Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SRQ Florida
Posts: 37
Idiot runs into me at a Red light

Idiot in a Minivan yapping on the cell phone. He won't be eating turkey this thanksgiving when his insurance company gets the bill.
__________________
2002 Boxster S Artic Silver/Black 6Speed
jk0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 251
Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Sorry to hear that.

My wife got rear-ended a month or two ago by an SUV-driving soccer mom on her cell phone. The woman went crazy, swearing at the cops, her, and me. I actually ended up so entertained by the psycho woman that I wasn't even that mad about the damage. I just smiled as she got her ticket for following too closely.

Luckily, we were in the Accord and not the Boxster. The damage to the Accord was $750 for a new bumper cover and paint. In the Boxster, she would have slid up over the trunklid, and spent at least twice that!

Just make sure you take it to a good body shop -- ask your local Porsche dealer or PCA who they recommend.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SRQ Florida
Posts: 37
One thing for sure is it will be perfect when it is fixed. If he wants to do the crime he will do the time. His insurance company and I already had a nice long phone call discussing the issue.
__________________
2002 Boxster S Artic Silver/Black 6Speed
jk0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
blkboxster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk0001
Idiot in a Minivan yapping on the cell phone. He won't be eating turkey this thanksgiving when his insurance company gets the bill.
could we see a pic of the crash?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SRQ Florida
Posts: 37
When I get home from work, I'll try to take a photo. It does not look like much, but we know all hits are more that skin deep. A friend crashed his Enzo, when ferrari fixes a crash everything is done in 3's first they replace the bent piece, then the piece that it is conneted to, and then the next piece inline, just to preserve the structurial intergety. I'm sure that the repairs on my boxster will grow as the discovery goes on. I'm sure his rates will go up
__________________
2002 Boxster S Artic Silver/Black 6Speed
jk0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,510
Send a message via AIM to djomlas
wow. hopefully it all gets fixed.

ure not hurt are you?
__________________
http://i34.tinypic.com/157yslk.jpg
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." ~F. Porsche
Gemballa springs::litronics::Eurotech 18s(275/225)::B&M::MOMO wheel::
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Seattle is now home!
Posts: 398
Glad you are ok the car can always be fixed.
__________________
Everything is for sale

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SRQ Florida
Posts: 37
I'm ok, The idiot wanted to fight. I laughed at him and told him go back to his car and wait till the Police come. When the Patrolman arrived he talked to the idiot and I could tell by his face the idiot was trying to get his 5 minutes of fame. The patrolman was really cool and asked me if I wanted to have the idiot locked up. I told him that with the attitude that the idiot had he will be a active and repeat customer of the Grey bar Hotel. Finally they loaded up mister tuff guy in the patrol car and took him off to Gladitor School with the rest of the tuff guys.
__________________
2002 Boxster S Artic Silver/Black 6Speed
jk0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,510
Send a message via AIM to djomlas
well at least you still got ur sense of humor undamaged
__________________
http://i34.tinypic.com/157yslk.jpg
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." ~F. Porsche
Gemballa springs::litronics::Eurotech 18s(275/225)::B&M::MOMO wheel::
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,033
I'm always worried of people crashing into me at a light or stop sign. I guess it is because I don't have my brake lights on...I put it in neutral since I have a manual.
__________________
'03 3.2L GuardsRed/Blk/Blk---6Spd
Options: Litronics, 18" Carrera lights, Bose sound, Painted to match roll bars.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...Mautocross.jpg
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,510
Send a message via AIM to djomlas
no kidding, u know how many people told me that my brake lights dont work at stoplights
__________________
http://i34.tinypic.com/157yslk.jpg
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." ~F. Porsche
Gemballa springs::litronics::Eurotech 18s(275/225)::B&M::MOMO wheel::
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:50 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Smile

So I am riding on my Buell on Friday and a woman in a minivan with kids in back is sitting on a side street. She sees me come sweeping down the hill and pulls out anyway. Then she REALIZES that this was a mistake.

She then BACKS UP without looking. Well, since she is half way out in the intersection, the woman behind here in her SUV (who is on the cell phone and trying to discipline her kids in back) has already started to follow this bird out into the interspection.

I guess SHE wasn't watching the road either.

So, BAMMMMMMMMMMM! These two chicks meet back to front.

I ride gently around them as they remain in the intersection.

As I look in my mirror, I can see the confusion reign supreme.

It was priceless!

I have to say, I laughed all the way home.

What a story to remember.
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:00 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Poway, CA
Posts: 191
what has HAPPENED to the idea of paying attn to you driving when you are driving for gods sakes!

if some cell phone yapping, child waking, woman slammed into my Porsche, I would not be in a very charitable mood....

It would take every fiber of my being to not slam her head against the damaged Porsche part multiple times

AAARRRGGHHHH I hate cell phones in the car. As soon as I get in, I turn mine off. That way the temptation to answer it is gone. I think cell phones cause more accidents than pretty much everything. It seems like everybody you see here in Cali is yapping on their phone while driving. It scares the f**k outta me.
__________________
Arctic Silver 2000 Boxster 3.4l w/Sport Design Package
Supersprint Boxster S Headers/Cats/Muffler
AASCO Lt. Wt FLywheel
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:54 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 22
While I have not had an accident in my Boxster *knocks on wood*, what are the thoughts of arguing for deminished value? Meaning that once a car like a Porsche is wrecked for whatever reason - most buyers are either going to stay away from it completely or want the price reduced.

I know that everytime I have looked for one of my Porsches - I have always excluded ones that have had been in an accident.
__________________
Current - '02 C2 Cab
Previous - '83 911 SC, '88 911, '00 911, '01 Boxster S
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:24 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
So I am riding on my Buell on Friday and a woman in a minivan with kids in back is sitting on a side street. She sees me come sweeping down the hill and pulls out anyway. Then she REALIZES that this was a mistake.

She then BACKS UP without looking. Well, since she is half way out in the intersection, the woman behind here in her SUV (who is on the cell phone and trying to discipline her kids in back) has already started to follow this bird out into the interspection.

I guess SHE wasn't watching the road either.

So, BAMMMMMMMMMMM! These two chicks meet back to front.

I ride gently around them as they remain in the intersection.

As I look in my mirror, I can see the confusion reign supreme.

It was priceless!

I have to say, I laughed all the way home.

What a story to remember.
I'm not sure I would be laughing seeing that she recognized her mistake soon enough to keep you from being splattered over the pavement... It sucks that stupidity led to a crash of the other vehicles, but I would be thanking my lucky stars that it wasn't me on my bike... (I hope this doesn't sound like a nagging wife, just thankful that we didn't have to read about one of our fellow members departing early)

I wish they would at least make a law where if you are talking on a cell phone you have to use a hands free device (Chicago has this but I'm not sure how the enforcement is?). I think talking on a cell phone while driving is something we'll live/deal with the rest of our lives, but I'm hoping they will take steps to make it safer.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:50 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
I'm not sure I would be laughing seeing that she recognized her mistake soon enough to keep you from being splattered over the pavement... It sucks that stupidity led to a crash of the other vehicles, but I would be thanking my lucky stars that it wasn't me on my bike... (I hope this doesn't sound like a nagging wife, just thankful that we didn't have to read about one of our fellow members departing early)

I wish they would at least make a law where if you are talking on a cell phone you have to use a hands free device (Chicago has this but I'm not sure how the enforcement is?). I think talking on a cell phone while driving is something we'll live/deal with the rest of our lives, but I'm hoping they will take steps to make it safer.

I was in NO danger as I KNEW she was going to do this. I get these feelings on the bike and they are almost always right. Hence, I had already slowed down and could have easily done a dead stop.

So, no luck involved although I supposed she could have made a really sharp left and run up my lane and into me. Stranger things have happened with women behind the wheel.

Now, here come our female members to start hammering me!
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:53 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
PS- Thanks for the concern!
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:10 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 179
I think in addition to the cell phone phenonemon(I mean really, do you have to be talking with someone at all times?...)
I think that it's related to the "ME" attitude that everyone has, I'm first, I own the road, what are you thinking? I'm here so you better let me go.

so tiring, and it's going to get worse...




Quote:
Originally Posted by pecivil
what has HAPPENED to the idea of paying attn to you driving when you are driving for gods sakes!

if some cell phone yapping, child waking, woman slammed into my Porsche, I would not be in a very charitable mood....

It would take every fiber of my being to not slam her head against the damaged Porsche part multiple times

AAARRRGGHHHH I hate cell phones in the car. As soon as I get in, I turn mine off. That way the temptation to answer it is gone. I think cell phones cause more accidents than pretty much everything. It seems like everybody you see here in Cali is yapping on their phone while driving. It scares the f**k outta me.
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:15 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,510
Send a message via AIM to djomlas
the other day there was a special on this, driving with cellphone, and driving with handsfree, and they both were wery bad conclusion that both of them are a bad idea. not that its news to us anyways, but just to show u that u should get off the phone while driving, or just simply pull over and talk, but who in their right mind wold wanna do that, god forbid we miss an episode of some useless tv show or something of that magnitude, phew
__________________
http://i34.tinypic.com/157yslk.jpg
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." ~F. Porsche
Gemballa springs::litronics::Eurotech 18s(275/225)::B&M::MOMO wheel::
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:58 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Where the Sewer Meets the Sea, CA. USA
Posts: 2,695
Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk0001
Idiot in a Minivan yapping on the cell phone. He won't be eating turkey this thanksgiving when his insurance company gets the bill.
Picture of the damage???
__________________
--Proud Boxster Owner/Tech,

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page