Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 05:54 PM   #1
2002 Boxster S

Smoking engine after coil and spark plug change

After putting the car up on jacks I changed the oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid and PS fluid. I did not start not the car for a week and a half while I waited for parts then changed the ignition coils, plug tubes and plugs. I started the car while still up on jacks and the top in service position and the engine made a weird screeching/whinning sound and smoke came out of the engine bay, smelled like gas. Got a check engine light. I pulled the plugs and they smell like gas. Don't think they fired. I put back the original coils and same issue. All of the ignition coil clips were secure so i don't think it's that connection. I don't have a scan tool and I don't want to run the engine for very long as it starts to smoke moments after starting. Anyone have any thoughts before I flatbed it to my mechanic?

Last edited by john12312; 04-05-2021 at 05:59 PM.
john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:39 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Clearly you've a mouse problem. :chicken:

Seriously, though... what year is your car? When was last the car serviced? Any engine mods? When as the AOS last replaced? Details and data, man.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:41 AM   #3
2002 Boxster S

Thanks for the response. It's a 2002 Boxster S with 82K miles. Last serviced about 4 years ago when AOS was replaced along with plugs, brake fluid. Only about 9k miles have been driven since. Car was running fine before this event. Definitely not the AOS as a boatload of blue smoke would come out. This is a black, light smoke with a gas smell. Ordered all parts from Pelican Parts after speaking with them to ensure I was getting the right plugs and coils.I'm going too try replacing the original plugs and tubes to see what happens. I was thinking about this process and the only boneheaded thing I did that I can think of is when I went to put in a new plug the old plug was still installed and the new plug came in contact with it and maybe changed the gap. I hope that's all it is. I know I need to invest in a good scan tool and I was looking for one when this happened. I read the durametric is the best choice but I would go with any good inexpensive option. Right now, I have bigger fish to fry. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by john12312; 04-06-2021 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by john12312 View Post
After putting the car up on jacks I changed the oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid and PS fluid. I did not start not the car for a week and a half while I waited for parts then changed the ignition coils, plug tubes and plugs. I started the car while still up on jacks and the top in service position and the engine made a weird screeching/whinning sound and smoke came out of the engine bay, smelled like gas. Got a check engine light. I pulled the plugs and they smell like gas. Don't think they fired. I put back the original coils and same issue. All of the ignition coil clips were secure so i don't think it's that connection. I don't have a scan tool and I don't want to run the engine for very long as it starts to smoke moments after starting. Anyone have any thoughts before I flatbed it to my mechanic?
I think you have a few issues going on.
First a good OBDII scanner for a reasonable price is a Foxwell.
I have a 520 Pro. I think that model has been upgraded to the 530 Pro.
It does everything the Durametric does for around $175.00 and you can load multiple manufactures programs on it.

Second:
I am guessing with this so take that into account.
If you changed the plugs and now your smelling raw gas and some plugs seem like they are not firing. My guess is that you have crossed up your plug wires.
Make sure you have the coils on the correct plugs or Cylinders.

Third:
The weird screeching noise!!! Could be that the Power steering pump has not picked up the fluid yet so the pump is dry and whining.
Again Just guessing here!!
Keep us posted let us know the outcome.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I think you have a few issues going on.
First a good OBDII scanner for a reasonable price is a Foxwell.
I have a 520 Pro. I think that model has been upgraded to the 530 Pro.
It does everything the Durametric does for around $175.00 and you can load multiple manufactures programs on it.

Second:
I am guessing with this so take that into account.
If you changed the plugs and now your smelling raw gas and some plugs seem like they are not firing. My guess is that you have crossed up your plug wires.
Make sure you have the coils on the correct plugs or Cylinders.

Third:
The weird screeching noise!!! Could be that the Power steering pump has not picked up the fluid yet so the pump is dry and whining.
Again Just guessing here!!
Keep us posted let us know the outcome.
Agreed..........
Old 04-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #6

Quote:
I think that model has been upgraded to the 530 Pro.
It does everything the Durametric does for around $175.00.
No, it does not.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #7
2002 Boxster S

Thanks to all the input. The coil connectors are pretty short and only reach the cylinders they service so crossing a connector would be difficult. Unless one of the connecting plugs got messed up but again, unlikely. I'll check out that Foxwell scanner. If it can be used on Honda and Acura as well it would be great. I drained the PS fluid by the pressure line under the drivers side, filled the reservoir, turned the wheels a few times, topped off, turned wheels again, and checked level which was at the lower end of the dipstick when cold.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:39 AM   #8

Are all the coil packs wires connected all the way to the coils - those are very easy to leave loose when the plug does not give spark and if even one is not attached well, the engine runs rough and exhaust smells like raw gas... don't ask how I know
Old 04-06-2021, 11:54 AM   #9
2002 Boxster S

The Foxwell 530 may be a good fit. Looks like I could use it with other brands. The Foxwell chat doesn't respond so does anyone know if a model is specific to Cayman/Boxster or does it do all Porsches models?

Last edited by john12312; 04-06-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:59 AM   #10
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Are all the coil packs wires connected all the way to the coils - those are very easy to leave loose when the plug does not give spark and if even one is not attached well, the engine runs rough and exhaust smells like raw gas... don't ask how I know
Yes, they appear to be. That sounds like my current experience. I listened for a "click" when I connected them then pushed out to see if they would slip off and they stayed put. I'm still thinking it's something related to the coils.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #11
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
No, it does not.
JFP in PA... what is the shortfall vs Durametric?
Old 04-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #12
2002 Boxster S

Last edited by john12312; 04-06-2021 at 12:27 PM. Reason: dup post
Old 04-06-2021, 12:25 PM   #13

Quote:
It cannot activate or test several items like curse control, on board computer, etc,; it will not clear the oil change reminder on several new models, it cannot test several modules routinely tested during diagnostics, it cannot test activate several common items like the SAI, cooling fans, and VarioCam systems on several models, it cannot evaluate Tiptronic transmissions, etc. I could go on, but there is a huge difference between the two diagnostic systems.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #14
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
It cannot activate or test several items like curse control, on board computer, etc,; it will not clear the oil change reminder on several new models, it cannot test several modules routinely tested during diagnostics, it cannot test activate several common items like the SAI, cooling fans, and VarioCam systems on several models, it cannot evaluate Tiptronic transmissions, etc. I could go on, but there is a huge difference between the two diagnostic systems.
Good info. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:36 PM   #15

Quote:
That's interesting.
I have both the Durametric Pro and the Foxwell 520.
the only differences I have noticed when used on my 2000S is the Foxwell cannot activate the Cruise control or the onboard computer .
My 2000s is very basic didn't even have the cruise control option. Thus the reason I have the Durametric Pro model.
Seems the more options the car has and the newer the model the more the Durametric stands out but at a price premium.
I also like the Foxwell because I am not limited to just one manufacture.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:10 PM   #16
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
That's interesting.
I have both the Durametric Pro and the Foxwell 520.
the only differences I have noticed when used on my 2000S is the Foxwell cannot activate the Cruise control or the onboard computer .
My 2000s is very basic didn't even have the cruise control option. Thus the reason I have the Durametric Pro model.
Seems the more options the car has and the newer the model the more the Durametric stands out but at a price premium.
I also like the Foxwell because I am not limited to just one manufacture.

The Durametric is Windows based only?
Old 04-06-2021, 08:39 PM   #17

Quote:
The Durametric is Windows based only?
I believe so!
Old 04-07-2021, 06:24 AM   #18
2002 Boxster S

Thanks to all for taking time to provide feedback. Really appreciate the info.

I'll review the connections and replace the original plugs that were working fine before being replaced. Need to make a decision on a scanner. I like the price point and flexibility of the foxwell, but would like the added functions of the Durametric.. Only obstacle is my windows PC is old and needs an extension cord for power. Been using Macs for about 5 years now and have gotten used to them.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #19

I always gap my plugs before install, even brand new out of the box. I doubt wall contact will deflect them, but who knows if they got dropped in the floor by some bonehead at the factory and then put in the box. Just a thing taught to me by an old wrench turner.

I haven't heard of dry starts being an issue with these cars after oil changes, but it is a dreadful thing to happen. You will typically have a clean start followed by horrendous high pitched whining/grinding which will sometimes cause it to stall (ask me how I know this lol).

Even if you had a dry start though I doubt that's why you're smelling gas out the tailpipe. I would start with the coils - double check wiring connections (both ends). If all your plugs are gapped properly, I would replace the old coils and see how it goes.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #20

smelling raw gas on the tailpipe

A few years ago after lowering the front of the engine to replace the water pump I was not able to start the engine and got a very strong raw fuel smell..

The cause ended being the engine harness connector, right behind the firewall (987CS) as it became partially disconnected, Brad Roberts kindly suggested to check it and the engine started immediately afterwards

Good luck!

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote