View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Hey, I have been searching for a general porsche forum and couldn't find one, so I searched for a boxster forum and what do you know...how about the irony...

I just bought a 2006 new boxster yesterday. Black with full tan leather interior. I love it. I already have 120 miles on it.

Anyways I joined cause I have a couple questions and I want to learn from other boxster owners. This is my first porsche but I don't think it will be my last. I'm used to BMWs.

PS: I'm not just gonna ask my questions and leave

Question#1: The dealer says you need 800 break-in miles and during that time you can't go over 4-5k rpm or go over 75mph. This seems like a small amt of miles, does anyone have any personal insight to what would be a good break-in period? All my other cars were 1200 miles at least.

Question#2, might as well ask: I am having a hard time finding aftermarket parts for porsches and boxsters in particular. Does anyone know any good sites or places with a good variety of porsche things?

Thanks, Mike

Mike, the dealer is very-very wrong about his break-in recommendations. Just read your manual. It is very clear. 1,800-2,000 miles. RPM's under 4,200. Don't lug engine. Longer trips are better. On long trips, don't stay in the same gear the whole time, down shift and then run back up to 5th or 6th.

I would also recommend an oil change at 1,000 miles or after the break-in period. Not required, just prudent and worth the $110-$250.

What kind of aftermarket parts do you want? Car is still pretty new, so only a few items are available. Try our sponsors or the likes of www.suncoastporsche.com or the Tequipment section over at the Porsche web-site here:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/personalisation/tequipment/n38/