Thread: What do you do?
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 07:16 AM   #10
denverpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01slowbox
As i was reading the "what type of watch do you wear" thread and seeing that some of your watch collections cost more than my familys house, i started wondering "what in gods name do these people do for a living"

so basically i'm 20 years old now and i'm a waiter at TGI FRIDAYS in westburry NY and i'm working 6 days (50hours) a week to be able to afford my Boxster, i apparently need to egt into whatever fields of work that some of you people are in so...

let us know (and give me some direction in life haha)
Unfortunately, the watch thread seems to perpetuate the typical stereotype for a Porsche owner.... More concerned with status than substance.

Yes, there are some people on this board with serious money - but most are just car enthusiasts like yourself. Some stretched for it - others bought it with no problems what so ever.

I do have to agree with YellowJacket. Stretching for a car is about the worst thing you can do. Stretch for a house? Maybe. Car? Never.

I know quite a few people in the service industry who are back in college or going to college for the first time. It won't guarantee a wealthy future - but it's a whole lot more likely than the road you're on right now. You're already a hard worker - the next step just involves finding something you want to do, the motivation to go after it, and the discipline to keep your eyes on the prize. You'd be amazed at how far a good work ethic and good attitude will take you in a field with room for advancement.

Have you spoken with your manager about advancement and/or your goals? It could really help. I have one friend who started as a waiter, became a bartender, moved up to manager, and now is the regional manager for 7 restaurants. I guarantee he's making 6 figures. My best friend skipped college and apprenticed as a pipe fitter/welder at around your same age and now makes serious cash. The common thread was they each had a goal and worked towards it....

I don't know if any of this will help - but I do admire your asking the question.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote