Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2022, 02:33 AM   #41
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Wife gets insurance policy documents in the mail... reviews... and tells me, "The credit union doesn't own the Edge anymore, Have the insurance company correct it. It's paid off."

I give the document a quick once-over... see the error... and make a mental note. However, before leaving the document I look into the coverage area and, voila, it appears the Boxster HAS been covered. Comp and collision.

Give my broker a call... Yup. Covered. Also, rental car coverage.

The $1,000 I was prepared to pay out of pocket has been reduced to a $500 deductible ($250 deductible for comprehensive). Insurance agent classified it as collision because, "... moving object on the ground".

Appraiser comes out Tuesday to give it the once over... and the shop will take over from there. For the original $1,000 it just included the quarter repair. I was going to rub off/out the corner of the bumper cover and source a gently used tail light. For $500 I'll jus get everything fixed the right way.

I'm thinking within the next few weeks it'll go into the shop. I'll apprise.

Good morning.

Old 05-21-2022, 03:30 AM   #42
Seal1968

That is a good morning.

Glad this will soon be back to "new". While you're in there, see if they can do a paint correction and polish for extra cash. When my Audi was repaired the body shop did this for me for $600, including repainting the trunk lid. Good luck sir!
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:13 AM   #43

That is a nice surprise, congratulations!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:26 AM   #44

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
That is a nice surprise, congratulations!
Definitely! Have a great weekend
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:30 AM   #45

Congrats on that.

But let us also see the results. I'm very interested in how the repair will be done and how the result will look like.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:59 AM   #46

Garage
If you do end up needing a new taillight, I have a great condition pair off my 2000 986S. I no longer have the car. I had swapped them for clear tails, the ones I have are factory with the amber. Happy to sell them to you at a good price if you end up in need of new ones. Sorry to hear about the hit and run but glad you are getting it sorted
Goldenzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:48 AM   #47

Can't wait to see pictures of the final job....and to learn what method they eventually used (pulling or welding).
Old 05-23-2022, 11:00 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
Can't wait to see pictures of the final job....and to learn what method they eventually used (pulling or welding).
The method used is going to be very dependent on the type of repair shop he takes it to.
Also on how much money he is willing to spend.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:11 PM   #49
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Appraiser comes out tomorrow to give the car an inspection and quote, then I'll run over to the body shop and schedule the work.

The body shop guy said if it can't be pulled/pushed/whatever then it may require a replacement panel. They're also going to shoot the corner of the bumper cover, blend, and shoot a coat of clear on the entire bumper.

I, too, am looking forward to seeing how it comes out. As I am color blind I'll bring my wife or someone else so they can assess if the blending is kosher, if you know what I mean.

Cheers!
Old 05-23-2022, 02:24 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Appraiser comes out tomorrow to give the car an inspection and quote, then I'll run over to the body shop and schedule the work.

The body shop guy said if it can't be pulled/pushed/whatever then it may require a replacement panel. They're also going to shoot the corner of the bumper cover, blend, and shoot a coat of clear on the entire bumper.

I, too, am looking forward to seeing how it comes out. As I am color blind I'll bring my wife or someone else so they can assess if the blending is kosher, if you know what I mean.

Cheers!
Access to the damage from behind is always a controlling factor.
If you can't gain access to the backside then replacement is the way to go.
Other wise they will pull the lows and knock down the highs and level and shape with bondo and paint it.

If they have free access to the panel from front and rear then it is no problem.
But I think that is a double walled panel that is why I suggested a good PDR tech. in an earlier post. Many times a PDR tech. can work his magic with limited access.
You don't always have to go for a paintless repair with PDR that gives the PDR tech. more latitude to do his job. They can do it faster and better if your willing to have the repair repainted.
But looking forward to hearing what you experience is and seeing a good repair on your car.

Last edited by blue62; 05-24-2022 at 06:06 AM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:56 AM   #51
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Car goes into the shop Tuesday.

Shop will remove a foot long scratch passenger QP, and paint my aftermarket wing (black in certain of photos I've posted) and the rear diffusers. They'll color match the car. Gratis.

Because I'm not entirely confident with strangers removing stuff from my car... in an effort to make access easier for removal of the rear bumper cover... I removed the rear spoiler (to access the top three cover screws). While trying to pry off the cover... a piece broke on it. Arghhhhhh. The piece slips right into place... but the line. I suppose I could super glue the piece... and blend in some touch up paint. I don't think that would work out, aesthetically. So...

I'm looking for an Arctic Silver spoiler cover, with shipping to 92284. Please, reach out if you have one.

Because I'm abandoning the black wing and diffusers, and having them color matched to the car... I'm leaning towards keeping the spoiler silver. However...

What is the thought of a spoiler cover that closely matches the interior? Mine is red. Do we think a red spoiler cover would work? My side vents are black. My wheels are black. The top is black. Red or black. What's the concensus?

Again, if you've a spoiler cover...

Thank you.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:45 AM   #52
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Black or silver, not red.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:30 AM   #53
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It has a few small scratches, but So Does Your Car.... Want it? Tell me where to ship it and send me all your monies.
Just make sure you send more than shipping cost, but less than eBay wants: paypal.me/JonCarparts

I can probably find a black one somewhere, but I think silver is best.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:06 PM   #54
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
It has a few small scratches, but So Does Your Car.... Want it? Tell me where to ship it and send me all your monies.
Just make sure you send more than shipping cost, but less than eBay wants: paypal.me/JonCarparts

I can probably find a black one somewhere, but I think silver is best.
PMd you. Thank you.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:52 AM   #55
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Picked up the car yesterday. Driving into the lot I noticed a slight gap where the point of the rear bumper cover meets with the QP. Not happy. Shop noted upon the receipt that I would return to have that repaired. Bumper cover off... shouldn't take a few minutes.

This morning when I washed the car I noticed a paint anomaly under the driver side mirror. Missed by a neophyte, not me.

Car was returned to me unwashed, and with compound (white) spots all over. It washed off but, when I lifted the clamshell to remove the white from the edges... there's about 1 foot of overspray on the rubber seal. Wasn't coming off with a fingernail and, at that point, I was getting frustrated. I want a new seal.

Decided to stop, and will give the car a full detail tomorrow morning... noting all the anomalies... presenting it to my insurance agent/broker. I'm wanting the car properly repaired and delivered in the same condition it was delivered... minus the damage.

Anyone have any recommendations on how I should navigate this process? It's been a while for me. I mean... I know what I'm going to do... but any advice greatly would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:16 AM   #56

I would go back to the shop and tell them to fix it
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:25 PM   #57
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
I would go back to the shop and tell them to fix it
I considered that. However, I've lost confidence in them.

Before bringing them the car I removed the rear spolier... so easier they could access the three top screws for the bumper cover. (Plus, I just wanted to mitigate them ****************ing anything up... in spite of their Yelp reviews.)

I removed the two rear difusers... so easier they could remove the bumper cover.

I removed the driver's side intake vent... leaqving pressed against the hole the wire mesh/gutter guard cutout... so they wouldn't drop the vent (it's gloss black). When I picked up the car... it was gone,. "Wasn't there when you dropped it off". **************** me. It was. I left it in specifically.

When I picked it up, the first time... Monday... there were a couple of obvious patches of 'something' on the rear decklid. "That was there when you brought it i9n, I have pictures". **************** your pictures, I know my car.

They replaced the tail light. Monday, when they were backing it up... no reverse lights either side. When I picked it up yesterday one of the guys told me it was a bulb. ****************ers. One bulb isn't taking out both sides.

They left compound that, likely, was on their hands, on the inside of the car. I vacummed. No biggy, but ****************ing details.

The trunk. Compound bits and pieces. They didn't put the fabric flap back on the light housing.

That irregular gap. Details.

I emailed my agent... he's going to talk to the insurance company. I'll insist, and be persistent, that the car go back to the shop. NOT THE SAME SHOP. Further, I'm going to take it to a Porsche recommended shop.

I don't expect the car to emerge perfect. The paint is 25 years old. It's got a couple of dings... some light swirls here and there. However, I want to look at my car the same way I did before the **************************** backed into me.

Rant over. Thank you.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:51 AM   #58
Seal1968

Sorry to hear...the guys at that shop are hacks.

I'd be letting the F-bombs FLY...good on you to be restrained and call your agent.

Geez. Good luck sir.

Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote