Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #21
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
A few years ago after lowering the front of the engine to replace the water pump I was not able to start the engine and got a very strong raw fuel smell..

The cause ended being the engine harness connector, right behind the firewall (987CS) as it became partially disconnected, Brad Roberts kindly suggested to check it and the engine started immediately afterwards

Good luck!
Is that the same as the VarioCam Harness connector?

john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:09 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
It cannot activate or test several items like curse control...
I really need the option for the curse control... it can get out of hand.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by john12312 View Post
Is that the same as the VarioCam Harness connector?
I am sorry John honestly don't know, but the harness had a good size connector (that was not 100% plugged) almost on the middle of the car about at the crank pulley height, towards the driver side, it was sitting right against the firewall..

The car was an '07 987CS
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:05 PM   #24
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I am sorry John honestly don't know, but the harness had a good size connector (that was not 100% plugged) almost on the middle of the car about at the crank pulley height, towards the driver side, it was sitting right against the firewall..

The car was an '07 987CS
Thanks. It sounds like a possibility as maybe in jacking up the car it may have twisted loose. I'm going to check that tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:41 PM   #25

When I did change new spark plugs for me the first time to this car about 1.5 -years ago to recommended four lead but otherwise 'conventional' material Bosch FGR6KQE 7413 plugs, the symptoms were very similar to yours. The engine was not happy with those, power was down and also the smell at the exhaust was very raw - not well burned gas.

The previous owned had installed NGK BKR6EQUP platinum tip four lead spark plugs. I then purchased same few day later and swapped the new NGK ones in and VOILA, the car run again very nice with bunch of power with no gas smell any more on the exhaust.
Could it be the you had a plug type issue there - were the plugs same you installed as what came out?
Old 04-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #26
2002 Boxster S

Thanks to all for the valuable input. After letting the car sit for a couple of days while I cried for help on this forum, I went back and checked the PS fluid level and the dipstick was bone dry although it had registered ok previously. After adding an ounce or so at a time, at the 7th or 8th round, the dipstick showed fluid. Started it up and the engine ran fine and the squealing gone. Blue62 was right about the PS fluid. Must've been air in the system that worked it's way out while it sat. With the car now running I was able to look underneath and saw the dark smoke was a result of some engine cleaner I had sprayed on that hadn't rinsed off the exhaust pipes. Boy did I feel dumb.

Still up in the air about which scanner to get.
It looks like the Durametric can be rented for $50 for a 10 day period so I may try that before buying. Thanks again to all!
Old 04-16-2021, 12:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by john12312 View Post
Thanks to all for the valuable input. After letting the car sit for a couple of days while I cried for help on this forum, I went back and checked the PS fluid level and the dipstick was bone dry although it had registered ok previously. After adding an ounce or so at a time, at the 7th or 8th round, the dipstick showed fluid. Started it up and the engine ran fine and the squealing gone. Blue62 was right about the PS fluid. Must've been air in the system that worked it's way out while it sat. With the car now running I was able to look underneath and saw the dark smoke was a result of some engine cleaner I had sprayed on that hadn't rinsed off the exhaust pipes. Boy did I feel dumb.

Still up in the air about which scanner to get.
It looks like the Durametric can be rented for $50 for a 10 day period so I may try that before buying. Thanks again to all!
Glad to hear you got it sorted.
The hardest part about diagnosing a car problem via the net is that other people can't see it, hear it, feel it, smell it, taste it, talk to it, or have the car talk to them.
A simple thing like not knowing you had sprayed engine cleaner on it during your work can limit diagnosis.
It could have been a key point in helping diagnose the issue.
When you don't have access to the car it is guessing at best
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #28
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Glad to hear you got it sorted.
The hardest part about diagnosing a car problem via the net is that other people can't see it, hear it, feel it, smell it, taste it, talk to it, or have the car talk to them.
A simple thing like not knowing you had sprayed engine cleaner on it during your work can limit diagnosis.
It could have been a key point in helping diagnose the issue.
When you don't have access to the car it is guessing at best
I knew I sprayed the stuff on and just forgot over all the commotion. There was a lot of built up grease and crap on the engine and tranny and thought it would be best to clean it off. I feel like a dumb ass admitting it but I thought I owed it to everyone here who helped. I thought I had added enough fluid the first time but I guess draining from the PS lines introduces some air. I'll remember that next time and hopefully it'll save someone some anguish.