View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 06:48 PM   #21
Frodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
It sounds like you guys will forget the new o ring in the oil filter if it didn't come with it already.
Not likely.

We've learned, through time and experience, that crush washers are, by and large, re-usable. That makes them easy to blow off when purchasing parts. I use (and have for many years have used) the spin-on oil filter adapters. So I just buy spin-on oil filters at the local O'Reilly Auto Parts store. Haven't checked, but I suspect they don't stock crush rings for Boxsters (or any other P-car). So I buy the filter, don't worry about the crush ring. It's worked for years, though the various cars I've done oil changes on through the decades. Over all that time I've dripped maybe a dozen drops of oil, and that only with this past oil change in the Box.

When I order parts online, or happen to be at a Porsche dealership (rare, since I do a fair amount of my own work, and go to a favorite indy otherwise; there aren't any dealerships close anymore anyway), I'll get a crush ring or two. If I neglect to do so? No big deal. It's not that I forget to include it (as you seem to imply)...it's that I know full well I can do just fine re-using the old one.

When doing a DIY, the difference between necessity items and re-usable items? Apples and Oranges.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote