Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2021, 10:56 AM   #1

Stereo/speaker experts - help me out please

A question for you audio guys...

Background: I'm changing/upgrading some interior pieces in one of my project cars. I'm upgrading the standard black trim to Metropol Blue wherever I can. The car has the factory CDR-220 and HAES dash and door speakers. I recently purchased (but have not yet installed) the rear speaker kit that installs in the rear storage box (Pioneer 3.5" 60W max 2-way speakers).

I was able to find a set of Bose dash speakers w/ blue covers. I popped the old HAES speakers out and the new Bose speakers in. My only goal was a color swap to the grills from black to blue, so I've done what I set out to do.

Now, I "think" I can hear a (slightly) better quality sound, but my 63 year old ears have been subject to jet engines and artillery fire for the past 36 years, so it could just be a placebo effect on my part.

I've now found a set of Bose door speakers.

So - my question with some caveats - I have zero desire to change out my factory CDR-220 radio, nor do I want to touch the existing factory amp or root around eBay for a bunch more Bose components to have a true Bose system.

Am I really getting a "better" quality sound out of just the Bose dash speakers with nothing else changed to the sound system?

Will I get any more "better" sound by replacing the HAES door speakers and installing the Bose door speakers?

By installing the rear speaker kit will I override/negate any of the potential upgrade in sound from the Bose door speakers?

The dash speaker swap was simple - two screws out, disconnect the HAES, connect the Bose, install the screws. Done. What's detailed in swapping the HAES door speakers w/ the Bose? Is it as simple a swap as the dash speakers, or will I be dealing with different sized units and mounting points?

I know there is more to the Bose system than just the speakers, but I've accomplished all I really wanted to do - blue dash speaker grills vs black. If there is an improvement in sound by installing the Bose door speakers, I'll do it, since I have to remove the door cards anyway. But if I have to monkey around with anything more than plug/play and I'm not improving the sound, I'll save my time and money for other things. And remember, I'll have the rear speaker kit in the mix as well.

So - TL/DR - will I get any amount of noticeable sound quality by replacing my HAES door speakers with BOSE speakers?

Thanks for your inputs!

Old 08-11-2021, 01:13 PM   #2

Lots of questions there, but your options will get limited if you dont want to replace the factory radio.

Dont have any experience with any of the Bose speakers other then replacing them. I dont know what the ohm rating is for the factory non bose. It could be 2ohm or 4ohm. If it is 4 ohm you will have problems. The Bose speakers are 2ohm. You need to match the ohm rating or risk blowing the amp and/or speakers.

If you really want better sound, ditch all of the factory speakers. You dont need to replace all the wiring for this.

Door speakers - These are subs, not 2 way speakers like the dash

rear speakers - standard is 2 3" 2 way speakers. Bose is 2" tweeter & 5 1/4" subs.

What would be better to ask yourself is, What is it you are really looking to accomplish and your end goal. From there you can determine what options you want to take. Send me a PM if you want.

I also have a way to install dash speakers in the factory location that doesn't require gluing & cutting. Have some options for the rear tray as well, again, depending on your goals.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:54 PM   #3
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Here is my final, working setup, which I'm more than happy with. The achieved goal was to have at least the quality of a VW/Audi SOUND PACKAGE:

Radio replacement: PIONEER SPH-BT20 DAB IOS single DIN 4x50 watts
FRONT speaker replacement: Infinity REF-4002CFX-2 4" 2-Way Reference X Series Coaxial Speakers
Door subs replacement: JBL GTO 6528 2-Way Coax Car Speakers (16,5 cm, 180 watts)
New active mini sub: Kenwood KSC-SW11 active subwoofer (150 watts)
Old 08-13-2021, 12:35 PM   #4
2002 Boxster S

This thread may help. I changed my front speakers as the originals were rotted out. Door subs looked in ok shape but I changed them anyway. Installing the rear speakers made the biggest difference in sound. I ordered the bluetooth adapter mentioned in the discussion and I love it. Now I'm not limited to radio and CDs. Check with STL-986 as I believe he states he has a self made setup that may be an alternative to the commercial solution.

Sound system for Porche Boxster 986 1997

Last edited by john12312; 08-13-2021 at 12:39 PM.
john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote