Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2006, 07:55 AM   #1

just bought a boxster

Hey, I have been searching for a general porsche forum and couldn't find one, so I searched for a boxster forum and what do you know...how about the irony...

I just bought a 2006 new boxster yesterday. Black with full tan leather interior. I love it. I already have 120 miles on it.

Anyways I joined cause I have a couple questions and I want to learn from other boxster owners. This is my first porsche but I don't think it will be my last. I'm used to BMWs.

PS: I'm not just gonna ask my questions and leave

Question#1: The dealer says you need 800 break-in miles and during that time you can't go over 4-5k rpm or go over 75mph. This seems like a small amt of miles, does anyone have any personal insight to what would be a good break-in period? All my other cars were 1200 miles at least.

Question#2, might as well ask: I am having a hard time finding aftermarket parts for porsches and boxsters in particular. Does anyone know any good sites or places with a good variety of porsche things?

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by Bavarian Motorist; 11-29-2006 at 07:58 AM.
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
bmussatti

Welcome! Santa came early!

Please make sure you follow the 2,000 mile break-in to the tee!

(I still believe!)
Old 11-29-2006, 08:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Welcome! Santa came early!

Please make sure you follow the 2,000 mile break-in to the tee!

(I still believe!)
Wow. The dealer said 800. What are the potential damages that can be caused by not properly breaking in?

Old 11-29-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Hey, I have been searching for a general porsche forum and couldn't find one, so I searched for a boxster forum and what do you know...how about the irony...

I just bought a 2006 new boxster yesterday. Black with full tan leather interior. I love it. I already have 120 miles on it.

Anyways I joined cause I have a couple questions and I want to learn from other boxster owners. This is my first porsche but I don't think it will be my last. I'm used to BMWs.

PS: I'm not just gonna ask my questions and leave

Question#1: The dealer says you need 800 break-in miles and during that time you can't go over 4-5k rpm or go over 75mph. This seems like a small amt of miles, does anyone have any personal insight to what would be a good break-in period? All my other cars were 1200 miles at least.

Question#2, might as well ask: I am having a hard time finding aftermarket parts for porsches and boxsters in particular. Does anyone know any good sites or places with a good variety of porsche things?

Thanks, Mike

Mike, the dealer is very-very wrong about his break-in recommendations. Just read your manual. It is very clear. 1,800-2,000 miles. RPM's under 4,200. Don't lug engine. Longer trips are better. On long trips, don't stay in the same gear the whole time, down shift and then run back up to 5th or 6th.

I would also recommend an oil change at 1,000 miles or after the break-in period. Not required, just prudent and worth the $110-$250.

What kind of aftermarket parts do you want? Car is still pretty new, so only a few items are available. Try our sponsors or the likes of www.suncoastporsche.com or the Tequipment section over at the Porsche web-site here:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/personalisation/tequipment/n38/
Old 11-29-2006, 08:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Mike, the dealer is very-very wrong about his break-in recommendations. Just read your manual. It is very clear. 1,800-2,000 miles. RPM's under 4,200. Don't lug engine. Longer trips are better. On long trips, don't stay in the same gear the whole time, down shift and then run back up to 5th or 6th.

I would also recommend an oil change at 1,000 miles or after the break-in period. Not required, just prudent and worth the $110-$250.

What kind of aftermarket parts do you want? Car is still pretty new, so only a few items are available. Try our sponsors or the likes of www.suncoastporsche.com or the Tequipment section over at the Porsche web-site here:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/personalisation/tequipment/n38/
WOW! Thanks for telling me! I would have been screwed at the rate I was going.

And as for aftermarket, I'm not looking for anything until my break-in period ends, but this is my daily commuter and I drive a lot so I expect it to be soon. I'm not even sure what I could do. Seems like all the parts this car has are top of the line, but I'm looking to increase engine power. I know that's a typical desire but this is a sports car, not to mention my only car, so I guess I don't blame myself.

Oh yeah, and I don't want any forced induction.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
bmussatti

Quote:
WOW! Thanks for telling me! I would have been screwed at the rate I was going.

And as for aftermarket, I'm not looking for anything until my break-in period ends, but this is my daily commuter and I drive a lot so I expect it to be soon. I'm not even sure what I could do. Seems like all the parts this car has are top of the line, but I'm looking to increase engine power. I know that's a typical desire but this is a sports car, not to mention my only car, so I guess I don't blame myself.

Oh yeah, and I don't want any forced induction.

Did you buy the "S"? If you want more power, that would have been the better purchase. Adding HP's to these cars costs BIG $$$$$!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Did you buy the "S"? If you want more power, that would have been the better purchase. Adding HP's to these cars costs BIG $$$$$!
Haha! I wish I bought the S! I don't think they had any 06s. I got a really good deal on this one cause it was an 06.

Anyways the money is fine...I knew that before I made the decision. I'm stuck with it for a couple years at least, so I might as well enjoy it the best I can.

Is an S catback compatible with a regular boxster? The one on the porscheusa link yo gave me seems to be a boxster S tailpipe.

Btw I really appreciate your help. I know I'm asking a lot but my dealer wasn't that helpful.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:22 AM   #8

did you say Black?
http://www.techart.de/homee_gesamt.htm
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:24 AM   #9
bmussatti

Quote:
Haha! I wish I bought the S! I don't think they had any 06s. I got a really good deal on this one cause it was an 06.

Anyways the money is fine...I knew that before I made the decision. I'm stuck with it for a couple years at least, so I might as well enjoy it the best I can.

Is an S catback compatible with a regular boxster? The one on the porscheusa link yo gave me seems to be a boxster S tailpipe.

Btw I really appreciate your help. I know I'm asking a lot but my dealer wasn't that helpful.

Are you talking about this??:

If so, all this is really is an exhause tip, and yes, it will fit on your car too for about $340.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Lovely. Makes me wanna go drive her right now.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Are you talking about this??:

If so, all this is really is an exhause tip, and yes, it will fit on your car too for about $340.
I thought I found a site that sells S catbacks, (not just the tip). But I just checked and this site is just the tip too.

Blah, sorry.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:29 AM   #12
bmussatti

You can buy the tip here:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=98711125401&Category_Code=987ext
Old 11-29-2006, 08:31 AM   #13
bmussatti

Clear side markers will add about 2-3 HP!!

And, removal of the airbag stickers adds yet another 2-3 HP's!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Clear side markers will add about 2-3 HP!!

And, removal of the airbag stickers adds yet another 2-3 HP's!
How much hp do racing stripes add?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:36 AM   #15
bmussatti

Quote:
How much hp do racing stripes add?
Minus 10!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:46 AM   #16

Out of curiosity, is there any forced induction available for boxsters? I feel like I am going to have to get customized products if I want anything. (I don't want forced induction really, I just want something )
Old 11-29-2006, 08:59 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
wait for your break in period ends....drive it for a while, trust me theres a lot that this car offeres that evn we cant get out of it, but adding HP to these cars is so messes up, few grand for few hp thats what it comes down to.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:11 AM   #18

Hi,

Another newbie ...just bought a Boxster, where I can I get this Go-Fast part or that? thread... yawn...

Well, first, break the car in, give it and you a Shakedown Cruise. Next, be sure that you're not interferring with the Warranty by adding non-authorized parts and Mods. Then, do your research, there's lots of information to gather before you start throwing money at the Aftermarket. Finally, before anything else, spend some time and $$ on a proper Driving Course so you can use the performance the car already has to it's fullest - best MOD available!

If, after all this you still feel the need to make changes, at least you'll know what you're doing and won't waste time and $$ or hurt the Car. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:35 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Another newbie ...just bought a Boxster, where I can I get this Go-Fast part or that? thread... yawn...

Dont mean any disrespect but your being a jerk. I know you gave good advice below that comment but next time, maybe the advice is all you should offer rather than that ^^^.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Dont mean any disrespect but your being a jerk. I know you gave good advice below that comment but next time, maybe the advice is all you should offer rather than that ^^^.

Hi,

Sorry, I don't see it that way at all...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote