Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2024, 06:58 AM   #1

Seriously... forum is dead/dying

Used to post here all the time (sometimes daily). I've now moved over to Rennlist. I don't buy the whole "car is 25+ years old, all questions have been asked and answered" excuse. I'm on some 914 forums that are extremely active daily, and those are 50 years old!

I'm a HUGE fan of Pelican Parts - they're my go-to for both my Boxster and 914 stuff.. so this doesn't come from a place of hate.

Fix the damn SSL certificate... literally costs a few $$ annually, and as an operating business, I would never do business with a company that couldn't spring for security.

Even at a minimum to protect the login, it's worth it. Stop acting like a website cert is optional. It's 2024.

The irony is this post will probably have more ads on it automatically added than it will member responses.

How can I help bring this forum back to life?

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 09:19 AM   #2

Sadly, it does feels like an echo chamber at times. I'm often the last person to comment on my posts or in the sub group for days at a time.

However, as a database for old posts/issues/DIYs.... It has been essential on my journey so far. These cars are in the sweet spot for depreciation, so I would think there would be a lot more new comers.

Someone in my area just posted a 2000 S for sale with 115k miles that just passed smog for only $7500.....sort of kicking myself for what I paid last year.....

"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!"
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 03:53 PM   #3

Don't judge from the dead of winter when many cars are put away for the winter and people have other priorities. Wait till spring and all that deferred maintenance brings people out.
Old 01-30-2024, 12:39 AM   #4

Noob

I'm a noob here, I've asked two questions on this site and neither have even been posted.
Disappointed much.
helm hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 04:57 AM   #5

Garage
Yes it is quiet here. This site does need to be updated, not just security but ease of posting a simple image needs to be improved. The simple ability to like a post would also be nice.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 05:06 AM   #6

It would be nice if the admins checked in from time to time. There are obvious scammers posting. I've hit the report button on these but nothing happens. I even took the approach in my reason why I was reporting to say they were hawknig a competing reporting tool, thinking that would wake the admins up. Alas, the threads are still up.

I too like Pelican Parts and they're generally my go to site to purchase parts. I've bought $700 worth of parts for the Spyder and who knows how much for the shark.

I just wish they did a better job as admins.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 06:12 AM   #7

What i don't understand is that the view counter will go up yet no body says anything. Is it if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything or just lookers with no interest in interaction?
Old 01-30-2024, 07:40 AM   #8

I love this forum. It's one if not the best when it comes to the 986.

Problem is indeed that it's just a marketing platform for Pelican parts.

Technically i wouldn't have a problem setting up and run a new 986 forum with modern software. But what about the old content and would it be used by people.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:01 AM   #9

Honestly they should move this over to their main forum and reduce their support overhead. Love the historical info here but I find myself spending more time over at Rennlist as it is more active. Also, while I can post via my laptop, my phone gives me too many warnings and won't let me sign in - limiting my ability to post.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Don't judge from the dead of winter when many cars are put away for the winter and people have other priorities. Wait till spring and all that deferred maintenance brings people out.

mike, i'd tend to agree with you in that the site definitely ebbs and flows with when people are most-enjoying their cars, but you can just go back and see that the view-to-reply totals just don't support that. It's been dead here (and I hate to say it) ever since Pelican took it over.

I agree with a lot of the other posters' feedback as well (posting attachments/images is reminiscent of 2003 for example...). "HACKER SAFE" when they don't even have an SSL certificate set up. Just little things that all add up to a "we don't really care about the forum" vibe, and I think folks have unfortunately moved on because of it.
Old 01-30-2024, 02:26 PM   #11

Guys, the youngest 986 (2004) is now more than 19 years old; many of the 986's are now long gone, either in the boneyard or converted to track only use. You need to expect the amount of "daily driver" traffic to slack off somewhat.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:16 PM   #12

JFP, I agree, but again I tried to head off that specific “excuse” (no offense intended) in the original post. That’s basically saying, “well the car is old now so a forum can’t be active anymore”, which just isn’t the case compared to other forums I frequent. Hell even Rennlist’s Boxster forums are more active. I don’t even think we’re getting track folks or daily drivers through here any more.

Ironically this has been the most active thread recently. That’s kinda sad.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:54 PM   #13
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I’ll try to look at threads, but generally won’t post if I don’t have something substantial or useful to say.

I was hoping that my recent spare tire thread may be useful to others. Maybe it will.

We need active moderators over here.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 05:10 AM   #14
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Moderators? Pffffft.

SSL Cert? Who really cares?

This isn't a political forum. Mods are unnecessary. I certainly don't want someone holding my hand, or telling what I can and cannot post upon these pages. We're all big boys, and girls. Yes, just the two.

The forum may point you to links to purchase items. Otherwise, who is really sharing information that might compromise their financial security? Don't be an idiot about it and you'll be fine.

Both are about as ridiculous as covering your license plate when posting pics. lol.

Scammers? Learn to recognize them. It's not rocket surgery.

I do agree that posting pictures is a pain in the ass.

Rennlist? Whatever.

Have a great day, people.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:48 AM   #15
2002 Boxster S

I for one have found this forum very useful and the members always willing to help.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:17 AM   #16
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
A few comments...
Many automotive forums have been declining in recent years, not just this one. Facebook and YouTube have taken some of the traffic, but they really don't substitute what the forum format can provide.

The historic record of knowledge and experience on this forum is priceless to someone looking to do major maintenance or repairs to a 986. Probably all significant issues have been addressed many times over, but fresh experience and follow-ups are always useful.

Quote:
What i don't understand is that the view counter will go up yet no body says anything. Is it if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything or just lookers with no interest in interaction?
I suspect that many of us often read threads without commenting. I enjoy following along with the modifications and builds that people do, but without anything constructive to add I'd rather not clutter them up with superfluous comments. It would be nice if there was a simple 'thumbs up' or like function.

We don't need a lot of real moderation, but getting some response when scammers are reported would be nice. Scammers and AI bots are all over the internet. It would be nice if the accounts here could be deleted once they are identified.

Personally my biggest problem is the limited 'mailbox' size. Having been on the forum for a few years, selling stuff and helping out with specific problems, my mailbox is always near full and I like to keep many of the old messages for reference and memories of those no longer with us. The limit is 300 messages counting sent and inbox. That's not a lot after ten years on the forum. 1000 would be nice and I expect that the memory required to support that would be trivial these days.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
JFP, I agree, but again I tried to head off that specific “excuse” (no offense intended) in the original post. That’s basically saying, “well the car is old now so a forum can’t be active anymore”, which just isn’t the case compared to other forums I frequent. Hell even Rennlist’s Boxster forums are more active. I don’t even think we’re getting track folks or daily drivers through here any more.

Ironically this has been the most active thread recently. That’s kinda sad.
Two points: Age does matter, as does even dull things like the season.

I used to have a tech that has a 2004 Sentra SER Spec V that he bought new and kept in immaculate condition. This model, Nissan designation B15, is long discontinued, and even the base model (Sentra) is also long dead. There used to be several B15 dedicated tech websites, or Sentra sites with a B15 section, but now there appears to be only one, and that one gets new post only every once in a while, usually by someone looking for discontinued parts.

Other Boxster only websites, like Pedro's for example, sometimes go days or even a week or more before someone posts asking for a source for a specific light bulb. But when the weather warms up, suddenly there are more participants as the cars come out of hibernation, so there is definitely a seasonal response in how active the site is. Other, broader Porsche sites, like RennTech, Rennlist, etc. draw on a broader model base then just the 986, and even they have fewer 986 specific posters.

Lastly, the owners of this site do not really give a damn about its operation, they only care about selling you something. It was bad enough when Wayne had it, it has gone downhill since he sold it.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:45 PM   #18
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Moderators? Pffffft.

This isn't a political forum. Mods are unnecessary. I certainly don't want someone holding my hand, or telling what I can and cannot post upon these pages. We're all big boys, and girls. Yes, just the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
We don't need a lot of real moderation, but getting some response when scammers are reported would be nice. Scammers and AI bots are all over the internet. It would be nice if the accounts here could be deleted once they are identified.
I should have been more specific with my comment. Moderators/admins only to clean up the bots and spam when it crops up, otherwise I don't see a need as people generally handle discussions amongst themselves.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:04 AM   #19
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
I should have been more specific with my comment. Moderators/admins only to clean up the bots and spam when it crops up, otherwise I don't see a need as people generally handle discussions amongst themselves.
I hear you.

I'd rather save my pre-5AM smart ass comments for our regular visitors than waste it on some AI bot that doesn't know its own pronoun and likely couldn't appreciate my sarcasm.

Last edited by Starter986; 02-01-2024 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Always asking for a reason, lol.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 07:31 AM   #20

I rarely reply because I’m never logged in. I read daily on my phone but when I log in it inverts the thread order and makes it a pain to read.
Another lively section on Pelican is the 944 forum and those are old cars too. In a way, the 986 is what the 944 was 20 years ago in terms of price, availability and style. Timing belt - IMS
I wish more Spec Boxster people would post their setup tricks and race stories.

986tate is offline   Reply With Quote