Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #1

Smile Warranty Direct Experience

Just thought I'd post my recent experience with Warranty Direct.

Recently, I had an oil leak on the 4-6 Cam Covers. I took it to my local Porsche dealership for service. My service advisor placed a call to WD, got an authorization number immediately, and WD paid the dealership, as promised. The work came out to about $1,000 for parts and labor and WD covered the work. In fact, the warranty has almost already paid for itself.

Highly recommend WD. Hassle free and they paid, as promised.

USA

:troll:
dharrisonwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:34 PM   #2

Great to hear and thanks for sharing.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:11 PM   #3

I'm teetering on this fence about this one. I and the previous owner have had the car for 35K miles and only one non-maintenance repair (throttle body). I guess I put between 10-12K miles on the car a year driving weekends. WD wants $3600 for three years of coverage with a thousand smackers up front and ther remainder over 10 months. Seems steep to me considering how trouble free the car has been. I figure if I had one $1000 repair every year I would be very surprised. I'm also thinking about a 2nd hand CaymanS or 02-04 C4S once the Boxster hits 50K miles (if I can find any Sivler and red ones!)

I guess its like catastrophic engine rebuilding/replacing insurance...hmm.
I also have budget into the equation new rotors and all the other maintenace that will come in the next 20K miles. I'm guessing I'll end up spending far more on maintenance than unexpected repairs. Figure $6K for both the WD policy and a maintance budget over the next two years on a car that is not worth more than $25-27K, makes me think twice about WD.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-30-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I'm teetering on this fence about this one. I and the previous owner have had the car for 35K miles and only one non-maintenance repair (throttle body). I guess I put between 10-12K miles on the car a year driving weekends. WD wants $3600 for three years of coverage with a thousand smackers up front and ther remainder over 10 months. Seems steep to me considering how trouble free the car has been. I figure if I had one $1000 repair every year I would be very surprised. I'm also thinking about a 2nd hand CaymanS or 02-04 C4S once the Boxster hits 50K miles (if I can find any Sivler and red ones!)

I guess its like catastrophic engine rebuilding/replacing insurance...hmm.
I also have budget into the equation new rotors and all the other maintenace that will come in the next 20K miles. I'm guessing I'll end up spending far more on maintenance than unexpected repairs. Figure $6K for both the WD policy and a maintance budget over the next two years on a car that is not worth more than $25-27K, makes me think twice about WD.
PL, yes, $3.6k puts it smack in that middle zone where it's not easy to decide. I'd say bite the bullet and ride shot-gun without warranty. If the engine implodes, invest in a 3.8L crate engine drop and you got yourself a "mid-engine C4S" for less and in the color combo you know you like.

Z.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:49 PM   #5

I got the insurance to cover the major ticket items, such as engine and rms issues. It'll be a lot cheaper if you just get the major item coverage like me.
USA

Old 11-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
kls

I am facing the same issues. I bought an 04 with 23K on it, and I have warranty until 9/07, then I have to decide about the extended warranty. I bought the car from a lady who's husband had died. Everything seemed fine, and probably still is, but I found out after buying it that the engine had been replaced at 9,500. I suppose I should be comforted to know that it has less miles on it than the odometer indicates.

My concern with the extended warranties is that they have to make a profit - and if they are regularly paying out more than they are charging - they won't be in business. So we know that if they charge $3,600 for 3 years, the average payout is somewhat south of that, and maybe significantly. There are going to be people who save a lot of money by buying the warranty, but the avergage guy will lose. It is simply peace of mind we're buying, and I'm not sure how much that's worth to me.
kls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:00 PM   #7

no my Boxster has been out of warranty for 2 years now so it changes the quotes substantially. I inquired when it was less than six months out of the factory warranty and WD said no coverage for you. A good thing looking back as I haven't spent anything on repairs in these past two years.

The difference between the Major Care policy and Total Care policy isn't that great a price difference (under a thousand). Both are expensive IMO. If I'm going to do it I'll go for all fixings and bring the Boxster to the dealer and dare them to find something wrong on every rainy day when I'm sitting home doing nothing. For $100 deductible why not?

p.s.
I think 3.4 is as big as I can go with the 00' electronics without incurring a big(er) expense. I know RUF will not do their 3.6 or 3.8 conversion on Boxsters before 2003. And I'm not really impressed by the thought of 3.8 in a Boxster. You'd have to go north of 400HP to really get me to think it would be a dramatic difference.
Look at the 0-60 times and N-Ring times of a 3.2 Boxster and 3.8 Carrera, its not really night and day. Put in a GT3 true dry sump and then you'll see something worth talking about. Car is fine as is, quick enough for me to beat or match standard $70+K Carreras on Autocross lap times.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-30-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #8

In assessing the amount of profits the insurance company will or will not make off a particular policy, you have to remember, that if the insurance company loses on your car (i.e., paying out more than they receive from you), they will be recouping this on other policies where there are no claims. So, the company still makes money.

I wouldn't worry about whether the insurance co. wins or loses. It's like the blackjack dealers in Vegas - - the house always wins in the long run. Otherwise, they would be out of business.

At the end of the day, how much is peace of mind worth to you?
USA

Old 11-30-2006, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
PL, yes, $3.6k puts it smack in that middle zone where it's not easy to decide. I'd say bite the bullet and ride shot-gun without warranty. If the engine implodes, invest in a 3.8L crate engine drop and you got yourself a "mid-engine C4S" for less and in the color combo you know you like.

Z.
Hi,

I agree, that's a lot of $$ to cover stuff which should last longer than a few years. BTW, that'd be a C2S for the crate engine - no 4-wheel drive on the Boxster...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote