Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: LN Spin On Filter Adapter Consensus
I did the upgrade and have had no issues 30 76.92%
I did the upgrade and have had issues 0 0%
I'm planning the upgrade, but haven't done it yet 1 2.56%
I'm considering it, but am concerned about losing the stock filter bypass 0 0%
The stock set-up is just fine 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2022, 06:48 AM   #1

LN Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter

Checking to see what the current consensus/situation is:

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:07 PM   #2

Garage
I have one, it's supposedly a better design that filters 100% of the oil and let's you use easy to spin on filters.
Only con is that it makes it harder to cut open the filter and check for metal debris.
CharlesE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:31 AM   #3

I have an LN spin on adaptor, but it's a different one since it's part of the LN IMS Solution and includes the oil line to the IMS journal bearing. Still no problems in almost 20,000 miles with it and many oil changes.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesE View Post
Only con is that it makes it harder to cut open the filter and check for metal debris.
Totally agree. Last time I tried using tin snips to cut off the ridge that holds the top to the rest of the filter and it seemed to work pretty well. And my hands are not strong.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:31 PM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
A quick Amazon search turns up several 'can opener' style cutters for metal oil canister filters. I did not see an offering from Pelican Parts.

https://www.amazon.com/JEGS-80532-Filter-Cutting-Tool/dp/B007VR8C0U/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Oil+Filter+Cutter&qid=1642886721&sr=8-6
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:52 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
My 986s have the stock oil filter housings. I replace them with a new one when I get a car and every couple years after. The housings are cheap and come with a new filter. I do have one spin on adapter that came with a car and I pulled it off because it was leaking. I intend to reinstall it correctly later.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:22 PM   #7

I had one on my CSS for many yrs. 2 yrs ago the gasket between the adaptor and the engine got old / brittle and was leaking oil. L&N sells a replacement gasket. But this was after 5-6 yrs of usage. Not a big deal.

You should defn consider a spin-on if you're going to do any track days. Any "agricultural driving" could result in a cracked / broken OEM canister.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
A quick Amazon search turns up several 'can opener' style cutters for metal oil canister filters. I did not see an offering from Pelican Parts.

https://www.amazon.com/JEGS-80532-Filter-Cutting-Tool/dp/B007VR8C0U/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Oil+Filter+Cutter&qid=1642886721&sr=8-6
Yeah, but those things are unnecessarily pricey. If you're a shop, or otherwise doing a lot of oil changes I could see making that investment. But everybody's got tin snips...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyta_Cjhej4
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:14 AM   #9

It never ceases to amaze me that people will spend $1K for a new cell phone, or car audio upgrade, but balk at spending $50 for a tool they will own forever, and one that could catch a developing problem that could end up costing them dozens of times that amount.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:38 AM   #10

Yeah but John, did you watch the video? (Just start at 2:00 if you want to skip all the extraneous lead-up BS)
The tin snips work just fine!
And I already have tin snips...why spend money on something that I clearly don't need?

(And by the way, I've got the same cell phone I've had for many, many years, and the audio system that was in the Boxster I bought in 2006 remains, unchanged. )
Old 01-23-2022, 12:10 PM   #11

I watched the video, and what is saw was metal butchery that took way more time than is required (the author sped up that sequence to hide that fact), and left the filter housing with a lot of edges to cut yourself on. The proper tool will open any filter as fast as a can opener opens a can of soup, with no jagged metal.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 01-23-2022 at 12:16 PM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:31 AM   #12

Acknowledging right up front we're hovering dangerously close to flogging-a-dead-horse territory, try this one on for size, starting at right around 0:38.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrH92W6ODy4

Mission completed in slightly over 30 seconds, no video speed-up required. Sure there's sharp edges involved, but we're all big boys (& girls) here—I think we can avoid serious injury. (The first guy did recommend leather gloves, admittedly probably not a bad idea. But we've all got them too!)

The snips seem to work, reasonably quickly, and bottom line (for many of us I suspect): there's quite a few other tools that I'd rather add to my arsenal (some recommended by you JFP!), each of which—to me—represents a better investment than a $50 can opener. If I needed to open an oil filter more than once or twice a year I might very well re-think this.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:18 AM   #13

Let's just say we agree to disagree.................
Old 01-24-2022, 08:44 AM   #14

Works for me!
Old 01-25-2022, 06:11 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Works for me!
Thanks for your suggestion you made me want to get a pair of tin snips.
CharlesE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesE View Post
Thanks for your suggestion you made me want to get a pair of tin snips.
The start of a movement??

Before anyone goes running down that pathway I should probably point out a couple things. One, a confession: I’ve never used the tin snip technique on an oil filter, so take my ‘recommendation’ (if that’s what it was) with a grain of salt. It looks pretty easy on the vids, and I have no reason to believe that’s due to any kind of video manipulation of reality (other than the speed-up effect that JFP referred to). Seeing them (the vids) has just encouraged me to give it a try next time I change my oil. If it’s a PITA to do or is otherwise not a useful technique, who knows? Maybe I’ll buy the fancy can opener.

Two, if I were 30 years younger I probably would do that right off the bat anyway. At this point in my life I've got many fewer oil changes left ahead of me. I just feel like I want to try the tin snips and continue go that route if it works as well as advertised on youtube.

Sicklerville eh? Another south Jersey boy. I’m originally from just down the road…Woodstown.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:01 AM   #17

Installed on the 986 and the 996. No Issues.

2ata is offline   Reply With Quote