Thread: helmets
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 02:11 PM   #16
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
... Honestly, the biggest difference between M and SA is in the fireproofing, and if that was such a concern they'd require everyone to have a firesuit...
Hi,

Just to clarify, there's a big difference between a DOT and a Snell Foundation rating. Fire resistance, while better in the SA Helmets, isn't the only difference.

The DOT Rating is merely a manufacturer stating that they manufacture the helmet to meet the DOT standards (and many have been found to fail when actually tested). It is not a certification of actual testing, rather of manufacturing techniques and material quality..

The Snell Foundation will only bestow a rating on a Helmet which has actually been tested by Snell.

As mentioned, these Snell rated Helmets must withstand multiple impacts in testing whereas the DOT Testing tests only on initial impact. Many of these Helmets crack after impact, but do protect the wearer for that impact, leaving little, or no, protection for subsequent impacts.

Many people use the DOT rated Helmets for cycling because they are generally lighter in weight than a Snell rated one. But, if you want to spend the megabucks, there are several lighter Snell rated Helmets. Bell makes several from Kevlar which are lighter and if $$ is no object, the Helmets from French Manufacturer Stand 21, are exceptionally light helmets, still with the Snell SA2005 rating.

Personally, considering the importance of a Brain Bucket, I would never use anything but a Snell rated helmet for motorcycling, nor would I ever consider any other helmet than a Bell or Simpson (I'd use a Stand 21, but can't justify the extra $$), though many may disagree...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote