Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2006, 04:22 AM   #41
bmussatti

Hey Mike:

The best money you can spend now is by joining the Porsche Club of America (www.pca.org) and getting active with your local region's events.

Your new car has a lot of "un-tapped" potential, that once is "harvested" you will have plenty of HP's to make you very happy.

Your local region will have some great driving events (AutoCross and DE's).

Ask "Santa" for a Snell 2005 (or better) helmet for Christmas and get ready to drive the wheels off your Boxster come Spring 2007!

This is really the best advice given by several of the members on this posting. It is not a slam against you (I need to do this too...and will...Sammy and NickCats keep asking me too!!) so don't take it too personally. You are a good driver, and can get better. You have an awesome car, and the 2 of you need to work and improve together. You have a new relationship now.

This is a great Forum and you will learn a ton. Come everyday and read all that you can. Contribute back too...and I know you will.

You might have had a bumpy start with this first post, so don't be discouraged. And I can assure you, in the future, MNBoxster (Jim) will give you great advice and teach you a new thing or 2!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:20 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
I don't want S power. If I was gonna buy an S I would have gotten an 07 anyways. I just want some added power. That's why I think an obd chip would be worthwhile.

Like I said as well, you aren't factoring insurance into this either.

It's easier for me to scrape together a few hundred bucks here and there than to be obligated to a 150-200 more a month. I own a business and I'm not always certain how much I am going to be raking in. I'm just playing it safe I guess.
If you are wanting to reprogram your ECM take a look at www.revotechnik.com or www.giacusa.com.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:07 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
If you are wanting to reprogram your ECM take a look at www.revotechnik.com or www.giacusa.com.
Hi,

I think the GIA chip Flash is more common and better tested of the two. But, it's a Slippery Slope, because to get the most out of the Flash, you need to address the Intake and Exhaust, probably $3-$4k for 3-8HP - spendy...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:39 AM   #44

Bavarian:

I think with the engine improvements made in the 987 (05-7) Porsche has pretty much worked all the juice that can be gotten out of the naturally aspirated 2.7. Here's a thread on chipping the 987S with the only poster I've ever heard of who chipped a 987, and he seems less than impressed with the result.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=289677&highlight=chip

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:30 PM   #45

Thanks for the replies. everyone.

I didn't know what PCA was. I was reading some reviews on edmunds.com and someone mentioned it, thought it was a racing club or auto-x club.

I will take some time to get used to my car and in the future if I really feel like I need some power, I'll worry about it then.

I think most of you are correct in that I am getting ahead of myself here.
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #46
Track rat

Garage
Bavarian,

Ignore all the current horsepower hype that says you must buy this and that in order to be cool, go fast etc. Most of those things will do little more than lighten your wallet. Those engineers in Stuttgart already did high performance DME mapping and tuning for you. As you may have already figured out... It ain't no Honda Civic.

Sure you could probably eek out another 5hp by remapping with a higher rev limit and advanced ign. timing but do you really want to ??? It just brings your motor that much closer to KA-BOOM. I am pretty sure that is not what you are looking for. Porsche motors are expensive.

Take comfort in the fact that you now own a high performance German sportscar that very few drivers have the skills needed to really take it to the max. (Schoemacher excluded). Enjoy the ride.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:01 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Bavarian,

Ignore all the current horsepower hype that says you must buy this and that in order to be cool, go fast etc. Most of those things will do little more than lighten your wallet. Those engineers in Stuttgart already did high performance DME mapping and tuning for you. As you may have already figured out... It ain't no Honda Civic.

Sure you could probably eek out another 5hp by remapping with a higher rev limit and advanced ign. timing but do you really want to ??? It just brings your motor that much closer to KA-BOOM. I am pretty sure that is not what you are looking for. Porsche motors are expensive.

Take comfort in the fact that you now own a high performance German sportscar that very few drivers have the skills needed to really take it to the max. (Schoemacher excluded). Enjoy the ride.
I think that when it's finally broken in properly and I can drive it how I want to, this won't even cross my mind again. It's just a desire for that thing I can't yet have and it's hard to be patient, so I am thinking about things such as performance modifications in order to redirect my thoughts...perhaps. I don't know, but I'm sure it will pass.
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:18 PM   #48

Bavarian, I don't know how you've driven your boxster since bought it but, if you abided by the break-in rules you haven't even tapped into the power of engine. On top of that you have a brand new Porsche with a warranty and any mod that adds noticable power to the car is going to void the warranty. Do you really want to void that warranty?

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote