or DOT 'M' rating is for Motorcycle use, not for racing. The SA stands for Special Application.

Yes. The Snell SA rated helmets are designed to protect you in a multi-impact collision and are made of fire retardant materials unlike M rated motorcycle helmets.

I recently upgraded my helmet to SA2005 as the old SA95 will no longer be accepted at tech inspection. Bell, Shoei, Pyrotec and Zaamp all have SA2005 helmets available from $200-$800. Maybe a nice Christmas gift to self...
Old 12-14-2006, 05:52 AM   #6

I got mine at discoveryparts.com

I ended up with a Bell, since G-Force didn't have the one
I wanted.

G-Force makes them a bit less expensive, but they meet
the same Snell 2005 ratings.

I bought a "hybrid." That is a full face one, but the opening
is larger than a traditional full face racing one. The reason
for that is that for DE's, you can communicate with your
instructor better. Less yelling, etc.

Although here in the Lone Star region our instructors use
a nifty earpiece/microphone setup so we don't have to yell.

Other regions may as well, I don't know.

But if you have to crash, and hopefully you won't (as
does PCA -- they get pretty whacked out about it if
you do), a full face one is better than an open one.

And the G-Force hybrid isn't really all that much more
than an open face one.

You can see them here. I called, talked to a guy named
Ron. Very knowledgeable and helpful. I recommend
them highly.

http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=helmets_gforce

Let us know...

- Mark
Houston C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
to be honest man, i was posting this and hoping you owuld chime in.
ill look into it and find soemthing with that newest rating, i figured my arai dot approved bike helmet that i have left from the motorcycle days wouldnt do.
If you're motorcycle helmet carries the required Snell rating you can use it for every autocross I have done in vicinity of Chicago. I believe it will also satisfy the local PCA autocross requirements. If you want to jump into DE's than take a look at the rules as they will list the helmet requirement. Since all I do is autocross my HJC helmet that I bought from the local motorcycle store suits me just fine.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
If you're motorcycle helmet carries the required Snell rating you can use it for every autocross I have done in vicinity of Chicago. I believe it will also satisfy the local PCA autocross requirements. If you want to jump into DE's than take a look at the rules as they will list the helmet requirement. Since all I do is autocross my HJC helmet that I bought from the local motorcycle store suits me just fine.
Hi,

You must have a snell SA rated Helmet for cycling. Every Auto-X I have ever attended would not allow the use of a DOT or Snell M rated Helmet, nor would I want to wear one...

Old 12-14-2006, 06:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston C4S
I got mine at discoveryparts.com

I ended up with a Bell, since G-Force didn't have the one
I wanted.

G-Force makes them a bit less expensive, but they meet
the same Snell 2005 ratings.

I bought a "hybrid." That is a full face one, but the opening
is larger than a traditional full face racing one. The reason
for that is that for DE's, you can communicate with your
instructor better. Less yelling, etc.

Although here in the Lone Star region our instructors use
a nifty earpiece/microphone setup so we don't have to yell.

Other regions may as well, I don't know.

But if you have to crash, and hopefully you won't (as
does PCA -- they get pretty whacked out about it if
you do), a full face one is better than an open one.

And the G-Force hybrid isn't really all that much more
than an open face one.

You can see them here. I called, talked to a guy named
Ron. Very knowledgeable and helpful. I recommend
them highly.

http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=helmets_gforce

Let us know...

- Mark
Hi,

Sounds like you have the Bell M2 or SR Pro Helmet. I have used them both and they're great!...

Old 12-14-2006, 06:26 AM   #10

A few things to add:
1. Fire is a much bigger issue in a car than in a motorcycle, so it's much more important to have a fire retardant helmet in a car. You don't want plastic melting onto your face and head while you sit trapped in a fire.
2. Be careful when buying online without tryng it on as same sizes fit differently for different brands and even for different models within the same brand.
3. Make sure the fit is not too tight around your ears, to allow for the communication headset that will let you communicate with the instructor. Same is valid if planning to wear glasses. Some helmets can be very uncomfortable with glasses on.

Z.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Hi,

You must have a snell SA rated Helmet for cycling. Every Auto-X I have ever attended would not allow the use of a DOT or Snell M rated Helmet, nor would I want to wear one...

I have the Snell 2005 rating on one of the many stickers buried underneath the padding. I believe it is a M rated helmet but has satisified the Chicago SCCA, Milwaukee SCCA (two different groups) and the Northwest Indiana SCCA. My HJC cost me under $200 and is quite comfortable and the graphics on it make me go faster.

I have also used Bell in the past which are very nice helmets. It was simply more convenient to stop by the local motorcycle shop on my way home.

I agree that if you are going to do DE's than go for a good helmet that was designed for that purpose.

Sammy

Last edited by Sammy; 12-14-2006 at 07:51 AM.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:45 AM   #12
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Hi,

Here in SoCal. PCA Zone8 will allow Snell M2000 (motorcycle) helmets for Auto-X but not for D.E. If you already own a Snell M2000 you can use it here. If you are shopping for a new one get the SA2005 rating.

We all hope that we will never crash but the reality is sometimes it does happen. I was in a 993 this year when a 914 made an error and spun right in front of me at about 60mph. We were about 1 car length from impact. If/when I do bump into something I want to know that my head and face are well protected.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #13

Check with your organizations as to what Snell rating they require. I've not done any autocross or DE in the Boxster, but for karting I've never come across a situation where my M-rated helmet wasn't acceptable. Honestly, the biggest difference between M and SA is in the fireproofing, and if that was such a concern they'd require everyone to have a firesuit..

That said, I've got my eye on a new helmet, probably for next season, and I'll be going with an SA because I eventually have my eye on doing some open wheel at some point and I want to be sure what I buy for karting I can use for the big cars.

I've got an HJC now - it was cheap, it fits well, and is well ventilated. I also like the Bell helmets, they're priced well and have a great reputation. I can't comment on the G-Force helmets, but I've got a pair of their driving shoes and they're well made.

Make sure if you don't have a local shop where you can go try them on that you understand and adhere to the return policy. All helmets fit differently and you want to make sure you can return it and that you understand what you can and can't do before you return it. I've heard of people not being able to return a helmet because they took the plastic film off the visor.

One last recommendation.. If you can try to find a helmet with a removable and washable liner. One summers' worth of karting in hot weather and that helmet starts to become an uncomfortable place to be with the shield down

Also, if you're shopping online, I recommend saferacer.com

I've bought everything but my helmet through them (bought that through a local motorcycle shop) and I've had nothing but good experiences.

Last edited by BuffaloBoxster; 12-14-2006 at 11:02 AM.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #14

Wink Full Face

I strongly suggest a full face helmet. I saw some guys with correct Snell rating but with open face helmets at various Drivers Ed events with PCA. The thought of brakeing my jaw and knocking teeth out never appealed to me and I always wondered if those guys ever contemplated connecting with the steering wheel or were just claustraphobic.
If you get serious about DE you may consider the four or five point harness which holds you in place like no DOT seatbelt ever can, leaving you time to aim the car rather than to fight keeping your position behind the wheel. Just some thoughts to pass on.

986geezer
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:59 PM   #15
bmussatti

djomlas, a good place to try on helmets is Northstar Motorsports in Barrington. They are a PCA sponsor. 847-304-5515.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
... Honestly, the biggest difference between M and SA is in the fireproofing, and if that was such a concern they'd require everyone to have a firesuit...
Hi,

Just to clarify, there's a big difference between a DOT and a Snell Foundation rating. Fire resistance, while better in the SA Helmets, isn't the only difference.

The DOT Rating is merely a manufacturer stating that they manufacture the helmet to meet the DOT standards (and many have been found to fail when actually tested). It is not a certification of actual testing, rather of manufacturing techniques and material quality..

The Snell Foundation will only bestow a rating on a Helmet which has actually been tested by Snell.

As mentioned, these Snell rated Helmets must withstand multiple impacts in testing whereas the DOT Testing tests only on initial impact. Many of these Helmets crack after impact, but do protect the wearer for that impact, leaving little, or no, protection for subsequent impacts.

Many people use the DOT rated Helmets for cycling because they are generally lighter in weight than a Snell rated one. But, if you want to spend the megabucks, there are several lighter Snell rated Helmets. Bell makes several from Kevlar which are lighter and if $$ is no object, the Helmets from French Manufacturer Stand 21, are exceptionally light helmets, still with the Snell SA2005 rating.

Personally, considering the importance of a Brain Bucket, I would never use anything but a Snell rated helmet for motorcycling, nor would I ever consider any other helmet than a Bell or Simpson (I'd use a Stand 21, but can't justify the extra $$), though many may disagree...

Old 12-14-2006, 04:46 PM   #17

Garage
I purchased an open face G-Force this past year to replace my 95 spec Simpson. Cost about 1/3 less, weighs less and oviously meets the 2005 spec.

I like open face for comfort reasons although I'm sure you can make a case for the better protection of a full face helmet.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:00 PM   #18

I've had Bell and G-Force, and chose the G-Force because it was so much lighter, and my neck has thanked me ever since.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Hi,

Just to clarify, there's a big difference between a DOT and a Snell Foundation rating. Fire resistance, while better in the SA Helmets, isn't the only difference.
To clarify, I was talking about a Snell M rated helmet versus a Snell SA rated helmet. There are several Bell helmets that can be had in either an M rating or SA rating, the difference being the SA has a fireproof lining. Fire resistance isn't the only difference in the ratings, but it is a major difference.

I would never use a non-Snell rated helmet for anything. In situations where fire is not as much of a concern, such as karting or Autocross, and your sanctioning body accepts it, a Snell M-rated helmet can in some cases save you a significant amount of money over an SA rated helmet.

My karting organization does not allow DOT-certified-only helmets. It must be a Snell M or SA rated helmet.

BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote