Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2006, 10:42 PM   #1

What do you do?

As i was reading the "what type of watch do you wear" thread and seeing that some of your watch collections cost more than my familys house, i started wondering "what in gods name do these people do for a living"

so basically i'm 20 years old now and i'm a waiter at TGI FRIDAYS in westburry NY and i'm working 6 days (50hours) a week to be able to afford my Boxster, i apparently need to egt into whatever fields of work that some of you people are in so...

let us know (and give me some direction in life haha)

01slowbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:18 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I think you are looking for this....
http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550&highlight=occupation
Old 10-25-2006, 11:54 PM   #3

thats the one lol, thanks

looks like being an IT guy is the way to go!
Old 10-26-2006, 04:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01slowbox
thats the one lol, thanks

looks like being an IT guy is the way to go!
yap...being in the IT field is the way to go. I started as the last person in the assembly line counting PC board, sheetmetal, and screws...10 years later, SUpervisor of the IT Engineering support in one of the biggest insurance in the nation, got my self a 4Bed w/1 1/2 bath townhouse, 99' Boxster, 03' C230 and a very happy wife

....but you have mentioned you are in 20's...IMHO, get into medical field...be a Pharmacy Tech or Medical Assistant or anything that's in the medical field
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:09 AM   #5

Quote:
As i was reading the "what type of watch do you wear" thread and seeing that some of your watch collections cost more than my familys house, i started wondering "what in gods name do these people do for a living"

so basically i'm 20 years old now and i'm a waiter at TGI FRIDAYS in westburry NY and i'm working 6 days (50hours) a week to be able to afford my Boxster, i apparently need to egt into whatever fields of work that some of you people are in so...

I mean this with the best of intent... In my opinion, a Porsche is not a vehicle you want to stretch for unless you plan to have a warranty the entire period of ownership or extra money for repairs. Look through this forum and you'll find posts on the typical repairs and concerns with Boxsters. This is not a cheap vehicle to maintain/repair and if you are one of the unlucky few, an engine replacement can cost $12k-$15k.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:32 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
I don't mean to sound like anyone's dad, but a 20 year old working at a restaurant has no business driving a Boxster if you ever want to get anywhere in life. You should be putting your money to better use -- either saving and investing, or spending it on college (which is another type of investment).

If I had bought a Boxster when I graduated high school, I'd have..... a 6 year old Boxster! Instead, I put my money into school (ok-- and alcohol!), and at 24, I have a Boxster (non-S) that I purchased used, which is parked in my brand-new 5, 3.5 bedroom house. And I'm far from house-poor or car-poor. I'm not trying to brag; just pointing out the difference that can be made by delaying your automotive dreams until you've accomplished a few other things financially.

Not to say buying a Boxster young is a bad idea in general. Had I not bought a Boxster before meeting my wife, I'd probably be driving an Acura TL or something right now.

Oh, but to answer your original question, I'm a statistician for the financial services industry.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:42 AM   #7

good point there DAD! j/k
you are right...i promised my wife and 3 kids (1 in college, 1 in H/S & 1 in 2nd grade) that I would get them a house w/ their own room before I could buy one of my dream car (Porsche and M/B) I'm 38 now...for the longest time, total of 10 years, I've driven a Mercury Villager Van...215k miles to be exact before i gave it to one of the college kid that i know. It was worth it...now everytime i go home and open the garage...there's always a smile on my face...good point there Yellow! I post my garage below

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
I don't mean to sound like anyone's dad, but a 20 year old working at a restaurant has no business driving a Boxster if you ever want to get anywhere in life. You should be putting your money to better use -- either saving and investing, or spending it on college (which is another type of investment).

If I had bought a Boxster when I graduated high school, I'd have..... a 6 year old Boxster! Instead, I put my money into school (ok-- and alcohol!), and at 24, I have a Boxster (non-S) that I purchased used, which is parked in my brand-new 5, 3.5 bedroom house. And I'm far from house-poor or car-poor. I'm not trying to brag; just pointing out the difference that can be made by delaying your automotive dreams until you've accomplished a few other things financially.

Not to say buying a Boxster young is a bad idea in general. Had I not bought a Boxster before meeting my wife, I'd probably be driving an Acura TL or something right now.

Oh, but to answer your original question, I'm a statistician for the financial services industry.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:44 AM   #8

Talking

I COULD buy a $5K watch today.

How insane would that be?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:46 AM   #9

that my friend is "INSANE"...ahahahahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee

Old 10-26-2006, 07:16 AM   #10

Quote:

Unfortunately, the watch thread seems to perpetuate the typical stereotype for a Porsche owner.... More concerned with status than substance.

Yes, there are some people on this board with serious money - but most are just car enthusiasts like yourself. Some stretched for it - others bought it with no problems what so ever.

I do have to agree with YellowJacket. Stretching for a car is about the worst thing you can do. Stretch for a house? Maybe. Car? Never.

I know quite a few people in the service industry who are back in college or going to college for the first time. It won't guarantee a wealthy future - but it's a whole lot more likely than the road you're on right now. You're already a hard worker - the next step just involves finding something you want to do, the motivation to go after it, and the discipline to keep your eyes on the prize. You'd be amazed at how far a good work ethic and good attitude will take you in a field with room for advancement.

Have you spoken with your manager about advancement and/or your goals? It could really help. I have one friend who started as a waiter, became a bartender, moved up to manager, and now is the regional manager for 7 restaurants. I guarantee he's making 6 figures. My best friend skipped college and apprenticed as a pipe fitter/welder at around your same age and now makes serious cash. The common thread was they each had a goal and worked towards it....

I don't know if any of this will help - but I do admire your asking the question.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:21 AM   #11

Hi,

I wear a Breitling for Sport and a Rado for Dress, both of them good watches...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-26-2006 at 08:19 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:27 AM   #12

someone sent me this quote 11 years ago...just passing the torch

Quote:

“Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in.”

The Key to Long-Term Success
By: Brian Tracy

Successful people have been studied in depth for more than 100 years. They have been interviewed extensively to determine what it is they do and how they think that enables them to accomplish so much more than the average person.

In this Newsletter, you learn the most important single factor of long-term success and how you can build it into your personality and your attitude. You learn how to virtually guarantee yourself a great future.

The Harvard Discovery on Success
In 1970, sociologist Dr. Edward Banfield of Harvard University wrote a book entitled The Unheavenly City. He described one of the most profound studies on success and priority setting ever conducted.

Banfield’s goal was to find out how and why some people became financially independent during the course of their working lifetimes. He started off convinced that the answer to this question would be found in factors such as family background, education, intelligence, influential contacts, or some other concrete factor. What he finally discovered was that the major reason for success in life was a particular attitude of mind.

-Simplify Your Life

Do you sometimes feel that you have too little time and too much to do? Do you sometimes feel overwhelmed with all the demands of work, pressures of home, and the complexities of modern life? Now, you can learn how to simplify your life and get complete control over your time.

Develop Long Time Perspective
Banfield called this attitude “long time perspective.” He said that men and women who were the most successful in life and the most likely to move up economically were those who took the future into consideration with every decision they made in the present. He found that the longer the period of time a person took into consideration while planning and acting, the more likely it was that he would achieve greatly during his career.

For example, one of the reasons your family doctor is among the most respected people in America is because he or she has invested many years of hard work and study to finally earn the right to practice medicine. After university courses, internship, residency and practical training, a doctor may be more than 30 years old before he or she is capable of earning a good living. But from that point onward, these men and women are some of the most respected and most successful professional people in any society. They had long time perspectives.

Measure the Potential Future Impact
The key to success in setting priorities is having a long time perspective. You can tell how important something is today by measuring its potential future impact on your life.

For example, if you come home from work at night and choose to play with your children or spend time with your spouse, rather than watch TV or read the paper, you have a long time perspective. You know that investing time in the health and happiness of your children and your spouse is a very valuable, high-priority use of time. The potential future impact of quality time with your family is very high.

If you take additional courses in the evening to upgrade your skills and make yourself more valuable to your employer, you’re acting with a long time perspective. Learning something practical and useful can have a long-term effect on your career.

Practice Delayed Gratification
Economists say that the inability to delay gratification-that is, the natural tendency of individuals to spend everything they earn plus a little bit more, and the mind-set of doing what is fun, easy and enjoyable-is the primary cause of economic and personal failure in life. On the other hand, disciplining yourself to do what you know is right and important, although difficult, is the highroad to pride, self-esteem and personal satisfaction.

The long term comes soon enough, and every sacrifice that you make today will be rewarded with compound interest in the great future that lies ahead for you.

Action Exercises
Here are three steps you can take immediately to put these ideas into action.

First, think long-term. Sit down today and write out a description of your ideal life ten and twenty years into the future. This automatically develops longer-time perspective.

Second, look at everything you do in terms of its long-term potential impact on your life. Do more things that have greater long-term value to you.

Third, develop the habit of delaying gratification in small things, small expenditures, small pleasures, so that you can enjoy greater rewards and greater satisfaction in the future.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
I wear a Breitling for Sport
Hey so do I and I also have a 99! I wonder if there is a relationship there between a Breitling and a 99 Boxster. Where are all those statisticians when you need them
rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteichman
...I wonder if there is a relationship there between a Breitling and a 99 Boxster...
Hi,

Simply that they are men of refinement and taste...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee

If you could afford it, why not? :dance:
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Have you spoken with your manager about advancement and/or your goals? It could really help. I have one friend who started as a waiter, became a bartender, moved up to manager, and now is the regional manager for 7 restaurants. I guarantee he's making 6 figures. My best friend skipped college and apprenticed as a pipe fitter/welder at around your same age and now makes serious cash. The common thread was they each had a goal and worked towards it....

I guess i should have mentioned, restaurant is not my "ultimate goal". I recently hurt my foot (medical discharge from the marine corp) and am waiting on a surgury, but in the meantime im also on the waiting list for both the NYFD and NYPD, so i'll definatly be out of the restaurant soon enough.

Just looking for some alternate career options

Last edited by 01slowbox; 10-26-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:26 PM   #17

Smile

If you could afford it, why not?

I can afford it. I simply don't get the point. I can think of plenty of other things I would value more than a $5K watch.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:30 PM   #18
bmussatti

Quote:
I guess i should have mentioned, restaurant is not my "ultimate goal". I recently hurt my foot (medical discharge from the marine corp) and am waiting on a surgury, but in the meantime im also on the waiting list for both the NYFD and NYPD, so i'll definatly be out of the restaurant soon enough.

Just looking for some alternate career options

01slowbox, you sound like a hard worker. Thanks for protecting our great country, too!

Choose a career that you have passion for! This will prove most rewarding...in more ways than just financial.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #19
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
My driving watch...

Oh, and I'm in the financial industry.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Oh, and I'm in the financial industry.

That is one kick %#@ watch though....