Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 05:54 PM   #1
BoxsterMan
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29
Smoking engine after coil and spark plug change

After putting the car up on jacks I changed the oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid and PS fluid. I did not start not the car for a week and a half while I waited for parts then changed the ignition coils, plug tubes and plugs. I started the car while still up on jacks and the top in service position and the engine made a weird screeching/whinning sound and smoke came out of the engine bay, smelled like gas. Got a check engine light. I pulled the plugs and they smell like gas. Don't think they fired. I put back the original coils and same issue. All of the ignition coil clips were secure so i don't think it's that connection. I don't have a scan tool and I don't want to run the engine for very long as it starts to smoke moments after starting. Anyone have any thoughts before I flatbed it to my mechanic?


Last edited by john12312; 04-05-2021 at 05:59 PM.
john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:39 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 2,267
Clearly you've a mouse problem.

Seriously, though... what year is your car? When was last the car serviced? Any engine mods? When as the AOS last replaced? Details and data, man.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:41 AM   #3
BoxsterMan
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29
Thanks for the response. It's a 2002 Boxster S with 82K miles. Last serviced about 4 years ago when AOS was replaced along with plugs, brake fluid. Only about 9k miles have been driven since. Car was running fine before this event. Definitely not the AOS as a boatload of blue smoke would come out. This is a black, light smoke with a gas smell. Ordered all parts from Pelican Parts after speaking with them to ensure I was getting the right plugs and coils.I'm going too try replacing the original plugs and tubes to see what happens. I was thinking about this process and the only boneheaded thing I did that I can think of is when I went to put in a new plug the old plug was still installed and the new plug came in contact with it and maybe changed the gap. I hope that's all it is. I know I need to invest in a good scan tool and I was looking for one when this happened. I read the durametric is the best choice but I would go with any good inexpensive option. Right now, I have bigger fish to fry. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by john12312; 04-06-2021 at 05:22 AM.
john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:49 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Woodland Wa
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by john12312 View Post
After putting the car up on jacks I changed the oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid and PS fluid. I did not start not the car for a week and a half while I waited for parts then changed the ignition coils, plug tubes and plugs. I started the car while still up on jacks and the top in service position and the engine made a weird screeching/whinning sound and smoke came out of the engine bay, smelled like gas. Got a check engine light. I pulled the plugs and they smell like gas. Don't think they fired. I put back the original coils and same issue. All of the ignition coil clips were secure so i don't think it's that connection. I don't have a scan tool and I don't want to run the engine for very long as it starts to smoke moments after starting. Anyone have any thoughts before I flatbed it to my mechanic?
I think you have a few issues going on.
First a good OBDII scanner for a reasonable price is a Foxwell.
I have a 520 Pro. I think that model has been upgraded to the 530 Pro.
It does everything the Durametric does for around $175.00 and you can load multiple manufactures programs on it.

Second:
I am guessing with this so take that into account.
If you changed the plugs and now your smelling raw gas and some plugs seem like they are not firing. My guess is that you have crossed up your plug wires.
Make sure you have the coils on the correct plugs or Cylinders.

Third:
The weird screeching noise!!! Could be that the Power steering pump has not picked up the fluid yet so the pump is dry and whining.
Again Just guessing here!!
Keep us posted let us know the outcome.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tucson
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I think you have a few issues going on.
First a good OBDII scanner for a reasonable price is a Foxwell.
I have a 520 Pro. I think that model has been upgraded to the 530 Pro.
It does everything the Durametric does for around $175.00 and you can load multiple manufactures programs on it.

Second:
I am guessing with this so take that into account.
If you changed the plugs and now your smelling raw gas and some plugs seem like they are not firing. My guess is that you have crossed up your plug wires.
Make sure you have the coils on the correct plugs or Cylinders.

Third:
The weird screeching noise!!! Could be that the Power steering pump has not picked up the fluid yet so the pump is dry and whining.
Again Just guessing here!!
Keep us posted let us know the outcome.
Agreed..........
__________________
1997 Boxster in Arizona
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I think that model has been upgraded to the 530 Pro.
It does everything the Durametric does for around $175.00.
No, it does not.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #7
BoxsterMan
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29
Thanks to all the input. The coil connectors are pretty short and only reach the cylinders they service so crossing a connector would be difficult. Unless one of the connecting plugs got messed up but again, unlikely. I'll check out that Foxwell scanner. If it can be used on Honda and Acura as well it would be great. I drained the PS fluid by the pressure line under the drivers side, filled the reservoir, turned the wheels a few times, topped off, turned wheels again, and checked level which was at the lower end of the dipstick when cold.
john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:39 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Finland
Posts: 181
Are all the coil packs wires connected all the way to the coils - those are very easy to leave loose when the plug does not give spark and if even one is not attached well, the engine runs rough and exhaust smells like raw gas... don't ask how I know
__________________
Boxter 2.7 2001 Manual
pilot4fn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:54 AM   #9
BoxsterMan
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29
The Foxwell 530 may be a good fit. Looks like I could use it with other brands. The Foxwell chat doesn't respond so does anyone know if a model is specific to Cayman/Boxster or does it do all Porsches models?

Last edited by john12312; 04-06-2021 at 12:34 PM.
john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:59 AM   #10
BoxsterMan
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Are all the coil packs wires connected all the way to the coils - those are very easy to leave loose when the plug does not give spark and if even one is not attached well, the engine runs rough and exhaust smells like raw gas... don't ask how I know
Yes, they appear to be. That sounds like my current experience. I listened for a "click" when I connected them then pushed out to see if they would slip off and they stayed put. I'm still thinking it's something related to the coils.
john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #11
BoxsterMan
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
No, it does not.
JFP in PA... what is the shortfall vs Durametric?
john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #12
BoxsterMan
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29
JFP in PA... what is the shortfall vs Durametric?

Last edited by john12312; 04-06-2021 at 12:27 PM. Reason: dup post
john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:25 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by john12312 View Post
JFP in PA... what is the shortfall vs Durametric?
It cannot activate or test several items like curse control, on board computer, etc,; it will not clear the oil change reminder on several new models, it cannot test several modules routinely tested during diagnostics, it cannot test activate several common items like the SAI, cooling fans, and VarioCam systems on several models, it cannot evaluate Tiptronic transmissions, etc. I could go on, but there is a huge difference between the two diagnostic systems.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #14
BoxsterMan
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
It cannot activate or test several items like curse control, on board computer, etc,; it will not clear the oil change reminder on several new models, it cannot test several modules routinely tested during diagnostics, it cannot test activate several common items like the SAI, cooling fans, and VarioCam systems on several models, it cannot evaluate Tiptronic transmissions, etc. I could go on, but there is a huge difference between the two diagnostic systems.
Good info. Thanks.
john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:36 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Woodland Wa
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
It cannot activate or test several items like curse control, on board computer, etc,; it will not clear the oil change reminder on several new models, it cannot test several modules routinely tested during diagnostics, it cannot test activate several common items like the SAI, cooling fans, and VarioCam systems on several models, it cannot evaluate Tiptronic transmissions, etc. I could go on, but there is a huge difference between the two diagnostic systems.
That's interesting.
I have both the Durametric Pro and the Foxwell 520.
the only differences I have noticed when used on my 2000S is the Foxwell cannot activate the Cruise control or the onboard computer .
My 2000s is very basic didn't even have the cruise control option. Thus the reason I have the Durametric Pro model.
Seems the more options the car has and the newer the model the more the Durametric stands out but at a price premium.
I also like the Foxwell because I am not limited to just one manufacture.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:10 PM   #16
BoxsterMan
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
That's interesting.
I have both the Durametric Pro and the Foxwell 520.
the only differences I have noticed when used on my 2000S is the Foxwell cannot activate the Cruise control or the onboard computer .
My 2000s is very basic didn't even have the cruise control option. Thus the reason I have the Durametric Pro model.
Seems the more options the car has and the newer the model the more the Durametric stands out but at a price premium.
I also like the Foxwell because I am not limited to just one manufacture.

The Durametric is Windows based only?
john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:39 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Woodland Wa
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by john12312 View Post
The Durametric is Windows based only?
I believe so!
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:24 AM   #18
BoxsterMan
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29
Thanks to all for taking time to provide feedback. Really appreciate the info.

I'll review the connections and replace the original plugs that were working fine before being replaced. Need to make a decision on a scanner. I like the price point and flexibility of the foxwell, but would like the added functions of the Durametric.. Only obstacle is my windows PC is old and needs an extension cord for power. Been using Macs for about 5 years now and have gotten used to them.
john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: KY
Posts: 290
I always gap my plugs before install, even brand new out of the box. I doubt wall contact will deflect them, but who knows if they got dropped in the floor by some bonehead at the factory and then put in the box. Just a thing taught to me by an old wrench turner.

I haven't heard of dry starts being an issue with these cars after oil changes, but it is a dreadful thing to happen. You will typically have a clean start followed by horrendous high pitched whining/grinding which will sometimes cause it to stall (ask me how I know this lol).

Even if you had a dry start though I doubt that's why you're smelling gas out the tailpipe. I would start with the coils - double check wiring connections (both ends). If all your plugs are gapped properly, I would replace the old coils and see how it goes.




Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 Box Base, currently undergoing renegade modifications
When the owners manual says that the laws of physics can't be broken by this car, I took it as a challenge...
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,520
smelling raw gas on the tailpipe

A few years ago after lowering the front of the engine to replace the water pump I was not able to start the engine and got a very strong raw fuel smell..

The cause ended being the engine harness connector, right behind the firewall (987CS) as it became partially disconnected, Brad Roberts kindly suggested to check it and the engine started immediately afterwards

Good luck!

Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page