Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2022, 02:44 PM   #1

Koni vs. Bilstein vs. ?

I have a 97 Boxster with a tip. Car is mostly driven by my daughter. Shocks are toast, so I am looking at replacements. Koni active reds are about the same price as Bilstein OE replacements. Anyone have experience with the Konis, or any other aftermarket options that are less expensive? I've had PSS9's on my 996 for years and I love them, but the Boxster is really a beach car, so looking for an inexpensive setup that will make the car a bit more fun to drive. Thanks

geshaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:03 AM   #2

A handful of us here on the forum have been on the uptick of getting the Koni Special Active. Some of the guys here even take the car to the track with it (steved0x is one of them) as do I. In my previous discussion with the Koni technical rep, the Special Active is one of the top sellers mainly to the 993 and 964 crowd.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Koni Special Active. I run them on H&R lowering springs and steved0x runs them on Eibach lowering springs. I did at one point run them on the factory springs and they were excellent. I hope that they will chime in and offer their input. The Bilsteins OEs are good too and often appeal to the purists.

If you are patient, Koni will have their "Shock Sale" either annually or bi-annually so some savings can be had. While I am of the opinion that the term inexpensive varies from one person to another, you can consider coilovers that aren't of the mainstream variety. Some of the folks here love them but reviews are far from few. All the best!

Last edited by bcrdukes; 03-12-2022 at 10:05 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 01:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. Pelican suggested that there may be an Easter sale on the Konis, so I will wait. Any other input is appreciated, especially on the non-mainstream coilovers that are offered on evilbay, as I am nevertheless curious about these.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:27 PM   #4

I run them on the USA M030 springs from my original sport suspension (I did have an Eibach sway bar at one time). I love them :-)
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 03:29 PM   #5

I am actually taking my Boxster to Sebring at the end of April. It has been on street duty the last 3 years but going back to the track
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:44 PM   #6

Garage
I have both set ups. I have Koni Special Active with H&R Sport springs and I like them much better than the Bilstein B8`s with Eibach Pro-Kit springs. To me, the ride of the Special Active is much more smother over uneven pavement, and there's no body roll compared to the B8`s. Your alignment also has a bit to do with the handling.
Read up on both and see what you like or don`t like. Remember, your the one that has to make the final decision , GL.
Here`s some info on the Konis
https://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Technology/ACTIVE_Technology/
986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 02:14 PM   #7

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback
Old 03-14-2022, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986 Boxster View Post
That sounds really rad with the 2 frequencies. I wonder how they do that.
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 06:45 PM   #9

I run godspeed coilovers on mine for 2 years. No track duty but I really like them for spirited driving. Fully adjustable for ride height and stiffness. The whole set can be had for under $1k (or at least they were that price up until a year ago).

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2022, 10:01 PM   #10

Koni controls the rebound whereas Bilstein controls the compression. Thus Bilstein feels firmer than stock and Koni feels less jarring on rough roads.
moosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:13 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986tate View Post
That sounds really rad with the 2 frequencies. I wonder how they do that.
It beats me, but it sure works really good.
I have been a Bilstein guy all my life, and when I was looking for a new suspension for the Boxster I did I bit of research on both struts and I was really impressed with the Konis technology. They have changed a lot from the old days. I just hope that they last as long as the Bilsteins.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:08 AM   #12
1998 Boxster Owner

After some additional research, considering I have back issues I am going with Koni Active. Thanks for starting this thread.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:11 PM   #13
ISSIMI

Anyone know if the koni special active pairs well with vogtland springs (30mm drop)?

My concern is the shock might be underdamped causing bottoming out/tire scrubbing during hard cornering.
Most_Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 03:35 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Most_Wanted View Post
Anyone know if the koni special active pairs well with vogtland springs (30mm drop)?

My concern is the shock might be underdamped causing bottoming out/tire scrubbing during hard cornering.
If you're talking about the Vogtland sport springs, I don't know, the drop is almost the same as the H&R sport springs. Mine dosen't bottom out or scrub at all, and I'm running 25mm spacers at the front and 20mm rear. I did a couple of track days in 2020 and I had no problems with rubbing at all. Here's a couple of pictures so you have an idea of how low mine is.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:19 PM   #15

I'd likely run these with the existing stock springs, as we have a steep driveway and any lower will cause some challenges. Am I making a mistake to reuse the existing springs with 120000 miles?
Old 03-16-2022, 05:37 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geshaghi View Post
I'd likely run these with the existing stock springs, as we have a steep driveway and any lower will cause some challenges. Am I making a mistake to reuse the existing springs with 120000 miles?
You should be fine. The only time I replace the coil springs is if they are rusted or if a spring breaks. Springs usually last for the life of the car.
I have a set with approx. 75k miles that I took off the car that still look like brand new.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:19 AM   #17

Xã hội ?
cuala888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:38 AM   #18

986 Boxster, do you know what your ride height is at the factory measurement points?
I’m at 128mm F/R and pretty happy but there’s always a temptation to go lower.
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 02:43 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986tate View Post
986 Boxster, do you know what your ride height is at the factory measurement points?
I’m at 128mm F/R and pretty happy but there’s always a temptation to go lower.
No I don`t . I never measured it.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:21 AM   #20
FoFoJoe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986 Boxster View Post
If you're talking about the Vogtland sport springs, I don't know, the drop is almost the same as the H&R sport springs. Mine dosen't bottom out or scrub at all, and I'm running 25mm spacers at the front and 20mm rear. I did a couple of track days in 2020 and I had no problems with rubbing at all. Here's a couple of pictures so you have an idea of how low mine is.

Wow that fitment is perfect. Not too low, but the wheels fill out the wheelwells perfectly.

A+ set up.

- FunctionFirst shift knob/short shift kit
- Focal speakers/Alpine amp/Kenwood deck/Pioneer 8" subs
FoFoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilstein , koni , shocks , struts , suspension