Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2021, 01:27 AM   #1

Sound system for Porche Boxster 986 1997

Hey there, i've been lookin into atleast upgrading my stereo for my Porcshe, there is already an amp installed in the front trunk. Do you think i need to upgrade my door and dash speakers aswell or will the sound be fine with a new stereo. Thanks for all replies.
-Petter

Petem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem View Post
Hey there, i've been lookin into atleast upgrading my stereo for my Porcshe, there is already an amp installed in the front trunk. Do you think i need to upgrade my door and dash speakers aswell or will the sound be fine with a new stereo. Thanks for all replies.

-Petter
I think it depends more on how you drive the car. If you do a lot of top-down driving, I would recommend getting the rear speaker aftermarket kit. That will help a lot more than upgrading the other speakers. If you do a lot of top up driving, though, it would probably be best to upgrade what's already there.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2021, 09:27 AM   #3

Quote:
-Petter
Aftermarket amp or the Porsche original factory amp?
I kept my original head unit. Installed a JL Audio Amp in the front trunk ad JL audio speakers.
ExplorerLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Owner

I added an aftermarket radio and utilize the existing AMP. Sounds great with new dash speakers but requires volume to be turned up high. Not sure if they ship worldwide but crutchfield makes/sells a plug and play wire harness for 986 Boxster.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
-Petter
I would pull out and look at your dash speakers to see if they are in good shape. Depending on the year; the foam surrounds disintegrate making them sound terrible. There are several tutorials for cutting up the existing speaker bracket to replace with aftermarket or another forum member sells adaptors that you can purchase and use.

The door speakers are actually subs if they are original (not very powerful), but they are less likely to disentegrate.
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM   #6
Shacky

I put an Alpine head unit in my '99. Checked dash speakers and they are good. Left door speakers and amp as is. Great to have CD that doesn't skip and BT and charging cable for phone.

Have to say sound is much better. I use bass boost and love it.
shacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM   #7

How much money do you have? your options range from $25 to $2000 or more. What are your expectations and what is your end goal, doing the work yourself or someone else doing it? Way to many options. Look through youtube there are many videos.

Tags
1997 , boxster , speakers , sterero