Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2024, 11:00 AM   #21
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Dead? Maybe my car, but not us, not yet. No way.

Old 02-05-2024, 02:33 PM   #22

For nearly everything I've needed to know, searching old threads gets me the knowledge I need to keep the car running. I figure it would be unnecessary to bump those old posts just to let everyone know I read them.

There's a lot less modifying here than other car forums I've been a part of- granted, Porsche has an aesthetic that doesn't lend itself to the common Honda kind of mods (not judging, I have a larger spoiler and vortex generators on my Civic), but there's a lot of "just buy the next model up" thinking. And it makes sense to some extent, obviously Porsche set up the horsepower numbers between the models with this in mind, but there's a lot less for me to want to do with a Boxster than with a Civic.

I'm not entirely complaining, as I don't want to see big barn door wings on any car, but I would be posting a lot more if there wasn't a near consensus that exhaust doesn't gain hp, headers don't gain hp, the computer can't adjust far enough to put Cayman airbox/maf housing/plenum on without reflashing, etc. The car is what it is, and I still like it. Just doesn't give me much to post about, though.
Hasdrubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:31 AM   #23
Who's askin'?

It seems like every time I dip back in to this forum, I see another one of these "this forum is dead" threads.

Maybe an unpopular opinion here, but this forum has had a lot of curmudgeon-ry over the years. Many of the old-timers are very rude, and discourage new people from asking questions. You know who you are. (if you want examples, just search my own posts from when I started here 8 or so years ago.)

There are plenty of modifications that can be done to this car with successful results.... despite what the forum peanut gallery would say. And frankly, perhaps the best example of what I'm talking about might be the forum's religion surrounding Jesus (er, I mean Jake) Raby.

Don't misunderstand; I think everyone should be allowed to have their opinions, and voice them in whatever way they like. I'm a guy who will push back, which was the source of some lively threads here several years ago, haha. But I think most would rather go find somewhere more friendly to their new-guy questions and excitement. (Though I don't know where that would be. IMHO, the internet in its entirety has become a very nasty and wholly unfriendly place)

Just my thoughts this morning.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 01:24 AM   #24

Garage
From reading this I should expect my thread asking for help with an issue to be moderated any time soon then?
RupturedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 04:11 AM   #25
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupturedDuck View Post
From reading this I should expect my thread asking for help with an issue to be moderated any time soon then?
Moderated? Just post your inquiries. We don't need permission from moderators. We welcome newcomers. I'll admit, I sometimes can be sarcastic. Just put on your big boy pants when you visit. You'll be fine. Shoot back if you have to. No one ever has died from stinging comments, though I'm sure a few have modified their pronouns.

Welcome!
Old 02-13-2024, 04:33 AM   #26
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Moderated? Just post your inquiries. We don't need permission from moderators. We welcome newcomers. I'll admit, I sometimes can be sarcastic. Just put on your big boy pants when you visit. You'll be fine. Shoot back if you have to. No one ever has died from stinging comments, though I'm sure a few have modified their pronouns.

Welcome!
To be clear: your sarcasm and good-naturedly caustic wit aren't what I was referring to below, haha.

Old 02-13-2024, 07:49 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
To be clear: your sarcasm and good-naturedly caustic wit aren't what I was referring to below, haha.

It’s ok. I’m a grown up with a thick head and thicker skin.

Posted a couple of new threads but won’t post them saying awaiting moderation. Don’t really want to hijack anyone else thread but could find an appropriate one?
RupturedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 10:11 AM   #28

Quote:
My better 3/4 says same about me...

well...

she transposes the adjectives though...

Old 02-13-2024, 10:14 AM   #29
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:

LOL! I considered inquiring. My feelers tell me with whom, and whom not, I can "mess" with. You're not one of them.

By the way... you've been "back" more and more. Did you sell the Ferrari? Do you still have the box? New projects on the horizon?
Old 02-13-2024, 10:17 AM   #30
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:

Posted a couple of new threads but won’t post them saying awaiting moderation. Don’t really want to hijack anyone else thread but could find an appropriate one?
Find a closely related post and render your inquiries there. I can't recall anyone, even a moderator, coming down on hijackers. No sense waiting... bring it on.
Old 02-13-2024, 02:42 PM   #31
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Why….

….the Raby smack talk?
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 03:43 PM   #32
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
LOL! I considered inquiring. My feelers tell me with whom, and whom not, I can "mess" with. You're not one of them.

By the way... you've been "back" more and more. Did you sell the Ferrari? Do you still have the box? New projects on the horizon?
Nah... I'd be handing that $4i7 right back at you.... if I was as good as you are at it, haha. I know when I'm out-matched.

Yes, I sold the f430. Put 25k miles on it and sold it for more than I paid... which emboldened me.... so I bought another car that I'd take a $40k bath on if I sold it right now.... pfft. She'll only let me do that once, haha.
Also sold the spec boxster.
Still hovering here because my son has a 986 now, and I'm thinking I'll grab another one soon, if I find the right deal.

In the meantime, I've taken up farm-life and horse training. I'll post a picture and then brace myself for the uncle fester comments.

Old 02-13-2024, 03:44 PM   #33
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
….the Raby smack talk?
Nah, I've got plenty of respect for Raby. It's the mindless zealots I can't abide.

Old 02-14-2024, 02:54 AM   #34
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Nah... I'd be handing that $4i7 right back at you.... if I was as good as you are at it, haha. I know when I'm out-matched.

Yes, I sold the f430. Put 25k miles on it and sold it for more than I paid... which emboldened me.... so I bought another car that I'd take a $40k bath on if I sold it right now.... pfft. She'll only let me do that once, haha.
Also sold the spec boxster.
Still hovering here because my son has a 986 now, and I'm thinking I'll grab another one soon, if I find the right deal.

In the meantime, I've taken up farm-life and horse training. I'll post a picture and then brace myself for the uncle fester comments.

Uncle Fester? No way!! You look great!

Who's the guy next to you? And why are you holding him up?

Old 02-17-2024, 12:41 PM   #35

Dude awesome! Would love to own horses of my own someday (moreso the acreage the accommodate horses properly tbh). My first job at 13 was "taking care of my neighbors horses after school every day" - that is code for scooping poop). I miss being around horses!

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote