Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2020, 06:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
It sounds like you guys will forget the new o ring in the oil filter if it didn't come with it already.
Not likely.

We've learned, through time and experience, that crush washers are, by and large, re-usable. That makes them easy to blow off when purchasing parts. I use (and have for many years have used) the spin-on oil filter adapters. So I just buy spin-on oil filters at the local O'Reilly Auto Parts store. Haven't checked, but I suspect they don't stock crush rings for Boxsters (or any other P-car). So I buy the filter, don't worry about the crush ring. It's worked for years, though the various cars I've done oil changes on through the decades. Over all that time I've dripped maybe a dozen drops of oil, and that only with this past oil change in the Box.

When I order parts online, or happen to be at a Porsche dealership (rare, since I do a fair amount of my own work, and go to a favorite indy otherwise; there aren't any dealerships close anymore anyway), I'll get a crush ring or two. If I neglect to do so? No big deal. It's not that I forget to include it (as you seem to imply)...it's that I know full well I can do just fine re-using the old one.

When doing a DIY, the difference between necessity items and re-usable items? Apples and Oranges.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #22
A Porsche Guy

Of course not likely. We've all re-used crush washers more than once and it's usually due to the forgetfulness clearly like some or the occasion purchase of wrong size crush washers . I was simply stating just order a boatload since it's cheap and showing love to the sponsor . I didn't imply forgetfulness. You agreed with piper about forgetfulness and I simply responded. You sure love that crush washer ring Frodo. Don't let it rule you. That's a joke.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-26-2020 at 08:14 PM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
Order 50-100 pieces and you're set for the lifetime of your Boxster ownership . It sounds like you guys will forget the new o ring in the oil filter if it didn't come with it already.
I change the oil on mine once, maybe twice a year at most. If I bought even only 50 washers I'd never live long enough to use them all.

Also, they're re-usable. I never had a leak re-using them, and if at some point oil would start to seep out, I'd replace it at the next oil change. Having said that, if I had one handy during the oil change I'd replace it. But it's just not that high on my priority list, so it's not on my mind when I buy oil and filters.

Last edited by piper6909; 07-27-2020 at 03:50 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I change the oil on mine once, maybe twice a year at most. If I bought even only 50 washers I'd never live long enough to use them all.

Also, they're re-usable. I never had a leak re-using them, and if at some point oil would start to seep out, I'd replace it at the next oil change. Having said that, if I had one handy during the oil change I'd replace it. But it's just not that high on my priority list, so it's not on my mind when I buy oil and filters.
Precisely.
Besides, buying crush rings for the next couple dozen oil changes for a 20 year old car with 100+K on the odo just seems presumptuous, risky even. Why tempt fate? Allow me my harmless superstitions. I think our sponsor’s doing just fine without me buying a stack of his crush rings.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:40 AM   #25
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

A couple of points here...

I have the LN magnetic drain plug.

I have put 40,000 miles and 10 oil changes on it.

Zero leaks.

I have a $400 Snap-on torque wrench and use it. Every time.

I use a new crush washer. Every time.

You bought a Porsche.

And you complain about the cost of using a new crush washer every oil change?

You bought the wrong car. It’s not a Corolla.

Spend the money on crush washers for crying out loud.

Washers are cheap. Engines are expensive.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Precisely.
Besides, buying crush rings for the next couple dozen oil changes for a 20 year old car with 100+K on the odo just seems presumptuous, risky even. Why tempt fate? Allow me my harmless superstitions. I think our sponsor’s doing just fine without me buying a stack of his crush rings.
Frodo please don't worry, I have plenty of crush washers and can send some your way
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
I have the LN magnetic drain plug.

I have put 40,000 miles and 10 oil changes on it.

Zero leaks.

I have a $400 Snap-on torque wrench and use it. Every time.

I use a new crush washer. Every time.

You bought a Porsche.

And you complain about the cost of using a new crush washer every oil change?

You bought the wrong car. It’s not a Corolla.

Spend the money on crush washers for crying out loud.

Washers are cheap. Engines are expensive.
Oh this is just getting silly. You’re clearly not paying attention.

It’s not a matter of being “cheap.” It’s a matter of getting half way through an oil change and realizing you don’t happen to have a new washer. An item that experience has proven is not particularly necessary. The car’s elevated, the old oil’s out. Now I’m going to stop and order a new crush ring? That’s just being ridiculous. In the extreme.

I bought a Boxster because that’s what I wanted (not a Corolla). And 14 years/80k miles later it’s holding up quite nicely, thank you. Including the “expensive” engine.

And regarding the use of a torque wrench on every nut/bolt you have to wrench on, read Pedro’s response regarding the “need” for torque wrenches (Post #15):

Motor mount re-assembly question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Frodo please don't worry, I have plenty of crush washers and can send some your way
I'll take you up on that!
Whether or not I'll be able to find them when I tackle the next oil change is another matter altogether!
Old 07-27-2020, 06:55 AM   #28
A Porsche Guy

50pcs does seem a lot for the average driver Piper . My point guys was buy a bunch and you won't forget it for those that still don't get it.

Frodo, you wouldn't have mention that you felt a little embarrassed if you didn't feel one way or another about re-using the crush washers that many times. There's nothing wrong with properly torque-ing down things as it was intended by Porsche. I also have plenty of crush washers if needed Frodo including the Boxster S ones I accidentally bought .

Having said that, we haven't heard back from the NJBray about his magnetic plug issue. Is it the crush washer who we turned our focus on? What is the issue?

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-27-2020 at 07:06 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:27 AM   #29

Good points I suppose, but I’d be curious how many people grab the torque wrench every time they wrench anything. Acknowledging Pedro’s point that there are times when they are definitely called for, developing a “feel” for how tight to tighten nuts/bolts is nevertheless a handy skill. There are places where it is virtually impossible to use a torque wrench—it just won't fit. And regarding crush washers, I never suggested that they last forever. (Nor did piper, far as I can tell.)

In any case, this seems to be working out well: if these offers keep rolling in I’ll not have to worry about ever buying one again!
Old 07-27-2020, 07:49 AM   #30
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
All of you crush washer re-users disgust me. It's called a crush washer because it compresses and deforms to create the seal when you tighten the plug to the correct torque. One time use and then dispose.

I have never been in the middle of an oil change and then suddenly realized that I was changing the oil and needed to gather the supplies to do it. I remove that plug with planning and intent. How do you people even make it out of bed in the morning? Does your head hit the floor before feet?

I'm gonna start listing 1,500 mile oil and 'used once' crush washers for sale on eBay. It seems that there is a market.
:dance:
Old 07-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #31

So be disgusted. Without justification.

You suppose for a second that we “crush washer re-users” are so dumb that we’d continue the practice if it didn’t work out just fine? A dozen drops, 40 years of oil changes. Not even enough (by a long shot) to have to top off following discovery and correction. Statistically that amounts to an unchallengeable “perfect” in my book, batting virtually 1.000. And my one “out”? Didn’t even come close to costing me the game.

Good luck on your new eBay adventure..
Old 07-27-2020, 08:11 AM   #32

Waaaaay too many engineers on this forum all debating torque specs of drain plugs... WHO uses a torque wrench on a drain plug?!?!

I've done roughly 20000 oil changes, nary a single oil out or leak, and I've never had to use a torque wrench. Never had an issue getting a plug out either (worst case you cut the plug down and hammer on a smaller socket).

Seems like using a torque wrench on a drain plug is not only un-professional its un-advisable.

EDIT: oh and the crush washer thing... I've changed MAYBE 5 of those in my life.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
Waaaaay too many engineers on this forum all debating torque specs of drain plugs... WHO uses a torque wrench on a drain plug?!?!

I've done roughly 20000 oil changes, nary a single oil out or leak, and I've never had to use a torque wrench. Never had an issue getting a plug out either (worst case you cut the plug down and hammer on a smaller socket).

Seems like using a torque wrench on a drain plug is not only un-professional its un-advisable.

EDIT: oh and the crush washer thing... I've changed MAYBE 5 of those in my life.
A voice of reason emerges from the darkness!
Old 07-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #34

This is getting as ridiculous as an IMSB discussion.

Couple points and I'm done:
1: My Subaru parts manager told me crush washers are re-usable.
2: I've been re-using mine for over 10 years in my Subarus (Occasionally using new washers) and going on 2 on my Boxster with NO leaks.
3: If any of them happen to begin leaking, I'll replace the crush washer. (And if it does leak, it won't be a gushing leak. It'll be a slow occasional drip, so to say that you're risking your expensive motor is nothing more than hogwash. Only someone who has fallen out of bed head-first too many times would say or believe that. )

Last edited by piper6909; 07-27-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:32 AM   #35

Two in a row!!
Old 07-27-2020, 08:54 AM   #36
Who's askin'?

y'all are killin' me here......

Like others here, I bet I've changed crush-washers on oil-pans maybe a dozen times in my lifetime... and that's invariably been because I LOST IT IN THE DRAINED OIL.
I've reused literally hundreds of them.

Now, a crush-washer-under-pressure, like on a banjo-bolt or other similar installation, yeah, I'm MUCH more finicky about those. Many years ago, I bought an assortment and stuck it on the shelf. I Literally have a lifetime supply of crush-washers on the shelf, but I still reuse the crush-washer on the oil-pan.... until it gets lost.

And can we stop being disgusted with each other?
There are so many things dividing our society these days, let's not let crush-washers be one of them. Let's save that disgust for politics and face-masks.

https://www.amazon.com/DYWISHKEY-540Pcs-Automotive-Aluminum-Assortment/dp/B07NHH8JNK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=257AJ8CX31KHY&dchild=1&keywords=crush+washer+assortment&qid=1595868466&sprefix=crush+washer+ass%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-3

You're welcome.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #37
Will there be cake?

Garage
ive got my click torque wrenches and they are necessary, plus this adaptor is awesome and makes getting the right torque too easy to NOT do it.
I have the 3/8 and the 1/2:

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-ARM602-4-Digital-Adapter-4-147-6/dp/B004VYURT0

I have forgotten the crush washers many times, never and issue.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post

And can we stop being disgusted with each other?
There are so many things dividing our society these days, let's not let crush-washers be one of them. Let's save that disgust for politics and face-masks.
Once again, Maytag. You're the voice or reason. I only replied to the initial comment. I should have let it go but it's not in my nature But I'll extend a peace offering to 78F350. I hope he could tell by the emoji that I was joking.

PS: Those washers in the link you sent don't look like crush washers, they look like flat washers.

Last edited by piper6909; 07-27-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #39
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
PS: Those washers in the link you sent don't look like crush washers, they look like flat washers.
a rose by any other name.....

an aluminum flat washer IS a crush washer. intended-or-not, haha.

I just did a quick search and posted the first hit. pick your own damned assortment!

hahahaha.

And yes, extend that olive branch. 78F350 is absolutely one of the "good guys" around here. watch how quietly and with little drama he goes about helping the forum members. He never asked me for a pat on the back, but I'ma give-em up anyway.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
a rose by any other name.....

an aluminum flat washer IS a crush washer. intended-or-not, haha.
I get it that it's soft metal, but when I think crush washers I think rolled metal ones that are hollow inside and flatten as you tighten them.

I guess aluminum is more like the cheap version of brass washers.